Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
i was hooking up my tower light. and i had everthing wire up right i know this because i check like 5 times. but when i turned the on they work and then i saw under the dash that there was a lot of smoke coming from under there yup my boat had caught on fire do to the a eletrical fore but lucky it didnt do to much damage just friend all my dach light and swithes now i go a lot of work to do to it befor i can go out wakeboard
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-22-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
if you cant pay someone to do it, it cant be done!
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-22-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
What happens when you put 100 PSI of water pressure in a pipe that's rated for 40 PSI?

BOOM!!! Hope the corner is not digging chunks of PVC out of your skull.

What happens when you try to pull 80 amps through a 20 amp switch that is daisy chained off 5 other switches? BOOM!!! Hope your gas tank is sealed tight, and you have a fire extinguisher handy.

You have to use relays for large loads, or you will fry your wire, or worse.

"i had everthing wire up right i know this because i check like 5 times"

No you didn’t, or your Dash wouldn’t have caught on fire.

Please be sure you do the math on your installs if your not sure ask on this board or find out from some one. Be sure you know what you’re doing or there will be consequences.
Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
i used all of this it still caught on fire
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Brandon i hate to say this but Matt is mostly right, fires dont generally just start after a new install. Usually it was something that you thought was correct and checked it but you didnt realize it was wrong to start with. Post some info on what you wired, how it was wired, and what parts you used, maybe we can decipher the cause. Did you write out a schematic of how it would be wired??
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2004, 5:41 AM Reply   
If it was fused correctly it would have poped the fuse prior to any wire getting hot enough to start a fire.

I watched a guy replace a 20A fuse with a 40A in a brand new 1-Ton Dodge diesel p/u once because he 'couldnt figure out what was popping the fuse.' As soon as he did it, one of the wires turned into a 'toaster element' and melted everything in the dash.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-23-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Did you run fused power wires from the battery to the relay? Or did you tap into a power source in the dash? Sorry for sounding so harsh before.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Brandon: you said you did it "right", but that isn't saying how you did it.

Where did you get the primary power for the relays? (hopefully a dedicated wire run from the battery, properly fused at the battery)

Where did you get the power to to operate the relays?

Rod
Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-27-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
yes i did everything that was sopse to be done i found out that i had put 0ne wire one the wrong switch which caused it to over heat i got it fix now no more promblems thanks guys