Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
So I found a 01 xstar for sale. Here is the down low on it. Hull has 1150 hours, he said it has a new motor that was a factory recall and it has 854 hours. He has no documentation of the new motor. He has only owned the boat for 4 years. Really no records on it. Interior is good, carpet needs to be replaced. No perfect pass. I haven't seen it in person yet but he said the Gel coat should probalbly be redone.

He said he around the 18k mark? is that too high. Obviously I would have a shop completey go through the whole boat but where should we be at price wise if the shop says its good

My big concerns are the history of the boat and no records, I could call Indmar with serial number on new motor to check to verify I suppose. Also having a Complete Gel coat on my last boat I know the cost is huge. I'm hoping once I see it just needs to be wet sanded cut and buff which would be way cheaper.

What do you guys think a good price range should be to pay. Don't want to over pay but I don't want to screw the guy either.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
I think thats a tough question to answer without knowing the condition. Its just tough to know without seeing how bad the boat is.

I would suggest figuring out what the boat is worth in good shape. Then estimate the cost of the work needed. If there isn't a significant black number as the difference why bother? Like I have said in other posts like this, don't bother doing a bunch of work on a boat to break even. You end up giving all your labor away for free and spend your free time(boat time) working on a boat instead of using a boat. Doesn't make sense. Just off the cuff I don't think that boat is worth anywhere close to that is its beat. I think it would be worth 18-20K if it was well cared for. Maybe that is high considering lack of options, higher hours, and questionable history even if it was well cared for.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
If it was a factory recall take the hull and engine ID to your local MC dealer and they can punch it in and give you the history.

On the high end without knowing every option 23k with 1000 hrs is the high end for a good condition 2001 x star with all the options and the 330 motor which this is not. People tend to freak out at the 1000 hr mark, but that's only half a boat engines lifespan if cared for properly. I can tell you I am not aware of any "recall" engine issues regarding MC boats of this time period. Maybe dealer botched a winterization or it just had a bad engine. Not really something I would call a "recall" tho.

If gel and sketchy history 15 k would be good starting point imo

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-04-2013 at 2:47 PM.
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
If it was a factory recall take the hull and engine ID to your local MC dealer and they can punch it in and give you the history.

On the high end without knowing every option 23k with 1000 hrs is the high end for a good condition 2001 x star with all the options and the 330 motor. People tend to freak out at the 1000 hr mark, but that's only half a boat engines lifespan if cared for properly. I can tell you I am not aware of any "recall" engine issues regarding MC boats of this time period. Maybe dealer botched a winterization or it just had a bad engine. Not really something I would call a "recall". Tho
Even if it does have a recall he has no records of any service done to the boat. Basically your taking his word that he did all the stuff. I called the Mastercraft dealer and from what I told them they said they wouldn't touch that boat unless I could get it for 10k-12k. Too many red flags is what they said.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-04-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
So if the guy was lying and the engine wasn't replaced it has 1150 hours and if he is telling the truth it has 854 hours. I don't even know if it would matter to me as long as it checks out. I would have the compression checked. I think the boat is probably worth about what the guy is asking depending on the overall shape of everything including gelcoat, vinyl as well as everything in good working order. Also the condition of the trailer would factor in. I think a good shape, well maintained, nicely equipped, tandem trailer 2001 Xstar with under 500 hours is worth 25k-27.5k.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2013, 3:24 PM Reply   
^^^ My thoughts exactly, what the dealer said!! The local MC dealer is going to know your market better than us internet trollers!!
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
So if the guy was lying and the engine wasn't replaced it has 1150 hours and if he is telling the truth it has 854 hours. I don't even know if it would matter to me as long as it checks out. I would have the compression checked. I think the boat is probably worth about what the guy is asking depending on the overall shape of everything including gelcoat, vinyl as well as everything in good working order. Also the condition of the trailer would factor in. I think a good shape, well maintained, nicely equipped, tandem trailer 2001 Xstar with under 500 hours is worth 25k-27.5k.
He said he got a quote for the gelcoat for $3k. Needs new carpet. If the can't be verified by Indmar then like the dealer said their is no way to tell if its a marine or auto engine replaced without any documentation. The thing that scares me the most is if the gelcoat is in bad shape then that tells me how they treated the motor as well.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Trust you dealer and just leave it. Anything that seems to good to be true usually is.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
I would agree with Bill and everyone above. I would personally shy away from this just a bit due to the engine uncertainty and lack of documentation. For me project boats are diamonds in the rough for the right people with skills, time, and access to tools n shops. I always tell people start at the power plant and work outwards. Boats are pretty simple in build during those years. You can pretty much gut anything and clean it up to showroom with the right deal. With that said if you could steal this boat at say 13-14k and the engine tests/ checks out throw 3-4 k into it .............it may be that diamond for ya.

One other thing to keep in mind. Not necessarily related to this exact boat, but in your search. Just because boats don't have service records doesn't mean they are not impeccably maintained. I have done all my maintenance as do a ton of guys. Saves me a ton of $$ and I know it gets done right. The minute you walk up to a boat you should easily be able to tell at first glance on the maintenance aspect by talking with owner and a quick once over.