Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Is how I have everything correct or does the accessories need to be ran off of the 2nd battery? The reason I ask is the other day after I went to start the boat again the 1st battery was dead from the deck I assume draining the battery(the deck is wired on accessories)So when I went to crank there wasn't enough voltage to start so I had to rip everything off and wire it to the second battery. Should I run the power for the deck seperatly to battery 2 with the amp and keep the dash(accessories)on the 1st battery?

I had a Perko switch last year but thought this would be a better route if I can get it right because I always forgot to turn the switch.

(Message edited by BCRider on May 01, 2007)
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
image/tiffUpload
batteries.tif (121.6 k)
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
i can't get the diagram to show
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
this might help
Upload
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
What is the lead from the first battery to the middle part of the engine supposed to be...the starter?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-01-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
I believe that is the ground.
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-01-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Actually it's not a ground. It's the remote sense lead that comes off the regulator. It basically senses when the engine is running (and hence the alternator putting current out) by biasing the diodes inside the alternator properly for charging. The isolator (at least the sure power ones) will not work correctly if you don't hook this to correct terminal on the alternator (or regulator) It's typically wired to the exciter terminal.
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
The first battery is the "starting" battery and the lead that runs from the positive (+) terminal to the engine is going to the starter.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-02-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Dave: In the top diagrahm the direct connection from the battery to the engine is the Positive lead to the starter. In the lower diagrahm, with a switch, the lead to the starter is off the common node of the switch.

Neither diagrahm shows a remote sense alternator. Those are actually quite rare and fairly expensive to implement.

How do you charge the second battery?

It sounds to me like you might have some other problem that is causing your battery to go dead. How long had it sat between uses?

If the answer was all winter then I would say don't worry about it, recharge the battery once or twice during the winter.

If it goes dead in a week then you have soemthing drawing power than you need to find and turn off.

Rod
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
I think the deck was draining power from the first battery which was the starting battery. I will be rewiring everything this weekend. Thanks for all the help guys.