Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
OK so the deal with my mom was that she would buy me "The Book" if i registered for the SAT's and researched colleges and stuff like that. I heard that Western (in Washington) has a wakeboard team. And if i got good enought, that would be cool to do. If not wakeboarding i want to go to college for Softball. Anyway i was wondering if anyone knew of any schools that had a wakeboard team or anything like that.Im having a hard time trying to look up schools, i dont exactly know how to do it. So if anyone has any info it would help me soo much!

You can e-mail me at Sportyj10@aol.com if you have any info.

Thanx,

Jamie
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
University of TN has a waterski and wakeboard club, Mastercraft provides a new boat every year. I think it's like $30 to join. I'm not sure of any schools with official wakeboard teams, however.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Most waterski teams have wakeboard teams associated with them. Check out www.ncwsa.com for a listing of schools.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Check last months Wakeboarder- Collegiate Championships at Lake Havasu. Washington won the overall title with ASU right behind. Long Beach State has a team and i'm sure many colleges in the East have teams
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-01-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
Check out two places: 1) the collegiate posting section here on Wakeworld. 2) www.collegewakeboard.com

GO KU!
Old    7ftdubup            08-01-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Im on Team Arson
Old    wickedwake            08-01-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Me too
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Yea ive was lookin at Long Beach State, ASU, and a few from cali. I want to go somewhere warm all year long so i dont have to sit around and do nothing when its cold like the tri-cities.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
UCF has a wakeboard team i believe...not 100% sure???
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
Texas has a ski/wakeboarding team AND a great wakeboarding club. Only a few months of really cold weather down here too -- good times.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-01-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
UF has a fun one
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-01-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
It seems like College Wakeboarding has a 'National Championships' every 2 months. For those of you actually involved with a team, who do you consider the governing body?

Wakeboarding needs to have some pioneers pull together something like the NCWSA and get an actual schedule of events together so that they can take advantage of the growth possibilities. Maybe wakeboarders don't want that, I don't know??
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-01-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
Texas Tech also has one... Good times...
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
Texas State has one as well, and I've heard they pretty much dominate all the meets -- good times, but not for UT. Are you involved with the TT team nbeihl?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-02-2005, 6:04 AM Reply   
UF has been going to the WWA collegiate championship for the past few years.
Old    mddecker            08-02-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
Not sure about your academics...but Tulane has a wakeboard/water-ski club. Not all that serious, but a helluva time out on the Bayou...plus New Orleans is an alright time!
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
I am the current VP of the Texas Tech "Waterski Team". There is a lot of talking going on about getting a wake tour set up in Texas. There is a true wake tournament tentatively scheduled for the spring. NCWSA has said that they want to add wakeboarding to the tour and they have the man power, but in the past there has not been enough interest from the universities. Lets make this happen contact NCWSA and tell them you want your own division.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
What are the ups and downs for getting the NCAA involved? My school told me that they wouldn't even begin to consider it if the NCAA wasn't involved...the bastards.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
What school do you go to? You need to go through your rec sports office. The people in adminstration don't know anything except that new programs cost money.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-02-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
I've posted on this before somewhere, but I used to be president of a waterski team about a year ago. We looked into becoming a 'Varsity' sport that was overlooked by the athletic department but finally decided against it.

First off, the governing body of collegiate waterskiing/wakeboarding is USA Waterski, explain this to your school. Underneath them is the National Collegiate Waterski Association (NCWSA). At its current time, wakeboarding is lumped under the 'Trick' section of a collegiate tournament, however, wakeboard tournaments are becoming more and more popular, and now have a national tournament.

Having the NCAA involved brings on whole new level of governing to the sport. You're now subjected to higher grade standards, eligibility standards, funding standards, drug/alcohol standards, etc. The NCWSA basically has these 2 rules to be eligible:
1. You have to be in good academic standing with your university.
2. You can compete a maximum of 4 fall and 4 spring seasons on the 'A' team (during a 6 year period).

If you start a new program, I highly suggest marketing it as a waterski/wakeboard club. You'll be able to include more students in the mix.

Original Poster - Pick a college that has a good academic program for what you want to do in life. Unless your getting a wakeboard scholarship (which there isn't one to date), don't select your school soley on its wakeboard program. Down the road, your education will be what pays for this expensive sport, not your talent (unless your one of the top riders in the world).

(Message edited by 97Response on August 02, 2005)
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-02-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
actually, college wakeboarding has it's own section under USA Wakeboard now. There are roughly 12 tournaments planned for next year :-) CHeck out collegewakeboard.com for more info.. or if you have any specific questions, contact me at Rollinswake@aol.com. It's growing, don't worry.