Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Alright so here's my delema. Thinking about adding more weight in our '04 Malibu 23' LSV, but I'm not sure quite where to add it (front or rear). I hate the idea of using lead so. I wanna get a little more height and way more rampy. Right now it kinda just feels like edging up the wake and instead of getting "popped" off the wake, Keeping the same line as the wake. Kinda hard to get much height out of. I've only been riding a year I know there's a lot of technique on my part that needs to happen as well to getting more height.

Just curious for those that have or have had the 23', I know people say they need a lot more weight then the LSV's. I don't really care how wide the wake is, I'm clearing it now at 75' so. I like to keep the rope around 65' for learning new stuff and the wake is way more rampy at 75' then it is at 65' so.

Where and how much would I add some weight (ballast bags) to heighten and make the wake more rampy. Here's a quick pick at 75' so you can kinda see the difference.

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-11-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Jason ~~ I was a fan of your wake with whats going on right now.
Name:  DSC_0226.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  81.1 KB
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Ya that was with the Manual wedge and I hate using it because of the drag it has.... I wanna get the boat setup, BIG wake, without the wedge.

Last edited by A7X_LSV_23; 08-11-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: PS. Your the ONLY one that's been able to get that high on our boat. Come teach us a thing or two ;)
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-11-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Ok I will support no wedge, I rode a 05 VLX without the wedge and a little more weight and it was pretty nice. Hope somebody post's up to help you figure it out.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-11-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
I used to have that boat. More weight in the rear lockers will make the wake steeper. Don't use that as a crutch.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-11-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Put 750's in the trunk then something (400 or 750) in the walkway and then maybe another few hundred in the bow...over the stock ballast. NO wedge and it will be money!

Do you have a wakeboarding prop? You'll need to get one running this much weight. The Acme 1235 is a common choice. I love mine.
Old     (daniel74)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2010, 4:50 AM Reply   
I also ride behind an 23LSV...i fill the mid tank compleet and put some lead in the back aprox 100pounds per side...i don't use the wedge.
Further ask some friends to "tune" the wake...two near the driver two in te back(l+r). in this set up you have a realy nice wake...like more rampy, just put more in the back or empty a little bit the mid tank.
Hope this wil help you.
Goodluck!
Old     (daniel74)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2010, 4:51 AM Reply   
sorry...isaw i wrote 100 pounds... 220 pounds!
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-17-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
"I've only been riding a year I know there's a lot of technique on my part that needs to happen as well to getting more height."

If you learn the proper technique first, you might find you don't need to add nearly as much weight (and you'll burn less gas). I don't know your skill level, but I've seen first hand on several occasions people learning to ride on a boat with way too much weight in it and developing some really bad habits. The bad habits are a lot easier to correct before you develop them than they are once they're in your muscle memory.

All this being said, if you are going to add more weight, think 40% front 60% rear. Your hull can actually take a little more weight in the rear than most boats. The more weight you have front, the rampier the wake will be, the more towards the rear the steeper it will be.
Old     (daniel74)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
I agree sputts... Learn proper technique first to get hight...allthought if the wake is smooth en not to rampy basic tricks are easier..

Check also this link: http://www.slsports.com/

Last edited by daniel74; 08-17-2010 at 7:56 AM.