Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    groovin            04-19-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Has anyone rode behind a Tige with the taps system? How does Tige compare to Mastercraft? Give me some facts! I'm in the middle of an atgument with my buddy and need some outside resolution.
Old    dcoleman            04-19-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
It doesn't compare to MC. However BUY A MALIBU!!!!
Old    philv            04-19-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
The MasterCraft will give a better quality wake that is MUCH more fun to ride but the Tige is bigger on the interior of the boat. Sorry, but thats about all tige has going for them (IMO). The Tiges I have been on creek, rattel, shake, and area underpowered. The TAPS is ok for smoothing out slalom wakes but I could never understand its purpose for wakeboarding. I am under the impression that you want to make the wakeboard wakes BIGGER not smaller. I agree with Danny though......buy a Malibu (or Nautique). They are much better boats for fit and finish.
Old    butterboardwear            04-19-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Get a Supra or a Malibu
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
No sense in trying to compare…Tige??? The market has spoken, less than 100 boats RETAILED this year, even less than last year. IF there was anything to be proud of the market would have reacted and purchased from them. Hasn’t happened, smaller and smaller market share each year, even Charlie Pigeon’s marketing spin won’t save this one.

Malibu better? I guess that is true if you like lighter, cheaper vinyl, no flotation construction, a stringer system that changes from year to year, mufflers as an option, graphics from the mid 80’s, less content each year with higher prices, resale that is non existent compared to MasterCraft and Correct Craft and a ballast system that even their own pros won’t use (remember the wedge?)…what a great boat!

Correct Craft? Chopper gun floor made level by the night watchman with a tree saw, gauges that don’t work when the sun is out, awesome Nitro/Bass Pro Shops graphics package (bass fisherman are still confused by this one), a wake with troughs so large that not one of their own pro riders has not needed knee surgery, a price made 5% higher by the fact the family sells the boat to their own distribution system before it can be sold to the dealer, oh and remember that “all of our boats use a Ford engine because they make more torque” oh wait I mean the Chevy is better...or was that Ford…no, no Chevy.

Give me a MasterCraft every time…sure they have problems, all of them do, but they stand behind the product and don’t seem to have all the behind the scenes funny business going on like all the others. IMHO.
Old    xtigeman            04-19-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
After owning both and been several models of both, my opinion is that there is no comparison. MC makes/comes with a much better boat, better trailer, better cover and etc. I also like the Super Air, but would not even come close to trading my X-Star for a VLX. Toss up between the Super Air and X-Star, but I am more comfortable behind the X-Star wake wise.
Old    xtigeman            04-19-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
Tige' only sold a 100 boats. That's all. No wonder they have dealers closing (mentioned in the other post) if that is true. I know my dealer could not sale them where I live, but he sells the snot out of Mastercrafts.
Old    tbarrett            04-19-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Josh, It will be hard to find good objective opinions about Tige on this board. I would guess that those here complaining about wakes, fit and finish and power have not been behind an 03 22V with a PCM Excaliber engine with weight in the boat. If you demo the boats you want to compare you will find the right answer for you. If you subscribe to Mr. Deads insightful review everyone is crap but MasterCraft. I am sure you can see through that advice
Old    philv            04-19-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
If you pull up the wedge (or whatever), drain the ballst tanks and just DRIVE around the lake there will be absolutely no comparo.....the Malibu will drive literal circles on the competition. I have seen Mastercrafts beached from inability to turn on competition lakes, Tiges cant even go there. Build quality? You're 100% right Zed, they all have problems, but if you have to accept the problems for any boat, then the boat had be able to perform otherwise and Malibu and Nautique perform better than others (from my expirience). I have owned the X-Star, WS VLX, Supra Sunsport, Sport Nauti, and now a Calabria Pro-V.....they all have ups and downs thats for sure. I think we all agree to pass on TIGE.
Old    chadna            04-19-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
No bias here???? To me the best chioce is the VLX or Super Air if you are a good rider. For beginners the Moomba and X star are just right....

(Message edited by chadna on April 19, 2003)
Old    tbarrett            04-19-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
Phil, Let's work backwards for a second. By your profile you are 21. You have owned 5 different boats. If you had them for ooohh let's say one year each you would have purchased your first boat when you were 16. I have about as much faith in your evaluations as I do in your proclaimed experience.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-19-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Todd (chadna).
You have a pretty wakeboard in your profile.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
X-Star (X2) for beginners huh? I guess that Parks, Shane, Maeghan, Leslie, Tara, Andrew & Laura are all stuck behind a beginners boat...oh wait I'm sure that it is because MasterCraft pays them sooo much money they would never switch. Do the math; if MasterCraft, who has the most riders, paid all of them what people believe they did the boat would cost more than those overpriced SAN's!!!

Maybe...just maybe, some riders actually ride for companies that build what they like. And if you don't believe that...think about how long MasterCraft's team has been together. The X-Star (now X2) has continually improved because of the riders listed above, but by your logic I guess they are all beginners working on a beginners boat...LOL!

Oh, and don’t forget Travis Moye…who could drive for ANYONE, and has driven everything and has his own school…what does he teach from? I guess his input to MasterCraft must have been for beginners.
Old    skionone            04-19-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
Boy Zed did you pull all that information right out of your MasterCraft sales training.
You don't have bias being that you work for MC of Charlette now do you???
I don't think there is a ton you can say about BU as they kicked your butt last year!
By the way, how is that X-star working out for you!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Kicked whose butt? Which play book are you reading from? By EVERY nationally known indicator including Soundings you are wrong. Even this web site has stated that MasterCraft out sells ALL other brands. Nice try though!

As to my affiliation with MasterCraft Charlotte, hell yes I help them out and do work there part time…I’ve NEVER tried to hide that. I could have used a Hotmail, AOL or some other BS email and tried to hide who I am…but why? I believe what I’m saying and don’t need “a sales training guide” to say what I believe or know as facts.

I am biased…never said I wasn’t.
Old    groovin            04-19-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Boy oh boy have I raised some stink. I actually own a 2003 X-10 with the MCX motor in it and LOVE it! Options, performance, stlye, this boat has everything. I did the research before I dropped 50k+ for a boat and I am satisfied with my investment. I just needed some info on the Tige. Ever since Ruck won the wwa Tige has had exposure. Wanted to know if it was legit. Thanks for all the input and keep em coming. I like to polish my ego with all the Mastercraft praise!
Old    philv            04-19-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Boy Terry, you are a smart guy!!!!! Simple math doesn't elude you. I currently own a 2003 Calbria Pro-V, last year I owned a Wakesetter VLX and X-Star. My father owns (ok, I didn't) the Sport Nautique and before that we had a Supra Sunport. Terry, you are in no position to question my expertise on evaluating boats. I have been competing since I was 12 years old and been have been fortunate enough to have a family that has always been invloved with watersports. I spend 5-6 days a week seriously boarding, jumping or skiing and there is a boat from every major manufacturer available at any given time. So, what do you do that makes you more qualitfied than me?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-19-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
Two different boats, two different philosophies.....What models of MC and Tige are you arguing about? Riders Edition, X-Star, Maristar, 20v???? There isn't alot to compare and Tige always gets "slayed" anyway with this "highly objective crowd".... If it is space, performance and value? Then Tige! Or, are you arguing about bragging rights, having the same boat everbody else does and paying for a name... well then MC! And as for what "phily" has to say; well when you are old enough to have (or drive) your own boat, I would be happy to show you how TAPS manipulates the "slalom" wakes with our 2100lbs of ballast? And to solve your argument Josh, just go demo the two boats yourself??? Make your own decisions..... I certainly wouldn't let go of $50+k just because I heard it was better! Come on man....to each his own..........
Old    matt_dettman            04-19-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
Weather must be bad this weekend....
Old    skionone            04-19-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Weather sucks in Dallas!
Phil-you saw a MC beached from what you would call "chine locking" because you read it in a magazine or on this lame site! And I'm sure Terry can answer for himself but the fact that he was probably selling boats while you were still wetting your bed would convince me!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
I too live in Dallas, weather does not suck that bad, just go back in from some good water, not looking hard enough. Purchase price between the big 3 was not an issue for me, yes I like to pay less money, but 15K was not a deciding factor. I have previouc experience with all of the big 3. Price did factor in, the biggest factor was the outstanding dealer Malibu Dealer in Dallas, Waterski America, and imhio, the VLX. The good news is that if I don't like the Malibu, I can afford to buy another, I hardly think that will be a issue.
Old     (fmtpo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
i was riding behind an X-Star once, turning for a double up, and it stopped turning. went straight even with the wheel cranked all the way over. barely missed another boat and the shore.
Old    philv            04-19-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   
Oh, you have the vast history on me Bill being all of 25 (I'm 22 now BTW). Really? I saw the beached MC because I read it in a mag. or this "lame" site......wow you are almost as smart as Terry. Selling boats and riding are 2 very different things. I didn't come out and attack Terry at all.....he tried to discredit me. all I did was stand up for myself, a trait that a lot of people on here seem to find offensive for some reason. what, am I just supposed to let Terry bag on me? Is he a Tige salesman then? Figures. Better keep his resume up by the looks of things for Tige guys. Oh and thats a nice pic of your old lady in your profile. I'll look you both up next week at the Triple Crown.
Old    philv            04-19-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
THANKS DOUG!!!!! See? i am not the only one that has seen MC's not turn! Sorry about the lame slams Terry and Bill........just need to get out on the water and less computer time
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
Any boat and I repeat any boat can “chine lock”. Simple physics here folks nothing more. When the side of the boat becomes more of the running surface than the bottom…i.e. turning is a heavily weighted condition the side of the boat will overcome the force applied by the rudder. The only way to make it stop is to take away some throttle, as the boat begins to settle into the water the rudder will regain control.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-19-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Zed, you are so brainwashed. I don't think a thing you said in your original post was correct about Malibu. Is MasterCraft still brainwashing all of it's sales people with facts from the early '90's. I would bet a load of money that you haven't driven a new BU or CC in a decade. Open your eyes to the present. Oh yeah when was the last time you wakeboarded?
Old    xtigeman            04-19-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
The X-Star is a bear to turn to the left when heavily weighted (I use about 2,500 pounds). Once you get used to how it handles with weight you know how to turn it left or you take right turns. The boat running on shore story was completely different and a completely different hull. If I recall correctly, that was a prototype 190 skier.

Not that it is really a big deal, I call BS on an X-Star not turning for a double-up. The handling problem with the V-Drive occurs between about 5 mph and 10 mph when really loaded down.

(Message edited by xtigeman on April 19, 2003)
Old     (fmtpo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
it really happened. i've got it on home video back home, filmed from the shore.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-19-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
I know for a fact that an X-star (x-2) went up on the shore around a turn island with about 2 adults and 8 kids in it. Everyone had to get out and push it back into the lake. I bet you wouldn't call all those youngs kids there for a day of lessons liars. Oh yeah, can you say prostar 205. This has been fun, Peace! pray for good weather and a better economy.
Old    xtigeman            04-19-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
I have a video of big foot in my back yard playing with my dogs and eating hot dogs. Economy has been great for me.
Old    bigd            04-19-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
I was at the lake the other day and many boats of all makes were running up on slabs of concrete!!!

Lucky for the owners, a trailer was in the water in every case so there was on minor scratching if any damage at all.

All boats will be launched again unless of course their owners don't torch them because they suck (all except the Mastercrafts of course).

(Message edited by bigd on April 19, 2003)
Old    tbarrett            04-19-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
WOW, I got busy for about 4 hrs and missed all the fun. Phil, sorry about goin' wakeworld on you. I have learned a lot from younger people and just because I am an old guy doesn't mean I know everything. If you get an opportunity to ride behind a 22v give it a go and let us know what you think. Later. Terry
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
I like the fact that Ryan (h2ojnky) owns and races boats. Pretty serious racer if he is traveling to New Zealand to race. Should be know his stuff when it comes to boats. And what did he choose? The Tige. And guess what, he is not a dealer.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2003, 9:07 PM Reply   
You guys crack me up. Mines better than yours- no mines better- no mines better. bla bla bla!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-19-2003, 9:46 PM Reply   
I agree Alan....these threads do get pretty crazy! And to think I was only defending the monthly check that goes to the bank for our boat......Anyhow, to each his own! Oh and Greg thanks for giving the missus the heads up on Coble Ski School...Looks like she registered while I was gone this afternoon????? And thnaks for the "kudos" on my other hobby (profile pic)! Any time you want to go for a "real" pull I would be happy to break out the old "Awesome Aussie" Nothing like 117 mph in 2ft of water mate!
Old    wakelvr            04-19-2003, 9:53 PM Reply   

"I know for a fact that an X-star (x-2) went up on the shore around a turn island with about 2 adults and 8 kids in it."

Do you think for a minute that maybe, just maybe it was due to driver error?

By gosh, it's GOTTA BE TRUE then, if you saw it with your own eyes!!!!

Josh, I have owned two MasterCrafts (V-drive/D-drive). If you have specific questions regarding MC's, feel free to email me. Good luck!
Old    kiwihottie            04-19-2003, 10:09 PM Reply   
You tell em Stef!!!! Or better yet, maybe it could of been all of those 8 kids blocking the driver's view????
Old    wakelvr            04-19-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
Put eight kids in my boat and I'll probably beach the darn thing too!

Seriously, they're all great boats. If one was really more remarkably better than the other, don't you think the others would run out of business? They all bring a lot to the table. To each his own...
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-19-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
Nice one "kiwihottie"!! Funny how you call me out to go feed the "dingos" so you can jump online and pipe right into the old discussion board. Damn it honey.... I told you to stay off my computer!!!!!
Old    xtigeman            04-20-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Damn, Kiwihottie is appropriate . . .
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-20-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
Ryan, I found it odd responding to you & Kaetlyn in the same day. Sounds like your Kiwi may take over the show!
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Josh,
You sure stirred up a hornets' nest! Now the argument is online, but that's nothing new. Although I only recently registered on Wakeworld, I have been frequenting/reading the posts for at least a year. "Simply amazing!" Bottom line, different strokes (boats) for different folks.
Old    cassidy            04-20-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
Anyone ski a Sanger? V-210 in particular? They are pretty local to Ca and the west, popular on the Delta. Priced less, few less features, but seem to be built well.

This group seems pretty opinionated, not hesitant to share their opinion - what do you folks think.
Old    kiwihottie            04-20-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thank you kindly Doug! And to you Greg, thanks for the info on Coble. I am doing searches daily to find the best camps? Oh and by the way, you are correct! I will be taking over the show here for the McCafferty household.....(just don't tell Ryan)! I don't want him to know how much I am going to enjoy flirting with all you great guys.......(hehehe)!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-20-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
Your secret is safe with us!
Old    steveaz            04-20-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
So Kiwi and Ryan, you guys pull that new Tige up that gravel road to Arrowrock????? Who's the Tige dealer in town now? Spend much time at the WSPS?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
Steve,
Yes....we will be taking limited trips with our new Tige up to Arrow Rock!!!! The individual we bought the boat from (divorce distress sale) had a custom cover made and it seems to be okay for towing? However, the trailer is a custom Extreme and I don't look forward to all the excess maintenance and touch up that comes from frequent travel on that road! Maybe just Lucky Peak and McCall this year? Are you originally from this area? We've been here just over 8 mos but have friends all through Boise and Ketchum. The missus took a General Counsel position with a large technology company here in town. And I still commute to my base hub in Fresno. As for the Tige dealer, I was told it is now Gilbert Lake Marine in Caldwell. Have yet to go visit but have heard good things about the owner and staff. As for WSPS, we drop in occassionally for odds and ends but have never really been impressed with the help? I do most of my own engine and preventative maintenance so no need to deal with the dealerships unless warranty work! Look us up if you're ever back in the area.......
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2003, 9:54 PM Reply   
Not anymore Greg! And as for you "kiwihottie" well just have to settle this one offline.......... And Doug you just keep your large "settlements" and the new 996 TT in Memphis!
Old    mikep            04-21-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
This thread got so long I got too bored to read it, but I will leave you with this. If you haven't ridden behind the '03 Tige' 22V with extra weight you can't give a proper evaluation of Tige'. My guess is that Terry is the only one in the post besides me that has.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
I looked at both boats and I ended up buying a X2, however, I drove the 2003 Tige 22v and thought it was fantastic. My preference of the X2 over the 22v derives from almost completely subjective personal opinions. I think the boats are very comporable, however, I (and my wife) preferred the X2 a bit more. If anyone has a question as to what my subjective preferences were, I will be happy to tell you.

If any of you have actually seen the pic's of Porter and Brent's 22v,or seen the wake behind a 2003 22v, you will have a hard time reasonably saying that it is "inferior" to a Mastercraft or any other wakeboard boat (they are just a bit different, that's all.)
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-21-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
I keep hearing about this problem with the XStar (X2) turning to the left and "chine locking" causing the boat to run ashore.

As the proud owner of an 02X which I routinely run with 2100-2500 of water weight I can tell you I have had NO problems with it "chine locking" and I've got almost 100 hours on it now. We run in a cove in Dallas which requires a very tight turn at the end and have made it time and time again. I agree with Stef that maybe DRIVER ERRROR had something to do with it.

Skionone - I don't know why you thought the weather sucked in big-D - we rode yesterday on Ray Hubbard and had the glassy water to ourselves.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
Everyones always defensive about their boats. X-2 is a great boat, it would be my 3rd choice.
Just mentioning my personal experience. As for the driver, their is a reason (he) was driving at a ski/wakeboard school. Of course there is always room for human error with a boat thats overloaded with weight and in a tight turn island.
Stefanie, ever drive a boat around a tight turn island on a small ski lake? Every inch counts, and there is a much higher chance of problems than your normal boating situation. I love how always get so worked up in your post.
Malibu Rules!
Oh Doug, you must like Bush?!!
Old    bigd            04-21-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
Anyone who is against my boat is GAY!! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old    steveaz            04-21-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
This is great, been a while since we've had a good Tige bashing session, too bad most of you have no clue as to what you're talking about or are so involved with your current love you can't see past it....carry on

Ryan,
Yep, lived there for about 14 years an would never tow my boat up to Arrowrock. Used to do a lot of skiing up by Grimes creek until they made a HUGE no wake zone.
"The missus took a General Counsel position with a large technology company here in town."....Micron??? We're in the Semicunductor biz and had to leave for better jobs, used to live in Eagle.

Have you raced up the Payette yet?

WSPS: There's some good guys (I think Cory and Garth left though) there although I've always felt the owners (Tim and Bernie) were in it for the money.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
Steve.....
Not Micron- mate! (Micron just had another huge layoff?) Eagle huh.... We looked out there but found a better deal over in NE Boise (Harris Ranch) and it was closer to the lake, airport and schools we wanted. Arrow Rock is nice on the weekends compared to the mess at Lucky Peak but I do agree with the journey to get there. Although, they have paved the road to the dam now, so not as bad....As for racing, I won every year in Class A on the Payette during '89 '90,'92,'93 race campaigns (with Joe Scott) and was leading last years 2001 race for World Points. However, there was an accident and a competitor (friend) was killed when his boat capsized. The race was forfeited....Mostly, we race throughout Canada, Oregon, California, Mexico, NZ and Australia. As for WSPS, you and I share the same sentiments. I met Garth back in the day and I think I also met Cory and Karen wakeboarding at the lake? But they are no longer there.......

Oh and for the record, we used to have a Malibu, so take it easy on the Tige bashing mate!
Old    steveaz            04-21-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
You won't hear Tige bashing from me, I know what the new hulls are capable of although I haven't been behind the 22V.

We used to live off of Warm Springs, loved that area and would have moved back but job security became an issue with Zilog.

I believe I saw the race in '90...you guys are frickin' crazy...right up my alley. Sorry to hear about your friend, that's some dangerous stuff, and that river has claimed it's share.

Phil and Squirell (Justin) still work there? They're both great guys. To bad about Cory, I felt he was a great representation for the sport in that area and did a lot for that shop.

I hope you guys enjoy it there, it's a great place to live. I'll have to give you a shout when we're in town. Both of our parents still live there and we make it back once or twice a year. Let me know if you guys find yourselves in the area, we'll be happy to hook you up.

Steve

BTW, see if the tige dealer will let you on Gilbert lake, always wanted to go there.

Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
Good to know Steve! We'll have to hook up......Plenty of room here at the pad if you guys are ever through this way.

I guess Zilog is having its issues now as well?(too bad). She took the job with Hewlett Packard (international import/export legalities) And I certainly hope (for paychecks sake) her career doesn't see the same trend all the other tech companies are facing?

Anyhow, I frequent Sky Harbor 4-5 times a month for work. I'll look you up for a pull when I get a nice lay over........

Cheers...
Old    xtigeman            04-21-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
Hahaha, Steve. No long bashing threads as I have been a good boy lately. No Tige' bashing for me, even though they do suc butt. JK.
Old    steveaz            04-21-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
Doug,
Hahahaha, actually I'd say you're one of few that is basing your opinions on actual experiences, most of the others are speaking out their....uh hum.
Old    kiwihottie            04-21-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
Oh Doug, just when I was beginning to think you were a gentleman! No more "kiwihottie" for you...... Except for maybe when that very fine German automobile arrives? Always wanted to see Graceland in a Porsche........
Old    mr_tige            04-21-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
First of all, everyone who bashes tige's. i have a 02 22i type R. those who didn't understand the taps, i'll explain it. it does not just make the wake smaller.
In slalom mode(useless) the plate moves down forcing the back of the boat up, in turn making a flatter , smaller wake.
Ok, wakeboard setting, the plate moves up, creating a suction(the opposite of what an airplane wing does) which pulls the back end of the boat down into the water, and also cleans up the shape of the wake.
With a little weight in the boat it creates a very respectable wake. nothing against MC.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Mr Tige,
Before this dead horse gets dragged through the mud again! Lets just clarify what you meant to say...... As for the "airplane wing" and "suction" analogies, we'll just forget those little scenarios. And maybe suffice the explanation of TAPS with: a single point of adjustable contact (trim tab) located at transom of boat that manipulates hull attitude for optimum wake performance/adjustment while in motion. Didn't want to pee on your parade mate, but being a relatively new poster, comments and descriptions like yours tend to stir up lots of crazy, draggin threads!!
Just remember, to each his own.......

Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-22-2003, 5:32 AM Reply   
Um, mr_tige, that's a bunch of crap. Complete crap. When raised, the plate actually comes out of the water. In it's fully raised postion it has no effect on the hull whatsoever. There is no suction and certainly no effect "opposite an airplane wing." Whatever salesman sold you on that is probably still chuckling. If you want me to explain how a wake plate really works, just let me know.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-22-2003, 5:37 AM Reply   
Also, FWIW, I really like the layout on the 22R. I think that tige's design team is one of the most positive influences in wakeboarding. I really like some of their boats and their forward thinking. However, I also think that tige marketing is among the most negative and harmful influences in the sport.
Old    skionone            04-22-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
I think we can all disregard what Mr. Tige said has he has no freaking clue what he is talking about. God I hope he doesn't sell the things
Moombaman-I'm sorry, Supraman-not to drag this out but could you explain what in the world tige's marketing has done to hurt the sport?
Old    tige_joe            04-22-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Blah, blah, blah. Same old song and dance. After owning a total of 8 boats....6 being Tige. As far as my humble opinion goes....I'm a boat whore....and my allegiance goes as far as the guy driving for me, whatever the manufacturer.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-22-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
Bill, I wrote in at "5:37" and you reply at "7:41". If it took you two hours to come up with that lame "Moombaman" line, than you suck worse than tige.

Misleading people as part of an already complicated boat buying process is negative and harmful. I work in public relations and I've written my fair share of copy for external audiences, and I would be uncomfortable if I were one of the copywriters for tige. They blatently and repeatedly distort the truth and suggest that TAPS does something other than what it does (reduce wake size and lip). As has been suggested here before, it's akin to telling people their emergency brake makes their car go faster because if they release the break, it will accelerate quicker. This topic is old. I think that tige's decision to persist in this campaign about TAPS is unfortunate. What TAPS (and other wake plates) does really is great without inventing things it doesn't do. If you don't agree, I couldn't care less. I just hope you don't sell the things.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have allways considered myself an but some of you people make me feel like a nice person, something many of you are not!
Old    bigd            04-23-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
I like my Tige. It's paid for, and until I join the pro wakeboard tour (which ain't gonna happen) it's just fine for me. I've always believed that the only person who gets ripped off is the guy who believes he got ripped off. Even if he got the best deal on the best product (i.e. boat), yet still feels he got taken, he will never be happy. Some of you guys sound like that, always whining & sniping at each other, trying to pump yourself up at the expense of the other guy. It takes a lot more effort to be negative, and you get what you give. Given the option of hanging out in the backyard all summer watching the kids run through the sprinkler, all boats are great...
Old    skionone            04-23-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
You deffently do work in public relations. The last two post you said a whole bunch of BS without really saying anything. I bet you do very well in you job. Oh, and as far as my reply at 7:41 to your post at 5:37; I don't really sit here and wait for every post. You may consider getting out and doing something.
Old    byazn            04-23-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
You know I always read about all of this crap about which boat is better. I own and love my Malibu, but to be honest I would take any of the boats listed about. Sure I have my preferences on what I want. However, I am just thankful that I have a wakeboard specific boat and that I can go ride pretty much when ever I want. So as far as which boat is better... I don't care, when you do figure it out why don't you meet me at the lake cause that is where I will be in the meantime!!

P.S. I love this site!!!!
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
I own an X2 and my buddy owns a VLX. I love riding behind both boats. Both boats are awesome.
We have fun with the whole brand thing. I always threaten to put a MC sticker on his truck. I actually looked at a Tige the other day that had been traded in for a my used Prostar. It was a 21v Riders Edition. It looked pretty darn nice to me. Very roomy interior, nice fit and finish. I have no idea what the wake is like but the boat looked good anyway. My point is, I don't care what brand you own, if you like it that's all that matters.
Old    dcoleman            04-23-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Very well put Wilson!!! That what people want to hear
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
News flash from the Iraq minister

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612204257
Old    tattoobling            04-23-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
News update from the Iraq minister

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612202603
Old    tattoobling            04-23-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
A salesman at the local Malibu dealership told me that "TAPS" stands for "To Avoid Porpoising Ship". He said without that skid plate on the back the boat would porpoise endlessly. Is that true?
Old    swass            04-23-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
There's nothing worse than a dealer talkin' crap about the competition. It makes everyone look bad.

Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-23-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
Kaiser,
Your salesman was confusing TAPS with the jet-ski you bought from him.....
Old    tattoobling            04-23-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
What jet-ski is that, speedracer?
Old    skionone            04-23-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Probably the ones that you sell. Now do you sell big boats and ski boats?