Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
How's the wake on 21V's from these years? I've ridden a ton behind an 02 20V and 04-06 22V's and love the wakes.

I'm looking to get into the market for a used V-Drive (to buy next March-April) 28-30K is the ceiling on what I'll be able to spend.

I've seen a lot of 21V's (1999-2002) around 22-26K. Are the wakes much different from the Tige's I'm used to? What can I expect.

I'm an advanced level rider who would look to run 1600-2000 lbs in ballast as needed.

Thanks for any help
-Dustin
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-05-2007, 1:58 AM Reply   
With a little weight, even or less than on other boats, You'll have a wake that doesn't have to hide from any X, SAN or Bu.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-05-2007, 4:20 AM Reply   
Do a search on this board. I really like the Tige's, they are great boats. But the older (I thought pre 2003) boats doesn't pull a great wake because of the hull (lifting strakes ?). I've been behind a 2001 21V Riders, and found the wake pretty nice. But it was slammed (I think around 2000lbs+ ballast in it).
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
You can ask this question at www.tigeowners.com/forum. You will need to register but also there are a lot of people that will be able to answer your question. I am not familiar with that model and year so I am not able to comment on it. But I do know if it was well maintained, it would be a nice boat.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-05-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I rode in a 99/00 tige direct drive ( I'm assuming similar hull to the v-drive fo that year) and it had a terrible wake, probably the worst inboard wake I've ridden behind. Not only was it small but very washy regardless of speed.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Tom, I've actually heard that before on the hulls. On the older models you can see at the rear of the boat where it is lifted up, almost like a cutout. I've heard this can create spray pockets.

You're right I think this changed around 02-03 (the 02 20V doesn't have it, not sure on the 21V but I'm pretty sure 02 was the last year for that model anyways).

Thanks to all for the replies, I'll check out the tige owners site, maybe somebody's got pics of wakes there.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-05-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Guys,

I have to give you the real story here as I have owned both a 2000 Tige' 21V and I now own a 2003 22V. It's true, the 21V did have spray pockets that are not there on the 20v or the newer 22V. These spray pockets make a somewhat undesireable lip on the wake. The wake is still good and I could do all my tricks, but i found that white-washish lip to be quite annoying. This lip also prevents you from adding too much weight to the boat. I actually heard of one guy who got the spray pockets filled in and the wake was great, so if you are stuck with a 21v you may want to consider that.

When I upgraded to my 22V I have to say it was a whole different world. I ride with about 2000 pounds and the wake is the best I've ever ridden (ridden bu's, super airs, x-stars, etc). I just really like the steep shape and you can build it as big as you want. I would highly recommend moving to the 20V or the 22V instaed of the 21v.

Bottom line - the 20V and 22Vs without the spray pockets offers totally clean wakes where you can add as much weight as possible. Make sure to get lots of weight up front. I ride with about 700 up front 200 in the middle in lead and 1100 in the rear. I've ridden with over 3000 pounds in this boat and it's ridicluous.

Sorry, 21v owners, but stay away from that boat if you are buying a boat now.

(Message edited by mikeporter2000 on September 05, 2007)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-06-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
"Sorry, 21v owners, but stay away from that boat if you are buying a boat now."

I would disagree. I would contend, that just because your a rider, doesn't mean your a student of the wakescience. There is zero wrong with the sled mentioned, and it's a great example of what to do and what not to do with a towboat. You don't just add ballast and walla-done deal. You need to understand lbs. layouts, you need to account for bodies on the boat, fuel in the hole, and sac/lead counts. True, you can overweight a boat, and ruin the wake. You can also pull those lbs off and adjust your Taps too. I've never heard of anyone, here, or in the Tige owner forums, filling pockets to produce. You feel that need, you DO need another rig, because with 3g's in the floor and riders aboard, it's no longer a safe outting nor legal for that matter for this boat. Your just beggin for trouble.
There is no Towboat made in the last 8 years, that can't be TUNED like a beast. And that is real the bottom line.
I'll push it further as well. The 21V staight out the box, is already the heaviest hull in it's class. Straight, "no" ballast, the wake is fun for 75% of the riders out there. Add ballast, stay under a Ton, keep that Taps at zip, keep your boatmates spread right, there is no washy lips. You can ask a host of riders, who have ridden in mine. I'd be embarassed to own a washed out wake, but then again, I don't have that problem....
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-06-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
And Dustin, to answer your question, a 21V, with the ballast you mentioned, will have you maintaining outlaw status for years to come.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-06-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
I own a 21V (2001) and love it. Chris is dead on with the comment about the hull weight and how it is great for MOST riders. I add 300-350 lbs to either side of the engine and set the TAPS at 4-5 and the wake gets very steep and tall without getting washed. We ride at 22.5-23 MPH (GPS'd for accuracy). I'd like to add another 500 to the middle of the boat as well but I don't have another sac. either way, we make many passes without any weight in the boat and the wake doesn't wash and no one complains. Is it the BEST out there? NO. Is it good? OH yes. I pull a couple of dudes that throw 5's, Scarecrows, tantrums, Raleys, off axis 3's, etc and they don't complain- in fact I get a lot of compliments about the wake. Tige's are well built and very roomy. you'll love it.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-06-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
I own a 2001 21V and love everything about the boat. It's reliable, EASY to maintain yourself, roomy and fun for everyone that comes....including my buddy who is a pretty decent skier. I did put an XTP Edge tower on and tossed the stock one. I run 22-23, TAPS on 5 or 6, and no ballast. Wake is FUN with a capitol F!!!! I was gonna keep it a few years and trade up, but honestly....I can't stop adding things to it, and the more I do..the more I love it.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-06-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
Any body have pics of their wakes? Please include speed, ballast setup, and line length if rider is in pic.

Thanks
-Dustin

(Message edited by dyost on September 06, 2007)
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-06-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
I've rode on Chris (committed)'s Tige and didnt notice any white wash on the wake at all. I did notice that the wake was very firm and booted me more so than other "bigger" wakes. I'd like to ride it again sometime too.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2007, 1:05 AM Reply   
I have some pics, I will try to post these tonight. The wake sure is nice, pretty big. My main concern was the softness of the wake as I recall correctly.

Chris, there are for sure some people who filled the pockets of Tige 21V's with gelcoat. Do a search on TigeOwners or on this board. It firmed the wake a bit and with some high loads it reduced the white wash on the wake. Although I didn't experienced on my 21V ride. And I don't like to load my boat up. A boat should be good with standard ballast in my opinion.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-10-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
"I'm an advanced level rider who would look to run 1600-2000 lbs in ballast as needed."

The 21v may not be what your looking for then.

Porter's correct when he says there's a lip on that boats wake when heavily weighted. I've ridden behind two of them and both had a noticeable lip when loaded down heavily. The newer hulls are awesome wake makers. I've ridden behind a loaded 22v. That things wake is ridiculous, it reminds me of the SAN wake only taller and wider.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hi Guys,

By no means am I trying to intentionally put down the older Tige's. I am simply saying I have owned both and if you are an advanced rider looking for the best wake possible, I would say spend the extra money for a 20v, 22v or 24v, versus the older 21v or 23v hulls with the spray pockets. I've ridden hundreds of hours on both I can say with absolutle conviction the newer hulls make incredible wakes - much better than the older models. Good luck with the search.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
If you'd like i can dig up some pics for comparison too.