Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
So I have had bad ankles since I stopped playing basketball full time in college. Up until this year wakeboarding with my bad ankles has not been an issue until three weeks ago and I was wearing larger bindings then normal and I completely rolled it coming down on a basic wake to wake. I thought nothing of it because I have done that so much in basketball. So I waited three weeks, went out on Tuesday of this week with a lace up ankle brace and I have the 06 LF Sphyx bindings and sure enough I got off balance came down bad on the ankle and just completely @$%#$!!! it up. I haven't been to the Dr. yet and I can put pressure on it but if I walk on it too long I can somehow pop it, and this is with an air cast on, and the pain feels similar to a minor ankle sprain every time.

I'm just looking for some advice, I figure I will not be wakeboarding for awhile. I'm thinking not till sometime in August. So for now try and let it heal as best as possible and stick to surfing. I'm curious from here on out whether I will have to wrap it really well and get myself with some tighter/more supportive bindings. That or drop some coin on surgery for my ankle.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have horrible ankles, I got the watsons, because they are supposed to have really good support. They do really good, but I still usually have a good ankle stinger every once in a while. They will be weak from here on out, but if get some good support, they may sting pretty good on a fall, but you should be good to go by your next set..
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thats kind of what I was thinking about doing, getting one of the high end LF bindings either the transits or the watsons.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
No supplements? I used to have toilet tissue for ligaments.....not just ankles. I've been taking Tri-flex, Tumeric, and Omega 3 complex with Flax in it for a few months now......HUGE difference in flexibilty, and mobility and comfort....very little soreness unless the crash is big the day before.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Sphyx bindings don't have much ankle support I would look into different bindings. I have the same problem with both my ankles. I tried a couple different binding and went with 3DS tighten them up as much as you can. Also make sure you stretch before every set. It seems that every time I hurt my ankle I forgot to stretch. No shortcuts to preventing injuries.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
i jsut broke my ankle wakeboarding. i think ill stick to wakeskating instead.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
A GREAT workout for those with weak ankles is to stand on one foot with your eyes closed. It will really build up the strength in those ankles. I count my "workouts" and shoot for 2-3 minutes of total time on each leg.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Awesome, thank you for all the advice.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-05-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
I broke my ankle last summer rockin a pair of 05 Sphynx'... so I went back to my 03 Highbacks till I could get some new boots. Transits have a lil more support and are very comfy.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
Matt you are right, also try keeping your eyes closed and doing like a 1/4 or 1/2 squat-- the muscles supporting your ankle will fire big time.
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
I dont, but i saw somebody at WWA and he wore dual super nice lace up ankle braces, and was relitively happy with them. My dad talked to him about it, and he said he has always had bad ankles.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
Just a note: I picked up Ronix One's for this very reason, and could not be more pleased with them. Took some crazy spills last night that regularly would have taken my ankle out, and had no issues.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Have had bad ankles since 99- from wakeboarding mainly (old LF PRO SUCTIONS and comming up short on Raleys were the catalyst).

I did a post about this about a year or 2 ago and there were like 100+ replies so this is more common than not. The three items below seemed to be the best fix's for this.

I found this out-
1) get a high wrap- stiff binding. (HL-3ds, LF-Transits or Watsons, CWB- Fuse or Zeus's).
2) Take a tone supplements- loaded with Glucosamine (FoxrepDC has stated some good ones)
3)Do as much ankle support workouts as possible- single foot support.