Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    xtremebordgurl            11-30-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I was checking out the Ronix catalogue online and in reading about their boot technology they said that the boots were designed (i'm paraphrasing here so don't shoot me if its not 100%) to be cranked up to 140 degress and "custom cooled" to a riders foot.

My question:

What does the cooker look like? Does every shop that carries ronix get one? Do you do it in your own oven? How exactly does that work.

Sounds sick if it works well the way that it's meant to. Does anyone have any experience yet with "the cooker" any feedback or info out there?
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
It is a machine. No, every dealer doesn't just get one, but if they are smart they will buy one, we are!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-30-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I havent seen it but I know that they do the same type of thing w/some snowboard boots. Gets the mold of your foot for best fut I guess.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-30-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure every dealer either has to buy them or gets them provided to them
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-01-2006, 12:05 AM Reply   
Is this just like getting your footbeds molded for in ski boots?
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-01-2006, 3:46 AM Reply   
The people on the thread are correct...similar to liner technology you've seen in snowboard boots and ski boots. Ronix hasn't supplied dealers with the molding units-machines, but we do have them and have had great luck molding the boots we've gotten. Their goal is to truly offer a custom boot fit for each rider. Obviously going into a Ronix dealer who has the heat molding machines is key, so you will need to find dealers who are up to speed on this. That said, even without the heat molding, the boots fit incredible....but when you get them custom fitted to your feet....WOW.

Hope this helps.

Bill @ Performance
www.perfski.com
Ronix dealer #1 and proud of it!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-01-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
or an oven.......
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-01-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
It is not just the footbed, but rather the whole boot liner. The boots inner liner comes out and is able to be molded to the riders foot, so not just the footbed, but the top of the foot, top, ankle area, and calf area will be fitted to the riders foot.

As the rep told me, once heated the foam will expand. You will then place your foot(wearing the dealer supplied silk stocking) into the boot, and as it cools, the foam will evenly form around your foot eliminating any pressure points.

I just cant wait for our shop to get the goods in so I can pick up my pair.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-02-2006, 1:06 AM Reply   
This has been done with hockey skates for years. Its great to not have any uneven spots pushing in on your foot. And with as stiff as these new bindings are getting molding them in is clutch.
Old     (niko)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
It is the exact same technology as the "Intuition Liners" that ski boot companies have been using for years. They had one up at Radar for one of the dealer demo things.. pretty cool setup though.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-04-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
I have been involved heavily in the ski racing industry for several years now (Racer, Coach, Sponsor, and Rep.) and I was surprised that more action sports didnt utilize this technology.

The fit of a boot that is heat molded is something that is hard to appreciate untill you ride a ton, or spend several hours in your ski boots...

I have used the same pair of liners from Nordica for the past 3-4 years, even when replacing/updating the shells. The fit of these liners can make or break your riding experience. I am sure that this will be similiar to that of the wake boots we now see with this tech.

Also, note that LF used a similiar tech in the Shane's and Watsons. The pro liner was heat moldable.

All in all I am trying to say that this technology (often a foam or cork gel mixture) of heat molding high end performance based boots is something that will be around for a while.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
hmm so your saying i can heat my LF watsons liner somehow??

canm it be done without ruining the outer shell??

please explain the process :-)
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-04-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
Bill,

I tried on the Cell and One boots both cold and heated this past weekend. The cooker is a small machine with pipe that goes into the end of the boot that blows hot air. You could probably accomplish the same thing with a hair dryer, but it wouldn't look nearly as professional. I imagine your car could get hot enough in the summer time to have a similar effect as well.

As far as the boots go the One was my favorite. I tried on a size 11 and it felt really good. There were no pressure points and i could get the fit plenty tight. When it was hot it felt kind of gooey like a warm marshmellow.

The Cell boot was also a size 11, but the boot was so stiff that I couldn't get the laces tight enough to keep my heel from lifting. The heating did not make the cell nearly as soft as the One.

Check out the similarities to the Ride boots.
http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/boot.asp?ProductID=45&SKU=R06413,R06414#
Old     (wakeecuador)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-04-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Is this the same thing inside the LF Watson and Shanes ????
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-04-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
Could the cooker work with the LF boots?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
you know, people have been putting bindings in hot water to custome fit them for a long time.

(Message edited by texastbird on December 04, 2006)