Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Okay, Want a little feedback from you boarders. Son is age 12 and weighs 95lbs. He is currently riding a Hyperlite State 130. He can do w2w, w2w 180's along with other jumps. However he thinks the board is to heavy.

I am considering getting him a new board. Do you think the board he is on is to long. Considering a CWB Rocker.

Any input would be great...

db
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-27-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Liquid Force has a reputation for being light weight. My Watson with Shane bindings is super lightweight.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-27-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
no, not too big...hyper-"lite"s just seem to me to be heavier boards than others.

What does he mean by heavy? Heavy to carry? Or heavy like it's sticking to the water and doesnt pop off the wake well? if thats the case he might just need a different shape/style of board, like one that doesnt sit as deep in the water or have as big of fins.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-27-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
My son switched last year from Hyperlite to Liquid Force. The first time out with LF he was able to land a tantrum (at age 10). He always complained the board was holding back his rotation. Now all my kids ride LF. This year he rides a 133 PS3 with Sphinx bindings.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
My 12 year old, 105 lbs that does multiple inverts and spins is riding Liquid Force PS3 133. My 10 year old, 75 lbs can do 2 inverts rides the LF 131 Nemisis.

I hope this helps.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-27-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I love the PS3. I was on a hyperlite prior, and I believe it held me back as well.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-27-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Chuck, I think you and Linda should call eachother to see if the other is on wakeworld before posting. Ha, ha, LOL. I'm curious if you guys posted on the same topic at the same minute from different computers. If so, I think you guys have been married for too long and developed ESP with eachother.

Take care guys, just playin' whitcha.

I'd say check out the LF stuff. Great boards and light, or the CWB. The rocker is a great board. If I'm not mistaked it's the same shape as the Pure (just smaller), which is what I ride and love.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Evan,

When you have been married as long as Linda and I, you alway know what the other is thinking. However, in this case, her at home, me at work different computers. I guess we should talk more.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for the input. When I say heavy, I am referring to holding him back. Not great pop. The State is a very good edging board, I just want to push him to the next level.

db
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-27-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
What is the PS3? My son wants the Liquid Force Team 130 real bad. How do the PS3, Nemisis and Team all compare?
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-27-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
For the Hyperlite side of things, I would say a State 125, or even a Motive 119. If you get LF, stay away from the Fish, it's a joke. Have him demo a bunch of boards before you get him a new one. People on here just post personal opinions, so dont go off of them.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-27-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
My son is 15 weighs 130 lbs, he rode a State 135 last year, he has several mobes, hs&ts off axis 540's, and ts 720 that he first landed on the State. He swithced to CWB Absolute (Platinum) this year due to sponsorship. It is much lighter physically.

130 should not be to long for 12 year old but that is somewhat dependent on his strength and board control. If there is a way to demo a 124/125 it might help him some.

Progression is affected some by the board but more by technique (learning the fundamentals) and lots of time on the water.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
George, I agree with the progession. He is a outstanding athlete (now my gf's son, that a whole different thing). One of the problems is that I am divorced so I only get to get him out every other weekend.

He just started last summer.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-27-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have a couple of kids in the same age and size group as your son that ride for my shop and they are on the CWB Rocker and love the board. Its a killer shape and has molded fins and all, like Evan said its a smaller Pure witch is an absolute mold, great board for the young rippers.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Insuranceman,

I know several little rippers that ride the State. I don't think it's the board that is holding him back.

Faceplanter: The PS3 is Sovens signature board. It is IMO one of the best boards that LF makes. Alot of upper end riders like the PS3 and Watson. The Nemisis is for groms under 90 lbs. I do not know of anyone riding the Team and we ride with a lot of people.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-27-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
George...WOW your son kills it.
your right, progression is more about technique than the board. I guess what I meant to say is that the board I was on previously didnt fit my style so I struggled and the PS3 fits it to a T!
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
Liquid force boards are good, but I switched over to CWB because of sponcership, and Im lovin it! so I would say if you have a board shop that would let you demo some boards,just do that and see wich one he likes better. but Ive heard nothing but good stuff from the Rocker!