Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Collegiate Wakesports

Old                12-16-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
We need a collegiate wakeboard tour for midwest riders. I am thinking about setting one up. Anyone who is down, either post or email me at mdwicker@indiana.edu
Old                12-17-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
I'm down! just keep your progress posted.
gr8wake@yahoo.com
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-19-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
fo sho! KU has a team. Logan Adams is my hero.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-22-2004, 1:40 AM Reply   
Logans everyone's hero, even us swervers!
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-17-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
I'm in the works getting some stuff setup. Keep checking up here for new stuff. At KU, we will be having our first meeting Wednesday. Lawrence is right on a nice public lake with good marina. We are 1/2 hour away from the new Cable Park in Hillsdale, and have a private lake we can get access to just outside Lawrence. We've got a new 22v with 2k# ballast in a slip on the lake. Between Lawrence and Hillsdale we've got great spots to host events, and we'd really like to get it going.

So far, we WILL have:
1) Skiin'-Freezin' - an early season event at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri... a great time every year... traditionally waterskiiers, but last year we had a great wakeboard showing with several of the area's top riders, tons of beginners, some great boats and hella parties.

2) Cable Park Opening - CHECK THIS OUT! April 1,2,3 at the cable - three days at the cable for the price of one. There is a public lake 5 minutes from the cable that we will have boats on as well. There are campsites at the lake and several people with houses near by. There are some good bars and strip clubs close as well.

If you'd like to get in on this stuff and more, post your contact here so we can get in touch soon. As soon as I know any more details, I'll get them up.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-20-2005, 1:29 AM Reply   
Actually, Skiin' Freezin' is a K-State event and I don't know if it will go down. I do know that some stuff is in the works, but conditions last year were horrible. It will not be at last years location, I can pretty much guarantee that. Maybe near the location we stayed at Day 2. Skiin' Freezin' has been an ongoing thing since I was a freshman at K-State in '98. It was held at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan from '98-'02. I think only 2 of those actually had people on the water, the others were just parties. In '03 we moved it to Milford Reservoir outside Junction City. The lake iced over the day of the event and another big party between KSU, KU, and Iowa State ensued. Last year Julie Voss and I pushed for the event and LOTO and the KSU team approved it. It was a lot of work. We worked from fall of '03 planning the event and it was still sketchy. The Wakeboarders did have a decent day. I'll try to keep you guys up to date on what I hear about this event.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-30-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Skiin' Freezin' will be held in early April at Lake of the Ozarks. Events will include Wakeboarding/Trick/Slalom. The event will be held at the resort that was the host hotel for Day 2 of the 2003 events. I'll get more info to you when I get it. It should be huge, as we had a great turnout last year.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-30-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Nice work Nick - I knew it wouldn't fall though. Remember, Mike is opening the cable April 1, 2 and 3rd, so if the dates are up in the air, do it after that so we can all go to both... Lets get it going!
Old                01-31-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Dylan Wickersham
mdwicker@indiana.edu
IU Wakeboarding

Thats awesome, I could get a good sized group together for this...plus I'm in contact with some other schools who would definatly be down for it
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
Matt, no problem. Sounds like they really are starting pushing this hard out at K-State. Invites are going out to all the ski teams this week. The wakeboard team leader info is harder to find, so I'll just post all the information here. The date is set, I just can't remember what it is. I'll get all the information ASAP!

Old                02-02-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
I cant wait! Last year was a blast, water sucked but the company was awsome. Hope to see you guys real soon.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2005, 12:43 AM Reply   
It's going to be even better times this year. Maybe we can get thrown out of 2 hotels in one weekend!
Old                02-03-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
I know this is a little off subject but anyone know when the KC Cable park is opening up?
Old                02-03-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hey I'm a flippin idiot. I thought Matt's post was about a tournament there this spring. I just woke up or something.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
Skiin' Freezin' 7
April 2-3, 2005
Alhonna Resort
Osage Beach, MO (Lake of the Ozarks)

Teams will be staying at the Alhonna Resort (573-365-2634) and the tournament will be in that cove. Tournament will feature wakeboard, slalom, and trick skiing. I would book rooms early as teams will be coming from across the Midwest. The hotel filled up really quick last year.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-03-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
1 weekend we shouldn't do it - opening of the cable park. Mike is planning a big event for that weekend, and we're committed to going there. If skiin' freezin' can be changed, do it!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2005, 12:08 AM Reply   
No change on Skiin' Freezin' I sure, it's all built into the Midwest Region's spring schedule, if they move it back it will conflict with other tournaments. It sucks that they are the same weekend with all the stuff going on.
Old                03-10-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
i need someone to help me perfect some skills. i don't have anyone to ride with who knows what they're doing. and who is logan adams and why is he your hero???
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
Jennifer, there are a lot of good riders in the area. I would encourage you to get to some INT tournaments and start to meet some people. Also, Skiin' Freezin' is going to be fun at the Lake of the Ozarks if you wanted to meet some college riders. I don't know who is all going with the cable park opening the same weekend.

Logan is a local legend! I'm sure he could teach you a few things.

(Message edited by kstateskier on March 11, 2005)
Old                03-11-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
why is everything cool always happening when i'm going to be out of town!!!!
when y'all are having that skiin' freezin' get together, i will be in europe!!! grrrrr!
there's also a get together of dirt bike riders down in waynoka, oklahoma i wanted to go to that same weekend!
this is just not my day!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
Try to make it to the KU tournament in Lawrence. I don't know the exact date, but I'm sure Matt can post it. I would expect they are having a wakeboard tournament. I'm going to try to get to Lawrence for that tourney.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-15-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
Will post date when I know it...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-15-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
KU tournament date is April 30-May 1.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-15-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, what he said...
Old                03-15-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
I will definately make it to the KU tournament.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-16-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
I knew having friends at KU would pay off sometime...
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-28-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
All the time...
Old     (wakepunk16)      Join Date: May 2005       05-17-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
Northern Michigan University just established a wakeboard team this year and I know were down for travel if there is a tour in the Midwest, Talk had even come up of having a wakeboard comp up there if anyone would be down for the drive
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-18-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
This summer will be all about the INT. As soon as next semester starts though, lets hook it up! We had a couple tournaments/get togethers this year and they were flippin' sweet. Watch this site and collegewakeboard.com for updates towards the end of the summer
Old                06-07-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
You know what College needs a wakeboard team? Longview. IT is on a lake. It's named after the lake it's on. Why isn't there a ski team there?? Hey- I think I need to join the KU or MU or just any collegiate ski team... even though I dont go there and am graduating in Dec.. What do you guys think? KU, will you have me??
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
You could start the Longview Ski/Wake Team. All it takes under NCWSA rules is 2 participants to deem it a college team. Why would you want to join that bunch of clowns at KU?

Today was the worst day of my life, my brother got accepted to KU Med and is now officially a Jayhawk! It makes me sick. Hopefully his purple blood from his undergrad will stay strong.
Old                06-08-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
Well KState is a bit far away. I am sure there is at least one other rider at Longview... oh well, I'm grad. in a few months anyway. Fugetaboutit.