Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old    wroneal            12-21-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Hey I am really having a hard time with the raley. I am able to get enough air and stay straight, but I can not get my feet under me and leads to a nasty bust. Any tips would be great.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-21-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Tip #1: Don't do raleys :-)

Tip #2: COME SHRED WITH US!!! Alabamawake.com or ALWake.com

In order to not make this a completely worthless post, I will say... it sounds like you need to "shut the window"... meaning after you get extended, move the handle towards the water like you are closing a window... that will bring your legs back under you. But my first tip still stands... don't do raleys and come up and shred with us ;)
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-21-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Try wakeskate raleys first! I did 4 wakeskate raleys and then landed my 4th real try with no bad falls.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-21-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CORRECT
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-21-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
What Luker says about shutting the window should do the trick. it causes a sort of pendulum motion and brings your legs back down underneath you.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-21-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
If you have access to a trampoline with a rope you can learn the pendulum motion there too
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       12-21-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
make sure your legs are already starting to slide behind you as your going up the wake . but at the same time push off 2 so you dont loose that precious pop. and that way youll be extended quicker so youll have more time to bring the board back under you
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       12-21-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
make sure your legs are already starting to slide behind you as your going up the wake . but at the same time push off 2 so you dont loose that precious pop. and that way youll be extended quicker so youll have more time to bring the board back under you
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       12-21-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
sorry I just posted the same thing twice cuz the poster thing was acting wierd and it wouldnt post for like an hour
Old    wroneal            12-21-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
thanks for the help. I'm going to ride tomorrow and ill put up a pic after I land it.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       12-22-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
sounds good! good luck!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-22-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
So if I can champion raley's on a trampoline, and do other raley based tricks on a trampoline as well very smoothly, would you say i am ready to do them on the water? Or would people still reccomend doing a few wakeskate tries first?
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-22-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
I would suggest filming it and watching it. Sometimes what it feels like you are doing and what you are actually doing are very different.

That aside, you may not be throwing the trick hard enough. If you let your legs just drift up behind you after you leave the wake you will have a more difficult time getting them back down. If you get horizontal in a hurry, at your full extension point you should feel something similar to a spring effect in the rope, almost like a snap at the top. That will help switch your momentum.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-23-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
Dan, i would recommend progressing from the tramp to the wakeskate then to your wakeboard. The wakeskate will give you the feeling of the board getting pushed out behind you but will allow you to bail a little safer if you need to.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-23-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
what do u guys mean doing it with wake skate? like bailing from the skate or holding onto it with one hand?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-23-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Bailing. ^^
and then try to land it as if you were still attached to a board EXCEPT you want to keep your feet together to protect that area bellow the belt
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-24-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Anyone have video of themselves learning to raley on a wakeskate?
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-24-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_UDnbT4gk

its in there somewhere. shows every attempt until successful.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-24-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I took them straight from the tramp to the water. just make sure you can do some HUGE HS jumps to the flats. What I learned is it's all about commitment, if you're not committed to it on the way in, you're screwed. Come in hot, making sure to put equal weight on both feet (otherwise you'll stargaze), edge all the way through and let your hips drift out. LOOK AT THE BOAT!!!!! Very very important. I've landed them without doing this, but it's never good and once you have that down, they come a lot easier. When you extend off the wake, just think about looking at the boat, then once you look at it, tell yourself you have to pull it back in, then push the handle down while spotting your landing
It seems like a lot, but really, the keys are coming in hot, look at the boat while letting the board go behind you, then push the handle down while spotting your landing
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-28-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
sooooooooooooooooo HEY William did ya try it?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-28-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
steve, nice riding bro!!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-28-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yea, nice vid steve! Raleys are about 3:15
Old    wroneal            12-29-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
Sorry I have been at my hunting camp. I tried it and was extremely close, so hopefully ill be able to get it next time.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-30-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
nice dont give up
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-30-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
awesome vid! I knew my wakeskate would come in handy!