Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (zdeb7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Two Questions:

1) Thoughts on a replacement prop? Go to my dealer, or is there a better option?

2) This is my first inboard, so I've never done this before. My assumption is this should be something I can do myself pretty easily (if I'm off base, please let me know). Does anyone know of a link for instructions on how to do this and what tools I'll need?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-11-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
a prop puller is really all you need. (Some will tell you a 2x4 and a hammer) They're not that expensive, but its a matter of how many times in your life will you need it. Yea, it is something you could do yourself, but kinda why bother.

Take a six pack, a twenty and the new prop to your dealer. If that doesn't get it done, i'd be careful with my next purchase.
Old     (zdeb7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, the dealer is about 200 miles from where I keep the boat, so if I can do it myself, it'll save me a whole lot of hassle...
Old    mendo247            06-11-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
what prop are you gonna run?

ive been looking at upgrading..
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
You'll need a prop puller which you should have anyway since you will have a spare prop after you buy the second one. If you buy an Acme which is what comes stock on Sangers', detailed instructions will be included. As far as which one, you need to know how much total weight you will be running on a regular basis. Include people and gear and ballast. If you know the weight that would help us determine what prop you might want to go with. Karl @ www.boarditup.com has awesome pricing and top notch service if your looking for a good source.
Old     (zdeb7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
I've got the Wake Series II package, so that plus my wife and kid and usually another couple + a cooler. Can't remember the specs on the triple ballast, but the people and cooler would probably be an incremental 750 pounds or so.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-12-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Well your boat should of come with the Acme 525 stock. Look on the rear end of the prop hub and it will give you the Acme #. Basicaly if you're going to run stock ballast and a few people, say up to 1700lbs or so total, the Acme 653 will do great. If you will be regularly going over 2000lbs, go with the Acme 911.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2007, 11:52 PM Reply   
danny, you can definely do it yourself at home, get that prop puller and just do it once and you will be ready for this in event it happens at the lake and you dont want to ruin the weekend. it is a skill you should have. read the instruction and then a couple of quick tips. the main nut that holds the prop on losin it almost till its off but leave it on a couple turns. because when you go to pull it and the nut is all the way off that damaged prop is going to shoot off quick and now you just doubled the damage and or you are going to cut your leg open. second tip while you are in the process of applying the puller keep a small 2x4 wedged inbetween the prop and the hull to keep the prop from spinning. and final tip, make sure you put the codder pin back in and that nut is the proper tightness. do it once and you will do it everytime with no problems. good luck. oh ya see if anyone on ww is close to you and would not mine lending a puller and a hand.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
My best advice is call ACME or OJ Props, if you’re local to the East Bay call Kevin’s Prop Shop. Talk with the guys that are the professionals at what you will truly need for what you’re doing with your boat. If your not adding (significant) additional weight stay with the stock prop witch is a 13 X 13 3 blade prop. Props are very temperamental to the performance of your boat a change in prop could affect the performance of your boat to something you’re not expecting and to your dissatisfaction so talk with who you buy it from and make sure you are able to exchange if you do not get the results you were told to expect.