Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-25-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Hi,

I was doing my spring check-up on the boat. I noticed the rear engine mount nut, port side, was loose.

Could it be an indicator of bad engine alignement?

I was told that if the engine-drivetrain wasn't aligned properly, I would feel vibrations. Is it possible that even with little or no vibration, it would need alignment, or is it pretty obvious something's wrong?

Thanks
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-26-2011, 3:09 AM Reply   
If the top lock nut is loose the lower, weight bearing adjustment may or may not have spun down causing a change in engine alignment.
Mis-alignment wont always cause a noticeable vibration but will promote more rapid shaft seal leak and strut bearing wear.
Only one way to find out.
It is a good idea to check alignment occasionally anyway.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-26-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
I have my boat check by the my mechanic every year when I change the oil in the spring. A little extra peace of mind and less money out of your pocket over time.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-26-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Align the engine, it's likely out if the adjusting nuts were loose. Check the rubber bushings too, if they are cracked or otherwise degraded they should be replaced.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-29-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks for all the input.

I've called many shops around the area, and nobody wants to do the job on my boat. In the Montreal area, we see very little wakeboats, and apparently shops over here won't even touch them. There is one marina two hours away, that might do it....

So what i've been doing so far: -because, unless there is a major problem worth traveling four hours back and forth, i'm on my own-

- Checked the gaps on the hub (BOLTED). Everything is fine, no gaps.
- Looked at the shaft in drive position, and visualy no side to side vibration.
- I can turn my prop with one hand no problem, and there is no ''hard spots'' while turning it, both directions.

I didn't unbolt the hub, it is very hard to reach, and don't want to risk screwing it up.

My boat is a 2008 with 160hrs. Alignement was never checked since I bought it new last year.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-29-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
There should be no more than .003" anywhere between the hub to v-drive connection.Had you used the boat recently when you turned the prop?If it turns that easy dry you may need to check the bearings in your strut,if it's wet it will turn easy.The bearings in the strut are water lubed,so when dry it should take a little torque to spin the shaft.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-29-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Do the alignment yourself. It's very simple and easy to do. You need to unbolt the coupler from the transmission and hold the coupler against the drive flange on the transmission. Then try to get your feeler gauges between the flange and coupler. Try all the way around it, at 12:00, 3, 6, and 9. Adjust motor mounts as necessary to close up any gap. You want it within .003" and ideally as close as you can get it to perfect. If there is a gap at the bottom, lower the front of the engine, or raise the rear for fine adjustment. If there is a gap on the starboard side, you can slide the front of the engine to the starboard side, or if a small gap you might be able to raise just the port side of the engine. Pretty simple when you think about it.

No reason to drive 4 hours each way for this. With a $5 tool (feeler gauges), a couple wrenches, and an hour of your time you should be able to get it aligned. At the very least you can unbolt the coupler and see if it's still within spec or if it needs adjusted. Unbolting the coupler and bolting it back up will not change anything in your alignment.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-29-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
I understand the basics of aligning, just can't work around the engine and tranny in my boat. I don't know about your v-drives, but everything on mine is hard to reach. I can barely see and touch the coupler. I can try undo all the hoses, but I doubt it would be any easier to get to.

Before I undo everything in the way, are any of the points I mentionned above are indicators of a good alignment?
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-29-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Just because you don't feel any vibrations does not mean your motor and prop shaft a aligned. The only way to tell is to loosen the 4 bolts on the propshaft to vdrive or tranny coupler and check the gap. Its easy and should be done yearly like an oil change. Just do it. After you check it spin both couplers 180 degrees the gap should be the same , if it changes at all then you either have a bent shaft or bad couplers.

Last edited by docdrs; 05-29-2011 at 6:42 PM.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-30-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Do you remove the bolts completely or just loosen them to have a bit of play?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-30-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
If it's easier just loosen them so the nuts are barely threaded on. Pull the coupler off the flange, then push it back on and go at it with your feeler gauges. No need to completely remove them if they're difficult to get back in.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-13-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
I got it aligned by a pro. Charged me 200$... Considering it can save me a tranny and a v-drive i guess this is worth it.