Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-22-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
Bitter sweet to trade in my first wakeboat (2008 Moomba XLV) on a 2011 Axis A22. Only reason I did it was because I am totally disappointed in the Moomba XLV wakeboarding wake. I'm a beginner with just a few trick/jumps under me but the XLV needed too much speed to have a good, clean/crisp wake even with no ballast. To get a decent wake was at 23mph and even then one side had slight wash. I've heard nothing but good things about the A22 and that it can have a very clean wake at low speeds for beginners and/or to learn new tricks at slower speeds. I've also heard the A22 is very stable and not weight sensitive in keeping a clean wake even if a passenger moves around in the boat. The XLV was a nightmare to set up with passengers.

Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Wow, the boat looks killer. I've heard of some loading issues with the XLV but I hope it's not that extreme, since I JUST got mine! It was about another $9k for a used A22 though.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-22-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
John, it's pretty disappointing. Under 24mph you'll have wash on one side of the wake or the other. The side the rider is cutting out on and jumping on will be clean but the opposite side (landing wake) will be wash. Good luck trying to teach someone new how to jump below 21-22mph. you'll have to use a really short line because at those speeds the wake washes out on both sides at long line. I was constanting hitting ballast switches to tweak the balance left and right on my XLV...it sucked and this is with only a crew of 3 or 4. So it's that weight sensitive. On the plus side, the wakesurf wake is very nice especially on the regular side with 1100lb v-drive sacs in the rear and an extra 400lb sac on the surf side seat.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-22-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Great looking A22!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-22-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
Nice looking boat A.J. Hope this one works for you,but i've been in alot of boats at many speeds and all need a pretty even[side to side]weight distribution.As for speed,most boats wakes clean up at 15 to 16 mph on a 60 ft line.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BOATING!

Last edited by cwb4me; 05-22-2011 at 1:39 PM.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
I took the XLV out today, and I did have some wash one one side. It wasn't deal-breaking but i'll probably try to tune it out once I get some more weight in the boat.

Post more pics when you get it in the water! I may trade (up?) to an A22 in a couple years, we'll see how it goes.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-22-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
beautiful boat...havent had a set behind an axis yet....they are just starting to show up in austin.

as for the opposite side wash---i am an intermediate rider and have never had an adverse issue due to opposite side wash affecting my landings, clean, sketchy or otherwise...in my opinion it is a mental block, but if it affects you, then i am in no position to argue. i will say that opposite side wash is exacerbated by cutting out extremely hard and the letting off, allowing the boat be pulled over and to "roll" on its forward axis. it only gets worse if you are taking a non progressive, raley cut w/o taking the raley edge thru the wake. if you take a progressive cut in letting the boat pull you, then set your edge in the face of the wake, you dont pull the boat over, and the opposite side wash is minimized.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-22-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
^^^ Just bought mine from Central Texas Watersports in Round Rock . As for the wake having one side with wash...that's not the main issue I didn't like on my XLV. The XLV just does not allow for riding at slower speeds without wash on both wakes...say below 22mph. I'm glad I made the switch nonetheless to Axis. I'm still a noob so I like knowing I have a top notch wake to build a foundation off of...can't blame the boat for sure on this one. By the way CTWS only got 6 Axis boats allocated to them and a few were bought out of the area. They only have one left for the rest of 2011 until the 2012's come out. I'll be the only A22 on Belton Lake
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-22-2011, 8:25 PM Reply   
We went to TEXAS in April to burlson,fort worth,dallas and abeliene.We went to New Braunfels austin and San Antonio in 09.IT'S a great BIG state.ENJOY YOUR NEW BOAT.