Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-12-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
hey,
im picking up my 97 sport nautique next week (im in oz and imported), ive never surfed before (behind a boat) and wondering if my 6' gun would get me up and surfing behind the boat. What would be the best weighting for my boat? Also i have seen in a video a dude paddling into a boat wake for surfing, do you have to have a pretty monster wake wave for that or would i be able to achieve it in my naut.?? thanks in advance
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-13-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
I use a 6' 1" when teaching people, so yes it should do fine. Weight the back and one side--I'd put some weight in the front also. Put as much weight in as you think is safe. Remember to drive slow--9 miles an hour is a good starting point. I normally start by holding the rope but I can also start on my belly while holding the rope and then let go while on my belly and paddle in but I've never tried just paddling in without the rope. However, I've seen people do it, so if you're a good surfer you could. Good luck.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-13-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
thanks for that. Ok so would a 250kg sack in the back a 150 in the front and 150 to one side be enough do you think. Im aussie so its in kg's... Anyside thats better then the other to weight?
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-13-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
I think you have a right hand prop which means driver side should be the best. Ocean surf boards are tough but give it a try. That is what we started with.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-13-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
sweet thanks, i really wanna learn that paddle in start. I live about 12 hours from the beach and about 20 from a surfable one, so a bit of outback surfing would be awesome. I once tried to get up on a small fish and ripped my shoulder out...that was starting lying down but at wakeboard length rope.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-14-2010, 1:33 AM Reply   
I had a 90 Ski Sanger once and I used 750 lbs. across the back seat, 750 behind the drover's seat, and 350 in the front--it was a closed bow and I liked to surf like this guy--check out the link below. Paddling in could be dangerous because with a 6' 1" board, you're close to the platform and I have to really load my front foot up to keep going but I also weigh 180 lbs. My opinion is you need a huge wake to just paddle in. I've seen videos of people paddling in behind a tugboat. Check out You Tube, Inland Surfer and this link. Good luck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAjUt6Kh-Xw
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-14-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Do you have a tower. If so get a surf length rope about 20 feet or 3 meters and get up like a wake board. With a short rope and a tower it is very easy on the body. May not as cool as paddling in but will give the feel much quicker. Dennis may be able to help on the best board. He explained why great ocean boards do not always make great wakesurf boards.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-14-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Jeff, that much weight should give you a reasonable surf wake on that boat. When weighting you want to generate list to the side you are surfing on so your front weight is off to the side as is your back weight. Adjust the front and back weight balance to give you a good shape and length pocket. Your boat speed is really important in getting the pocket right Usually it's under 20kph.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-14-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
thanks guys, i'll try it out in the next fortnight and post some pictures.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-18-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
The guy paddling in, was that the end of UpDog (I think...) Murray surfing way back on the second wake (on a wakeboard rope) and had the boat going in circles?

I've skurfed a 6'4 but never tried wake surfing. Doesn't look like many of the wake surf boards have a lot of rocker in them so it might be a bit slow depending on what type of rocker your board has. Having said that I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-18-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
Good luck on getting your Natique to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DcibAnW_E