Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I currently have a in/out service at my marina and have some questions about powering a sound system. I have decided to hold off on getting a Wake boat and live with my crownline for a few more seasons. With that being said I ordered a tower which is being installed.

My question has to do with powering a decent sound system (say 6 speakers in the boat, a sub and 2 tower speakers). Would all of this run on 2 batteries?? And my second question would be, since I am not keeping the boat in my garage and don't have access to power would my alternator do the job recharging the batteries or is this too much without access to a power outlet?

thanks guys
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
A lot of people on here will suggest an onboard charging system. The alternator can only recharge up to 90%.
Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
does that onboard charge system need to be plugged in to a power outlet to charge the batts?? At my marina I dont have access to any power at all.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-25-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Your two batteries will be just fine assuming your amp isn't absolutely huge. I have 3 amps in my boat and 2 optima batteries. I play loud music constantly and I've never had a problem.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
They have portable charging systems. Maybe that would work?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-25-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
your alt should be fine. solar panels?

Portable charging -- anything more than a jumpbox?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-25-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
I have 6 speakers, 1 sub and two amps on two batts charged by a 65 amp alt and have never had an issue either.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
A solar panel set up is a great option, I have one and it has worked perfect for me. 15 watt panel on the roof with a smart charger.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-25-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
When you are actually driving the boat the alternator will charge the batteries.

When you sit with the engine off and play the stereo it will discharge the batteries.

When the boat is sitting idle but the stereo is not on it will be reasonably neutral.

The need for a battery charger other than the alternator will be based on which you do more of: Sitting and listening to the stereo or driving the boat.

I have ~ 1200 watts of amplifier driving 6 tower speakers, 6 inside speakers and a pair of 10" subs. We rarely sit and listen, and when we do it is usually less than an hour or so. I have a stock alternator, and like others have said, I have never had a problem.

Rod
Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
thanks for all the comments, looks like I should be ok then, im not planning on going crazy with a system, just something that sounds decent. Any suggestions on gear? 6 speakers a sub amp and tower speakers for under 1500K - 2000k?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
What is your goal with this system? Do you want something that sounds good in the boat, or do you want something that the rider can hear?

Also, with 6 speakers, sub, and amp. You will need at least 2 amps. Most would suggest 3 amps.
Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I would def want something that the rider would hear, that is the main goal.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Doug -

First, do you know the maximum amp output of our alternator? What size engine is in the Crownline? If you want to run 6 interior speakers, 2 tower speakers and 1 sub you should get two separate amps - one Class D for the sub and a 4-channel amp for the tower speakers. You will have to wire 4 of the interior speakers in parallel and connect them to 2 channels of the amp, then wire the 2 tower speakers and the other 2 interior speakers in parallel and wire those into the other 2 channels of the 4-channel amp. You could use the power from the headunit to run 4 of the speakers then use the 4-channel amp to run the other 4 speakers. This way your 4-channel amp would not be running at 2 ohms and heat up as much.

I run 4 interior speakers, 4 tower speakers and 1 sub off 3 separate amps. I have a 650W amp of the interior speakers, a 850W amp for the tower speakers and a 600W amp for the sub. I have a total of 3 batteries (2 blue top Optimas for the stereo) and 1 for the "house" or engine and boat accessories. I also upgraded my alternator to output 101A.
Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have a Merc 5.0 L Alpha - 220 v8. As for output of the alternator I have no idea, how can I find that out?
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Doug -

The max output should be on a tag located on the side of the alternator. To give you an idea of size, my boat has a 8.1L (496 cu in) big block engine and the alternator output was only 51A.

I would guess the output of your alternator will be around 50A.

You may be able to go onto the Mercurser (spelling???) website and find it out also.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Doug,

If your main goal is to hear the music while riding. I would consider wetsounds or NVS. I have the Pro 80s and a pair is plenty loud to hear while riding. They also have pro 60s. I haven't heard them, but I am sure they are also as loud with a little less bass.

Also, why do you need 6 interior speakers? I guess you are replacing the existing speakers? And, the rider wont be able to hear the sub. Subs are cool, but not necessary. With your budget, I would consider getting what will sound best for the rider, then think about all the interior components.