Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    thrashmetash            08-29-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
I'm an intermediate rider and usually ride on a small to medium wake. Getting close to landing an invert. I've narrowed it down to the HL Premier, LF Substance, and CWB Absolute. They all seem like great boards but I'm not able to demo any of them where I am. I think I'm going to get either LF Transits or LF Alpha bindings. Does that limit me to a LF board??

Please no board company bashing as I really have no preference. Anyone tried all 3 boards?
Thanks for all opinions/advice !!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
I've ridden the Substance a few times and the Absolute for the last three years. In my opinion, the Absolute does everything a little better. Speed is similar; I think the Absolute pops harder; I certainly think it lands way softer. Biggest difference is I think the Substance rides tighter. It's locked down much more than the Absolute, especially if you remove the fins from both boards. Evan Brown would be the guy to talk to. He has spent a lot of time on all three boards.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
Yes I have. All three boards are sick! The Premier is the slowest (of the three), but pops really hard. The Substance has the hardest landings (of the three), but is a great all around board. The Absolute is the fastest and when finless with be the loosest (is that a word? man I'm ghetto) I used to ride the Absolute so that was my favorite, but I don't think you could go wrong with any.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
I would recommend the Absolute. It lands the softest out of all 3 by far. I ride the subtsance because I can ride it finless and still lock an edge very well. I haven't ridden the new premier. If you're riding a small to medium wake you probably won't be worried that much about landings, you might consider the LF Omega also. You can put any bindings on any board.
Old    7ftdubup            08-29-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
i know nothing about the absolute, go with a 142 substance or a 141 premier, i have ridden both and they ride similar. Premier is better in rough water
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-29-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
i've ridden all 3. absolute, hands down, for me.

absolute - huge pop, soft landings, great tracking, semi-loose w/ center fin, not super fast, but not slow at all

substance - big pop, hard landings, grippy w/ center fin, pretty slow

premier - big pop, hard landings, slow as hell, grippy w/ center fin
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Joe - did you ever ride the Substance and Premier without the center fin? I always rode the Premier and Substance without the center fin, and when I rode the Absolute without the center fin, I didn't like it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-29-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
yeah, i actually liked the absolute w/o the center fin vs. the substance and premier w/o their center fins.
Old    socalgrl79            08-29-2005, 11:58 PM Reply   
AntBug,

Wow.. you ARE ghetto! I love it!

-Amy
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden the Absolute with the center fin, but it was too loose for me without it. I think I'm gonna stick with my substance until it breaks.
Old    jhair            08-30-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Get the Absolute and the Transits. Same setup as me! I've ridden the other boards, the Absolute is definitely better all around.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
I've been riding a 2002 Absolute since it came out and have no complaints. Being a old dude (almost 40) I'm a fan of the soft landings which the Absolute is delivers. I hear the newer Absolute Platinum is lighter so I'll probably opt for a board change when I start adding Geritol Ice cubes to my G&T's. See if you can find a Demo day planned for your local lake, failing that it looks like the Absolute is leading in this post's popularity contest and a choice you wont regret.
Old    tommcat            08-30-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
I havent tried all three but i have an 05 absolute with 05 transits and absolutely love this set up.
Old    cinekw            08-30-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
How is the LF Fish compare to those three boards ?.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
I haven't tried the SUB, but I own the others, and the Absolute is the sickest all around performer. Just to much fun. The others are either collecting dust or are used for beginners to get their feet wet.
If you can demo, try them all and see what you like best.
Good luck.

(Message edited by committed on August 30, 2005)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-30-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
J-Rod was right. I've spent a full season on each of these boards.... They all fit my riding style really well and do a lot of things in a very similar manner. Here's the run down:

Premier: slow, very stable, so-so pop, really good board to get your basics on as it's very predictable. Liked that board. A little too much fin for my preference. Very heavy.

Substance: spent alot of time on it. Tons and tons of pop, hard landings, tracks really well into the wake. Loose when cruising, tight when edging to the wake. Has a killer snap. I'd ride it one size bigger than normal. Very light.

Absolute is my current ride. Loose all the time. Makes you really focus on your edging techniques and riding all they way up the wake. Works soo well on a big wake. 3" rocker gives tons of straight up pop. tracks great on landings. Lands OK (not as soft as one might expect with the huge ridge down the center, but maybe because it goes soo big). Also a very light board.

This is all with the center fins out. None of these boards need the center fin unless you are a beginner. The Absolute it the only one bordering on being too loose, but it's soo fun and makes you a better rider. Anyway, for what its worth I've got an '06 Absolute on the way with some '06 Zeus or Fuse bindings. Sick set up.
Old    thrashmetash            08-30-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks for all your comments. The consensus seems to be to go with the Absolute. I was kind of leaning that direction anyway but it feels so much better for some reason to hear it from all of you. Thank you!
Old    zboomer            08-30-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Regardless of the consensus here, you might not prefer the board most other's do. I found that out fast when I demo'd a bunch of boards. I've wasted a lot of $ going by forum consensus in the past.

I would demo all of the ones you're interested in and make your own choice. For me I can't fathom a nicer board than the Substance, but it's all about personal preference.
Old    thrashmetash            08-30-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more with you Boomer. But here's the thing, it's going to take a good bit of time and money for me to travel (fly or drive) somewhere where I can demo all these boards. I can demo Hyperlites pretty easy but the Premier is last on the list of the three boards. If I don't like the Absolute then I'll sell it at a loss but no more than I would have lost traveling around. I'll then do the whole thing over again with the Substance. Hopefully I can minimize the cycle by getting as many opinions as possible. But you're right, in the end they are only personal preferences and may or may not apply to me.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
Glad i read the post. i've been riding 04 dna premier for 2 years. i'm getting better this year(have a 04 vlx)landing some backrolls,tantrums,trying 3's. i like trying to get that big "straight up" pop that keeps you hanging in the air a while. the board seems to work ok but it is HEAVY. the only other board i've rode is murray honeycomb. i know howard asked the question,but maybe the absolute or substance would be better?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
The Absolute Platinum is sooo light. The honeycomb boards were really light too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
I would recommend buying a used board so your loss is less if you dislike. Or, if you buy the Absolute, go with an 05 on close out prices. The 06 is the same shape on the bottom.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-31-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
so I am going to hijack just a bit here. I am in the same boat as Howard, and dont have too much ability to demo. I have ridden the premier, and I did like it. it was a little slow, but I can deal with that, as I am trying to focus on going up, and not out into the flats with everything. what about the Ricky G?? how does that compare with the premier or the absolute?? it sounds like everyone is really big on the absolute, but wanted to hear if anyone has ridden the Ricky G.
thanks.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. going out thurs. do not know if larson marine in stockton demos boards or even has the absolute, but i'll give it a try.
Old    zboomer            08-31-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Thomas, I've always heard the Ricky-G rides a lot like the Premier, but I've never tried one.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-31-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
the Ricky G and the '03 Premier, '04 Era, are all damn near identical. If you've ridden one of the 3 you've ridden them all.

I don't know how the Ricky G rides compares to the new premier, but that shape (ricky g/old era/old premier) is a proven shape and it works very well.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-31-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. one more quick question. the premier is almost 2 cm wider in the tip, than the Ricky G. what kind of difference would this make??
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-07-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Umali: You obviously know a lot about boards and have riden quit a few that are out there. Need your feedback on the Substance versus the Marius. Are they 2 completely different boards, or can they be compared? What are your likes and dislikes of both? Thanks in advance.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
yes, 2 completely different boards.

substance - 3stage rocker, big & abrupt pop, slow, super grippy w/ center fin, great edge hold, hard landings

likes - big pop
dislikes - hard landings, super grippy w/ center fin

marius - continuous rocker, big pop, not too fast, not too slow, super soft landings, great edge hold, grippy w/ center fin, fast edge-to-edge transition

likes - big pop, super soft landings
dislikes - haven't found it yet

(Message edited by dakid on September 07, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Joe. You're riding the Marius with the center fin?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
yeah, i suck too much to ride it w/o the center fin.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-07-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
Joe...thanks for finding my question and posting. Great feedback, I appreciate it. So the Marius has all the pop you need to pull any of your tricks even though it is a continuous rocker (or hybrid rocker)? Basically what I'm asking I guess is someone looking for big but manageable pop would not be disappointed in the Marius?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
i was surprised myself that;

a. i'm riding a board w/ continuous rocker,
b. the board still pops more up than out.

you would not be disappointed w/ a marius.

can you demo 1 from a local shop? that's the only way to know whether you'll like the board or not.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-07-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
Joe, I really want to demo one bad, but having a tough time finding a shop that has a demo here. The shops I've been to pretty much have everything else for demo except the Marius. I demo'd a Premier this past weekend and found the pop was good enough for me, but the board was just so freakin slow...especially to me coming from a true continuous rocker. This shop (which is actually Buywake.com's local store...Ambush Riding Company) sells CWB, HL, LF and all the others, they just don't have a Marius demo. There are a few other shops here that I'm going to try.....I really want to ride the Marius to find out for myself and to see what everyone is talking about. I've never heard or seen anyone post that they didn't like it, so its got to be legit. And as a beginner, it sounds like it might be a forgiving board that will enable me to progress on whereas something like a Substance or Absolute might be a little bit too aggressive for my current ability. I'm going to work on tracking down a Marius demo...I think you're right, best way to know is to get out there and ride it. Thanks!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
do you know who the cwb rep is? if you don't have any luck w/ the shops, he/she may be your best bet to demo the marius.

good luck!
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-07-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
ah...good idea. The local shop might be able to tell me who the local rep is and then I could pick one off of them. Thanks for the idea.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-07-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Joe,

I am going to try a Marius Friday. It is a demo board with a center fin. Just curious if you have tried it w/o the center fin. I took the fins off my 04 Absolute, and will never put it back in. Really changed the board, and my riding. Lotsa fun. Just curious how the Marius will compare. You have seen me ride, so you know it won't be anything big or spectacular!!

I ride an 04 Absolute w/o center fins, and 04 Transits - Really nice set-up.

Also have an 04 Parks with 05 Transits L/E. Really nice too, but definately a whole different ride. I am looking at .7 fins for the Parks to loosen it up a bit. Just about kill myself trying to get it to slide.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Howard,

depending on how heavy you are (I'm 205lbs) the ERA might be an option as well. I wanted to move up to a three stage from my Motive a couple of months ago and asked Joe for a few suggestions.

I rode the other two and liked the pop of both but the landings were super hard on a guy my size.

I tried the ERA on a whim and ending up buying it. Basically the ERA is the same as the Premier only faster due to the scallops they've put in the board. I like the blended three stage, it gives me about the same pop as an abrupt three stage, but is forgiving like the continuous.

The only down side of the board in my opinion is the weight. I went with the big boy 147 and my friends have nick named it the picnic table.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
Buzz: I ride the Marius finless. Its looser than the finless absolute. Lot of fun if you have your edging down. You really have to be on it.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
J-Rod: i Picked up that Marius and it felt huge....how is it on the water....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
buzz, i haven't ridden the marius w/o its center fin yet. i have to try it one day though.

kellan, i know you asked jrod, but in my opinion, the marius doesn't ride nearly as big as it looks.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
thanks joe. I've considered demoing it a few times but i ussually end up grabbing something else. It feels like it weighs a ton but again i could be decieved....
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-08-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
I have the unique opportunity to purchase some boards cheap and I wanted to throw a couple more into the mix.

Should I get the Absolute or Absolute Plat. Would it be worth it to get the flame? I hear it is the '04 Absolute?

I want to figure out which board fits me best. I currently have an '04 Premier DNA.

So I am getting:
'06 Absolute or Plat
'06 Marius
'06 Substance
Maybe a '06 Flame

Is there anything I am leaving out of this list that would be wroth my time/money to get.
Old    thrashmetash            09-12-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Well, I bought an '05 Absolute Plat and LF Alpha bindings, they should be here tomorrow. This is a really great time to buy as many places are offering closeout prices. I was set on the Transits but couldn't pass up an insane price on the Alphas. Will update you all once I get them out on the water!
Old    thrashmetash            09-14-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
Took the new board out this morning. The weather didn't cooperate completely but wasn't as choppy as it is sometimes. It was cold, 45 degrees, no other boats on the lake. Anyway I really liked the board and immediately felt very comfortable. I left the .75 center fins in but I'll try it without them next time when the water is a bit better. The board has a big SMOOTH pop. Of all the boards I've ridden (not many, Belmont, Byerly, and some older boards) this one definately has the smoothest pop and certainly just as big. Landings felt great but I don't really go huge so it's not usually an issue unless I land flat. The new Alphas felt pretty stiff and because of that I didn't feel locked in as much as I like. I assume they will break in though, right?

Anyway, I am completely stoked with the board. Thanks for all your comments!