Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-13-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
So I had an exceptionally warm day and I figured it was perfect to remove the shrink wrap and throw the boat in the garage. I had spent the fall waxing, cleaning, and protecting every surface inside and out and then I find this.
Upload
So far it looks just like surface mold and a preliminary cleaning with 3M and a magic eraser did OK. Any thoughts on the best way to get the funk off and not trash my interior that once was in great shape?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-13-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
aww man that sux.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-13-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
That sucks man, sorry that happened.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
Yep. About 1/5th of household bleach in a spray bottle and 4/5ths water. Spray it on the mold on the vinyl and let it sit out in the sun. In a few hours it should be gone and you can wash it off if you're worried about any residue.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
oh I dont like to see that, that is what I have on my boat. Did you have a vent on it? and then some some gaps around the boat to let air in, from under the wrap?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
yeah that sucks... make sure you do it in the open air too... that mold can be nasty.
I am strongly against people shrink wrapping their boats... it always happens unless you are 100% sure it is completely completely bone dry. just use the cover and keep a fan in there to keep air circulating and dry. it needs to breath a bit.... good luck man... you will get it as good as new, but it will take some elbow grease
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
ouch man hope you can get it off
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-13-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
there is a product, dont know what is called off the top of my head, but you stick a few of these canasters throughout the boat and it sucks up all the moisture. kind of like a baking soda. works excellent.
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-13-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
its called damp-rid. i have 3 of them in our boat at the moment. Just make sure to check on them every so often
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-13-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
That sucks. Man, you would have been better off without a cover.
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2008, 2:46 AM Reply   
There were vents, the spots the mold is bad is where the wrap actually had contact with the cushions.
Old    nwwakerider            03-14-2008, 2:56 AM Reply   
Thats too bad, similar thing happened to me last season. I use Dri-Z-Air now, which takes the moisture out. I have two in my boat now and it has collected literally a gallon of water since october
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2008, 4:13 AM Reply   
Anyone try this?
Upload
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2008, 4:25 AM Reply   
Hey man, sorry to see your boat looking like that. Mine looked like that after a long sit under the cover last summer. I went to Wal-Mart and got some marine mold/mildew remover, oxy power fantastik, and 4 boxes of Mr Clean magic erasers. Pulled the boat out into the sun and started working. First thing I did was remove any cushion that could be removed, just makes moving around and cleaning easier. I sprayed the mildew remover on there, let it sit for just a minute, then scrubbed with the magic eraser. Once it was clean I rinsed it REALLY well with a water hose. On places that weren't mildewed I used the fantastik and magic eraser. After about 3-4 hours of hard work the vinyl seriously looked brand new. It was amazing how clean it was. To protect it and add the moisture that the mildew cleaner may have dried out I coated everything in Formula 303. That was in October and the boat has been covered in my garage since November, checked on it the other day and not a single spot of mildew had come back.
Hope that helps and good luck.
Tiff
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2008, 5:29 AM Reply   
Whoah!

Tiffany is alive and posting!

That's just surface mold. Magic eraser and the mold and mildew cleaner will take it right out. To prevent it from happening next year spray a heavy dose of 303 on the fabric before you store it away. In Seatttle that can happen in a couple weeks if you store your boat outside.

(Message edited by Seattle on March 14, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-14-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
damn dude that really sucks sorry to hear that
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
phil did you put the little moisture packs in them that help wiht and moisture that was left in the baot. when shrink wrapping a boat it HAS to be totally dry. and totally dry everywhere.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
You can put all the moisture packs in it you want but if this boat doesn't get direct sunlight, this will happen.

The sun can also help bleach this out too.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Don't panic!

Gentle cleaning. Lots of sunshine will kill it off. Gentle cleaning after a few days of sun exposure. Don't damage by overcleaning - especially bleach products.

As for gentle cleaning - laundry soap diluted or carpet cleaning solution diluted. It does not have to be a strong mixture - say 10 parts water to one part soap. The sun will do most of the work for you.

Be patient.
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-14-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
SPRAY NINE it is the bomb, it'll make it look new again but be careful not to leave it on long, it will actually eat away at the vinyl. I had the same problem and cured my boat, also it's antibacterial.
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-14-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
I feel your pain, that was my sweetsuprise when i found indoor storage and took the wrap off for transport. Goodluck. I know it took a few hours to get it decent, probably a whole day for perfection.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-14-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me last year. I used Star Brite Mold and Mildew Remover magic eraser's and a lot of scrubbing. You will get it out, mine looked very similar to your'. Good luck.
Old    nwwakerider            03-14-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
i used vinegar and water mix with a soft brush to remove the mildew from my seats. works great when followed up with seat conditioner
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-14-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
just buy a small de humidifire, i dont think i spelt that right, but for next year. yea and use babes apholstry cleaner, dont you clorox like i did in my pos sanger i got in 96, i had leapord carpets after that:-)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-14-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
That's bad dude, hate to see it. I deal with mildew all the time here. Try the Dura Gloss 541 Cleaner with Mildew Buster. Works great.

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=311
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
DO NOT USE BLEACH IT WILL ROT THE SEAMS. we fight that mildew problem year round here in fla.a boat can look like that in a matter of 2 weeks. the best thing is liquid commet and soft scrub brush i have tried all the "boat" mildew removers none of them work as well as liquid commet and they cost 5x as much.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-14-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I second that on the bleach, it will eat the seams.