Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
I posted this auction on ebay and the buyer has a problem after receiving the item. You may be able to guess what it is. I just want to know my fellow WW'ers thoughts on the auction. What would you be bidding on?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_922
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-06-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Buyer thought he was getting the entire set up didn't he. Heck he still got a heck of a deal on those bindings.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
NOT saying that you were trying to be sneaky, but people should know that you have to read things through. there are tons of little things people have done to get away with stuff

i think the funniest/worst is when people were selling "Playstation 3 BOXES" back when they first came out and there was a craze to get them.

I think your auction was legit. and as said above. he got a good deal anyway.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-06-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Just by looking at the picture, I would have thought it was the board and bindings. But after actually reading the description, I take it as the bindings only. Some people must not be able to read?????
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
You guys are right. He/she thinks that the board should have been included. After a bunch of back and forth there is no convincing that the auction was specifically for the bindings only, which is beyond me. I gave two options...1.) I'll refund the money less shipping and listing fees. 2.) Buyer can open a dispute with eBay. eBay has worked with me in the past and I'm pretty sure they would sway my way. If not, I'll assume it really was misleading and do what they want.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-06-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
Clearly just the boots.... their fault for not knowing anything about what they were reading.....
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Ebay people are crazy. I just sold my mom's mini cooper for her and I got a million questions from people asking me if I would end the auction early for xx,xxx, etc. Why in the hell would I end an AUCTION early for their price, obviously they are willing to pay that, what incentive do I have to end the auction early? BTW, the auction ended for 3K more than the highest "end now" offer. haha.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-06-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
I know that your auction was for bindings only, but something along the lines of "You are bidding only on the bindings, not the board" somewhere in your listing would have eliminated this confusion.

Remember, we live in a world where they have to put "Warning, Hot Liquid" on a coffee cup.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-06-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I am sure you were not intentionally being misleading, but why put a photo of the board in an ad, when you were not selling the board? most people would realize by reading that you were only selling the bindings, but I can see how someone would not immediately realize that. just refund their money plus shipping, and re-list. chances are you will sell the bindings for more next time to make up the difference.
Old    SamIngram            12-06-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
Caveat Emptor!
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-07-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Buyer opened a case against me. I'm curious as to how it will play out. Anybody else been disputed against on ebay?
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2010, 10:23 PM Reply   
Well it should be Buyer Beware... as in ask questions before you bid! If he wasn't sure then he should have asked you before bidding. The auction is a little misleading as it doesn't specifically say bindings only, but you have to put some onus on the buyer to know what he's bidding on. You did only reference boots in your description and nothing about the board or its condition, so you should be good on the dispute. Be prepared for a negative i'm sure though.

To me its no different than taking a picture of your board in your board racks and the buyer thinking it comes with the whole boat. Some people are just idiots online!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-08-2010, 1:33 AM Reply   
Wow, I wouldn't give in on that one just on principle. You have to be a complete idiot to think that a wakeboard is included in that auction. Nowhere does it describe anything about the board. Between the title, the shipping weight, the full description and the ridiculously low price, he should be beat about the head and neck for being that stupid! If Ebay rules in his favor, I'll eat my hat.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-08-2010, 1:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am sure you were not intentionally being misleading, but why put a photo of the board in an ad, when you were not selling the board?
You have to put the bindings on something to take the photo. If he set them on a table, should the table be included? If you're selling your wheels, do you have to take them off the car so that the buyer doesn't think the car comes with it? If I'm selling handlebars do I have to take them off the motorcycle so that they don't think the bike comes with them? Not only do people have to start using common sense, but other people have to stop making excuses for people that choose not to use common sense!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-08-2010, 5:27 AM Reply   
I understand why we think this guy is a idiot, but there is also liability on the seller side. It would have taken negligible amount of time to add in the description "this auction is for BINDINGS only, BOARD is not included in auction". Blatantly clear and then it covers the sellers ass.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-08-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
I am almost certain Ebay will rule in favor of the buyer. What if the person that won the auction had absolutely zero knowledge of wakeboarding (which I advise you look at recent won auctions)? I agree with what you say Dave 100%, but you have to be overly explicit when you are selling things on Ebay, especially when it is not a very popular item (such as wakeboard bindings). And don't read into this post for taking up for the buyer, because I side with the seller, but CYA.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-08-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
I hope you're wrong. The accommodation of laziness, stupidity and a lack of common sense is what's flushing our country down the toilet. This is a fine example.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-08-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
If you're selling your wheels, do you have to take them off the car so that the buyer doesn't think the car comes with it?
Anyone see Conan giving away Pine Tree air fresheners.... and then they're throwing in a car to put it in

I hope you win, the buyer's fault 100%
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
What would Gene3x do?
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-08-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
I read the auction description keeping an open mind and I can understand both sides of this argument but I see you loosing with ebay. The majority of the description you are pointing out the faults of the bindings and bindings only. The buyer could be under the impression that this is because that is the only thing wrong with this setup and the board is perfect. You left too many opportunities for the buyer to assume what he or she was bidding on. And you gave them a picture to confirm their assumption. Hate to say it, but I would rule on the behalf of the ignorant buyer.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-08-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
I have had all the same thoughts that everyone has expressed here. Ultimately, though, I think it's a case of someone that doesn't want to take responsibility for what he did/didn't do.

So my response to the case being opened was to "escalate" it to eBay. It tells you to try and work it out with your seller , but we had already gone back and forth already and neither of us agreed with the other. So, I wrote in my side of the story and sent it off. About a minute later I get an email that the case had been closed and that neither of us were at fault for the problem and that he had been refunded his money by ebay. From what I can tell, this is money from ebay and not me. I don't have any charges on my paypal or ebay account so far. I guess $40 isn't worth possibly losing a couple longtime users to ebay.

So, I got to keep my money and this kid got some free boots. It pisses me off a little bit that it worked out more in his favor, but whatever. They were old worn out boots anyways. If anyone sees those boots on ebay again, I wouldn't buy them. They've got bad mojo.