Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Evenly weighting a boat doesn't stop from building a massive wakeboard wake why would it be any different for a surf wave?
I'm under the impression that for wakesurfing adding additional weight to the rider's side extends where the waves converge, which is what surfgate does without listing the boat.

Is this correct?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I'm under the impression that for wakesurfing adding additional weight to the rider's side extends where the waves converge, which is what surfgate does without listing the boat.

Is this correct?
Yes. Delayed Convergance is the name of the game.

Just remember to always compare apples to apples. A boat that is listed with 3k of ballast is not the same as a boat with surfgate running a meer 1500lbs. Gotta compare waves with the same amount of ballast.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Yes. Delayed Convergance is the name of the game.

Just remember to always compare apples to apples. A boat that is listed with 3k of ballast is not the same as a boat with surfgate running a meer 1500lbs. Gotta compare waves with the same amount of ballast.
So a boat with a evenly distributed 3K + surfgate compared to a listed boat with just 3K is apples to apples?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
So a boat with a evenly distributed 3K + surfgate compared to a listed boat with just 3K is apples to apples?
same weight, same boat that the only variable in the equation is how the wave is formed (listing vs surfgate). If you think about it, you're displacing the same amount of water either way. The boat is just sitting in a different position.

So yeah, it's like comparing a green apple to a red apple

don't bash it till you try it man, keep an open mind

I'm not saying definitively one way or another which is better. However, I am not just sitting behind my keyboard spewing hate, I am out on the water testing my contraption. Materials are already enroute for v2.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-14-2012 at 3:29 PM.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-14-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
I want to try this on my boat also .... hopefully the first of next week

I am only going to put the gate on the starboard side cause it will be temporary

If the boat is level ...... 2 questions come up:

does the gate not being on the surf side matter? If the boat doesn't list I wouldn't think you would want the closed gate on the surf side or maybe would you? our surf waves are better without anything being there so maybe the closed gate takes away from the wave being as good as it can be with the opposite gate open

If the opposite side gate is not there will the boat then list or be pushed one way?

I had another question but I forgot!!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
You don't want any gate out on the surf side. The boat won't list but it might drag to one side, just counter-steer the boat.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-14-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
i know ..... but their gate on the other side has to interfere or do something? whether its good or not!!
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       08-14-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
The surf side "non-deployed" gate doesn't impact anymore that the swim platform brackets or the trim tab arms.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-14-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
im not disagreeing ...... but the deep hole behind the corner of the boat will be gone? the water will not be going straight out the side but now being funneled back towards the wake ..... i know they have to make it with both sides just wondering if it would be better overall on just one side? was going to do my boat this afternoon but got sidetracked ..... bummer
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-15-2012, 4:02 AM Reply   
Just make it fold in as far as possible. It won't matter. You can feel free to test with and without it though.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not bashing in any way. Really trying to wrap my mind around this and have been struggling to get my buddy's boat dialed in for surfing. If this would create a longer pocket with more push that'd be awesome. Plus he is goofy so the ability to clean up that side of the wake would be great.

Following your developments with great interest. Love the experimentation, it has my curiosity peaked.
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-16-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
same weight, same boat that the only variable in the equation is how the wave is formed (listing vs surfgate). If you think about it, you're displacing the same amount of water either way. The boat is just sitting in a different position.

So yeah, it's like comparing a green apple to a red apple

I'm not saying definitively one way or another which is better. However, I am not just sitting behind my keyboard spewing hate, I am out on the water testing my contraption. Materials are already enroute for v2.
If a boat that is shallow like a Sanger or Enzo hits the rub rail with 1500lbs in the port locker and 750 up front thats the max wake it can throw. With this SG and a bigger tab than a regular Bennett it MAY be possible to use 1500 in both rear corners and still not push it to the rub rail. A boat with 3000 in the rear plus another 750 up front will displace more water than one 1500lbs lighter.
I'd swap that flat strap out for some angle I think but let us know how it goes.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       08-19-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
i had a chance to ride the surf gate this last weekend and it was SICK!. We only had two 750's in the back corners and full factory ballast on the 23'LSV. We started at 10mph and i ended up riding around 11mph. The wake was not your normal Malibu wake that is so hard you can bounce your face off of. It was a little softer but it had a ton of push to the wake, much more push than any other malibu i have ridden. Best way to describe it was that the wake felt heavy. The transition off the boat to the wake was niice, I was not expecting it to be as smooth and as long as it was. but it just came up and rolled over into a nice curl in the back,

the best part by far it the wake to wake tranfers! Aired one out on the second try.
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
I got to ride a Surfgate equipped 22' MKZ yesterday. Full ballast plus 750#s inthe back lockers, speed about 11mph
It was very fun. Wasn't the biggest boat wave I've probably seen, but it was big.
The most interesting thing was the distinctly different wave shape. Not the shape of the transition, which was big and round with a very mellow bottom(no trough), but the shape behind the boat. I had seen this boat out a couple times while I was on other boats and the wave always looked really short. When I got to see the wave from the boat it made sense. The wave doesn't go straight back like most boat waves, but it curls out in a hook shape, like a bowl corner. It was a very cool wave to ride, but mostly because of the new shape I thought.
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
I meant MXZ.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-24-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
I've been following along and am very interested in doing this to my boat too. I wonder if the height, length, or shape of the new tab effects the shape of the wave?
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
360º transfer from starboard to regular side - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151059625858547
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
That 360 over the top looks pretty cool.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
Frank,

Did you ever do anything with your boat? How did it turn out?

Anyone else try this out yet?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quick update for me:

Making some plastic tabs to fit onto the boat. I'll probably cut these down a little bit.

Also bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Trim-ta...c16f26&vxp=mtr
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-07-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
this thread might be of interest...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...poormans-gate/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
Page 3 or 4 of that thread has my surfgate contraption cross-posted on it