Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            02-18-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Ok for most folks this won't be any big deal, but it's a NONmolded PVC skinned board with a double in a single concave. The exterior lamination is being done on the bottom and I built this without a rocker bed or table. The key is to shape the bottom of the board after hotwiring the rocker. Then, the bottom skin is bagged under a fairly low vaccuum. When the bottom skin is attached - lets say to a single or a single to double, the top skin when laminated will create a structure stiff enough that you don't need a table.

Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-18-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
Very interesting/cool Jeff - is that PVC as in the 3mm PVC I'm using for stringers, or something else?

Upload
Old    surfdad            02-18-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
I like that tail treatment Matt - that's a sweet outline. Quad, twinnie or thruster?

I'm using 1/8" Divinycell - it's a PVC foam, but I doubt it's the same PVC that you are using for stringers.

How are you cutting the foam for the stringer glue up?
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
I really like the look of that too. I'm thinking you need to make that into a bonzer.

Jeff, you are probably doing more for research into design ideas than any large board builder in the surfing world currently. And what's nice is that you're not afraid to tell us how you are doing it. Thanks for pushing the envelope. I wonder how things would have been different if the grandfathers of surfboard design had access to the technology we have today.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-18-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff -
this one will be twin, but could go with a quad as well..

As for the stringer glue-up - still hotwiring the halves and smearing some epoxy on each side of the stringer, then clamping together. Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about getting a straight edge for gluing the two halves together?

If the latter, the foam blocks I get from univfoam are 12in wide, so I just use the factory edge.

I have to agree with Matt - continually amazed by your innovation and willingness to share.

Upload

(Message edited by smedman on February 18, 2008)