Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (shanrox)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-06-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hi ladies! I'm getting married next year and am running into an issue deciding whether to get a plain band that I don't have to worry about when wakeboarding or snowboarding or getting a pretty band that attaches to my engagement ring. I prefer to have the set with the band and e.ring but I worry I'm going to have to take them off every time I go ride.

How do/did you guys handle this?
Old     (nelsonwakeboarding)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-06-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
I generally take both off when I ride, because the calluses get sooo much worse when I'm wearing a ring. And I don't usually take the engagement ring on the boat at all, just the band, because if I lost the engagement ring I would be so bummed - better safe than sorry, ya know? Congrats on getting hitched - good to see you still have your priorities set straight - I love that you're already thinking about the logistics of the wedding ring in relation to riding - sweet!
Ev
Old     (khunter)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
I never bring either of mine with us. Like Evelyn said, that calluses are worse. And the fact that you don't want to lose my ring or stone adds to that. Mine normally get left at the house. Congratulations on the wedding.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
I have the type of ring you are describing-joined together...I tried leaving them on but the calluses and blisters were to much...now I just leave them at home...safer that way anyway, I would feel awful if something happened to them.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-07-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Congrats !! +1 for the pretty band. i use to never take mine off, one day riding it somehow got hung up in the grippy stuff on the handle, for a mili sec, i thought my finger was coming off, after that i have never rode with my wedding ring on my finger.jus my experience.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-07-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
I know you're asking the ladies, but hey, why not chime in. We take ours off. No reason to take the chance of losing them. If you want to represent and be safe, get a tattoo of a band!!

Congrats!!
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-10-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I had a friend that was engaged less then two weeks loose a 1ct ring over the side of the boat. This broke there hearts that this beautiful ring they picked out was going to be lost forever. Now she has a fake ring for the boat and will not wear it boarding just in case it is wrapped up in the rope.

FYI 3 weeks later the water in Ca dropped and they found the ring.
Old     (krit)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-13-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I don't put any jewelry on when going on the boat. Same with the gym. You will still be officially married even when not wearing the ring. ;)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
great answer krit....I never wear mine except on the weekend...I can't wear them at work and I am on the boat several times a week...and I have been married 21 years ;-)
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Congrats!

I don't usually wear any jewelry on the boat either, though lately I have been wearing just my band, I have noticed tiny callouses beginning, so it is coming off again.

If you really want to wear your rings on the boat, attach a carabiner (sp?)clip to your bag and put your ring(s) on it when you ride?
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-18-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Ya Geri good point! sometimes I don't wear mine and my parents are like :-O where is your ring? I am like..... uhhh its summer, I don't need a ring to show I love my man! Get a huge 3 karat, and just wear it out and around. jewerly and boats don't mix!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
Right Kim....I never noticed if you had a ring or not but I did notice you def love your man!!!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-19-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
Thanks GERI!
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-20-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Schedule the ring on the homeowners or rentes polciy and pay a little extra. Coverage changes to "all risk" in case the entire rig or maybe just a stone is lost. Deductible is waived which is huge, if like me you carry high deductibles. I dont ever want to dissapoint my wife or have her stressed if she looses it. She will have plenty of $$ to get what she wants to replace it. I think $10K is costing additional $160 a year on my homeowners. I have scheduled my sons insulin pump too in case he breaks it or it is stolen from gym locker etc... That is over $5K.

I had a customer in Mexico take hers off to put sun tan lotion on and lost it in the sand. They looked for 3 hours with a metal detector but had to bail to catch departing cruise ship.

Another insured had all her jewelry stolen off the counter in her hotel room, likely by staff. It was not covered because it was not scheduled and there was no forced entry classified as "mysterious dispppearence".
We have had many lost stones claims denied as well as household employee(Nanny or cleaning lady) thefts.......

Rick
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
I don't bring mine on the boat either - callouses def, but my hands seem to "shrink" in cold water. My hubby wears his on the boat, gets in the water, and then goes, I forgot my ring and I have to go get it from him!