Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
I am going to be looking for a new boat over the off season. We currently have a 1997 Pro Am Skier which is a Centurion knock off Fineline made for a few years. The boat is a 21 foot DD with an open bow. After getting back into riding I am to the point where I want more wake. The problem is my wife has had a knee replacement and doesn't want to be crawling around fat sacks in the boat. The boat produces a nice firm clean wake, but needs size. We are very happy with the boat otherwise and I have racked my brain trying to figure out how to weight it. I don't need a bigger boat as we own a cabin on a fairly sheltered lake. Usually only have a driver and spotter plus one or 2 in the boat. What I need is a boat with more storage where I can hide weight. The Pro am doesn't have a locker behind the rear seat like most newer DD's. I am 37 and I'm never going to need the wake insanely huge. Looking for something that is going to throw a solid wake with 1000 lbs or so in it.

Requirements are:
Around $20,000(Have $10,000 cash plus my boat)-no loan
Factory tower and ballast prefer
Fuel injection
Low hours
1997 or newer
Ability to hide weight(locker behind seat, under rear seat or center locker)

Boats I have seen:
1998-2006 DD Moomba Mobius
MC prostar 205 DD
Late 90's early 2000's Supra Launch DD

The wife really likes the V-drives but I don't like the idea of loans on toys. Really hard to find them around 20K unless they are beat or high hours. Only one I have seen was a 1998 Sunsetter VLX with 1500 hours that sold right before we looked at it(dealer). It looked like it had 1500 hours and sold for 17,500.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-29-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=33520

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34122

You should be able to swing a Vdrive like the ones above. If you're going to go up to around the 20k mark i would definitely go Vdrive
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-29-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
You can find sunsetter Vdrives in that era with lower hours for around that price point.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-29-2012, 11:20 PM Reply   
You can easily find a v-drive in that price range.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2012, 3:57 AM Reply   
The V-drives will throw a larger wake without the weight.Also you can hide weight in the rear lockers and under the bow seats.The layout of the V-drive will be easier for your wife to get around in also.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
I agree the V-drive will most likely throw a better wake. Also that it will probably be easier to get around in. But being able to buy one for 20K is easier said than done. The Pro am is in excellent condition with no damage anywhere and I am looking for another boat in the same condition. I am not looking for a boat that I need to dump a bunch of money into. The only V-drives I find are older ones with cosmetic issues or higher hours. We will likely have the boat for 10+ years so I want something that is in great shape and with lower hours. I definitely don't want to go any older than the current 97 and would prefer 2000 or newer.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Todd to bad your not closer to washington theres a really nice 97 tige v drive in my area for 15k with new motor i wish i would have held off buying a boat and seen this one i would have grabed it up.
Old    kx250frider617            07-30-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
Once you have been in a V-drive, youll never go back. It's easily twice the interior space with the same length boat. Im sure you guys know how cramp the DD get with more than 4 people aboard.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
I have no doubt about that. When it's just me and the wife in the boat pulling the kids I end up walking all over her to manage the rope from the drivers seat. Plus with an extended pylon you really lose the bow to the cable. I think I have lost the battle to you guys on here and more importantly the wife. She says if we are buying another boat its a V-drive. Other wise she thinks I will want to upgrade again at the end of next season and she knows me pretty well. So I have been given a budget of $30,000 to get it done. That extra 10K opens a lot of V-drive doors!!
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-30-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
You can stay within your 20k budget if you look for a Sanger V210. If your up for a drive there's about 3 that I know of in Sacramento right now.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Spend the money and get a v-drive. Most of us at some point bought a d-drive and eventually sold it for a v-drive anyways. Unless you REALLY want to slalom, it's just not worth the money to try to pound a square peg into a round hole.