Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
So looking for some more lakes to go camping at this summer

We did Bullards Bar this weekend... what other lakes are worth a shot

Trying to stay in the 2 hours from sacramento range

(Message edited by technarider on June 14, 2009)

(Message edited by technarider on June 14, 2009)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2009, 12:14 AM Reply   
How was Bullards ??

If you didn't like that lake I doubt you'll like many others around.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-15-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
no i/we loved the lake.. and this was the first boat camping i have done... everything worked out great...

we would go back in a heart beat... but thought about trying out some other lakes too.. just looking for input
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Leo,
Bullards would be our favorite within 2 hours of SAC. We go there all the time.

We like the shoreline camping thing where you just pull up to shore and make your own site. Much more private than a standard campsite. Bullards and Don Pedro are the only ones around here that fit that.

Having said that here is my rundown on lakes we have camped at within 2 hours of SAC. This is only our preference in regards to camping nothing more.

1. Bullards cannot be beat. Have camped there at least a dozen times.

2. Don Pedro. Nice lake been there twice. Shoreline camping is extensive but on holidays it is quite crowded.

3. Lake Oroville. Very nice. We have been there 2 times on the "floating campsite". Basically a campsite floating on the water. Second to Bullards. Hard to get a reservation though. Highly recommended.

3. Collins Lake. Been there once will never go again. Very small lake and it was extremely crowded and not very family friendly. In fact with left the second day we were there it was so bad.

4. Englebright Lake. Been there once. All sites are boat in. Would not go again. Lake is small and not a lot to do.

5. Lake Berryessa. This is our home lake we have camped there a few times. Not a lot of opportunity for camping and the camping that is left is only at Pleasure cove and terrible. Small sites right on top of each other. Not recommended for camping.

Thats about it. Hope that helps
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-15-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
any thoughts on Camp Far West??

heard mixed reviews
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
New Melones is nice. About 2.5 hours. It is near Angels Camp.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
"any thoughts on Camp Far West?? "

i went there this year for the first time for nor cal convergence, its a pretty small lake, but it stayed pretty flat when we where there.
and tons of camping, we are actually going to plan a camping trip there, i think it would be a good bet
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Leo,
Forgot to include Camp Far West on my review. We camped there several times but haven't been back there for almost 8 years.

They allow shore camping which we did. They do have reserved "sites" but we never stayed in them so I can't speak about them. Lots of partying when we went so was not very family friendly. Small lake which usually is drawn down quite a bit by the end of summer. So there were a lot of underwater hazards the last time we were there.

It is quite popular with the go fast boat crowd. They have a cove called quarter mile cove that they run them in. In fact they pretty much take up that entire part of the lake.

Not a lot to see or do. I don't remember a Marina on the water so if you ever need anything its on land including gas.

Bottom line we have no desire to go back.