Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-21-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
anyone else just get this press release? got any inside info on these boats?

(Loudon, TN) – Axis Wake Research, a new boat division under Malibu Boats LLC, will begin manufacturing high performance, price point wakeboard boats later this Fall. These entry-level boats will be made available to select dealerships as early as January, 2009. The team at Axis Wake Research has its focus on bringing new levels of quality, performance and style with unparalleled pride of ownership exclusively to the entry-level boat market.

Upon analyzing the landscape of the wakeboard boat industry and surveying current boat owners in the price point market, Malibu identified specific owner expectations that were not being met. These customers have a strong desire for a price point wakeboard boat that evokes pride of ownership with unique styling, solid reputation and top shelf construction. This research showed these buyers want big wakes that are not wrapped in the “ok for everything” compromise many price-point water sports boat manufacturers push. While the Malibu Boats line is often the ultimate desire for this type of buyer, budget has limited their current options to sub-par brands chosen only for price. When customers default to these brands for their first water sports boat buying experience the end result, many times, is a negative one. Axis Wake Research is changing that.

Challenging the conventional wisdom that a high performance wakeboard boat cannot be offered at a price point, Axis Wake Research has initiated a segment-shattering revolution. By carefully sourcing components and materials, employing in-house fabrication, lean manufacturing, unique production processes and strategic sales and marketing practices, Axis offers low cost to the customer without compromising quality.

Performance and customer satisfaction levels are also being raised by Axis through an aggressive grassroots research and development campaign. These efforts revolve around the specific needs and wants of core riders and families alike. Or as the team at Axis Wake Research likes to say and the Axis name implies “We’re centered on you.”

Because Axis is answering the needs of consumers in such a specific price point market segment, Axis boats will not be built on the same production line as Malibu Boats. The Axis movement is a completely new way to research, design, build and market entry-level big wake boats. The relationship between Malibu Boats and Axis is similar to the connection between BMW and Mini or Lexus and Toyota. Malibu and Axis are two completely different brands of boats in goal and scope, but they share the same parent company.

Look for a series of news releases from Axis Wake Research in the coming weeks describing the company, the boat and the people behind this revolution in big wake boat manufacturing.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
sounds good. hopefully it won't turn out like the x-1. starting at 39999, add steering wheel, engine, and trailer for 69999. i guess we'll see
Old     (c_boarder)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-21-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
this should be interesting!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
No... they should just hype it up... as a fully loaded boat for $50,000... then when it finally comes to life... it is $75,000... hahahah...

Excellent vision and niche... guess we will have to see if the product can fulfill that!!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
I heard they had bought the SN2001 hull and were producing a v-drive version.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Actually, I just made that up! Ha ha
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-21-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
Don't we already have this company called Supra and Moomba? So Malibu already has the Ride series as their price point boat knowing that I would have to say these would need to fall under those in price or they would be competing with themselves. I'm all for figuring out how to make things better for cheaper thats special not building things more and more expensive. If they pull it off good for them I sure hope they can.
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-22-2008, 12:31 AM Reply   
Will be interesting to see if they use any old Malibu molds (Original VLX, LSV, response, sportster...??)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-22-2008, 3:58 AM Reply   
Brian - I'd say you just nailed that one.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-22-2008, 4:22 AM Reply   
I bet they are just renaming the v-ride series and making a bunch of hype about it. I am curious to see what percent of Malibu's sold are v rides. I was at a Malibu dealer last week and I think he had about 9 V-Ride 21-23s and one ZTX and one VLX. With this shifting economy it could really change people's perspective of what Malibu is if all people every ride in and buy are V-Rides.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
The word on themalibucrew.com is that it will be some sort of pickle fork design.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
sounds expensive
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-22-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
its the cheapest of them all...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
if they rename the v-ride series and still use the wakehull (or the same hull that they used for the vlx the last few years) i'm willing to bet that that would be one of the best selling boats out.

the hull is rediculiously good.
Old     (ron_mexico)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
doesn't malibu already build the cheapest boat possible? minus some shiny stuff?
Old     (jwalker1)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-22-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
They will not use any of the old Malibu molds, I saw one on a truck the other day under a malibu shrink wrapper when the driver was dropping us a load of 09's. We were not able to look under the shrink but I am 100% sure it is not an old mold. I can't wait to see them I hope we have them in time for the boat show.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-22-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Yea go Epic.....I mean Malibu.....maby they can produce something as memorable as the Tantrum. In all seriousness if they can put the production practices they talk about in the press release into action good for them!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
If someone really wants to make a cheap boat they are going to need to build it in Mexico.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-22-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Why would you buy a price point boat when you can pick up a new 2006-07-08 almost at dealers cost. I have heard there is about a 2 yrs supply of MC and Bu's around the country.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-22-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Moe,

I am in the market for a new boat, and it seems that Malibu is not nearly as overextended as MC is. And of course, that is not going to last forever.

Tige tried something very similar to this just a few years ago. It was called the Switch series and they made a V drive and direct drive with less expensive vinyl and minus a few other things. The problem is that then we all b**ch and moan that the vinyl is not good or the tower is not as solid and on and on and on. The switches were not that much less expensive than the real thing, and they only served to hurt sales of the more nice boats because someone would see a switch version and then think that all Tiges were cheap looking. At least bu is smart enough to market this under a completely different name, so that when we criticize the boat online, it is read as 'Axis this and Axis that' and does not damage Malibu's reputation directly.

I agree with what has been said above, by the time they add the steering wheel and engine, it is going to be the X-1 story all over again. I assume that Axis will try to compete with the Moomba's of the world by riding on the coattails of their Malibu reputation. Good luck.
Old    K.B.C.            10-22-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
"The word on themalibucrew.com is that it will be some sort of pickle fork design"

noooooo, when will the madness end???!!!!
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       10-22-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
This logo was also included in the press release

Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
The logo kinda looks like the shape of a picklefork.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
Maybe malibu is going the picklefork route.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-22-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Seems kinda strange launching a new brand during a economic downturn.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-22-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
yea but if their "price point" boats sell, then it keeps the malibu line afloat long enough for the economy to turn back around
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Not to mention if it works, it could keep their existing factory workers employed.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
BLING - BU SAN MC SUPRA TIGE SVFARA LIQUID RIDE MB

VALUE - MOOMBA SANGER SUPREME CENTURIAN

NICHE - EPIC

If I had a choice to be selling or taking inventory of any of the above...

I would take VALUE and carry 2-5 year old BLING.

I think this market will be tough to enter the market with something new...

I can understand why BU is doing this though... why risk the name BU when you can bring out a price point line under another name...
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-22-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
"X1 starting out at 39999 add a steering wheel and an engine 69999."

Some people amaze me. The bashing will never end. I didnt know you could get an X1 without an engine and a steering wheel? Oh ya and we have one here at the shop for 56000 (2008) and guess what IT HAS A STEERING WHEEL AND AN ENGINE HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! hahaha tough crowd as always oh ya and we have an 07 for right around 50000. Holy Moly again! 50,000 for an X1 NO WAY! I thought you people knew what you were talking about!
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-22-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
they'll probably have a totally different design - a picklefork would just be copying ;) just kidding!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-22-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Wow you guys are selling a 40k boat for 56k or 2 years old at 50k. Do you see the point maybe he was exagerating a little but c'mon.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Dave, you force me to explain my obvious sarcasm. First off, I wasn't bashing MC. We've owned a couple and just purchased another. I'm well aware that the x-1 comes equipped with engine and steerig wheel. We were in the market for that particular boat/hull a while back, and while the 40k base boat would have been a sweet deal, they don't come with racks, stereo, center ballast, bimini, or even the cheapo trailer. I would venture to say that none of these are "luxury" options these days, but IMO they are pretty standard to a day on the water, especially the trailer. After adding all this stuff, you're up to the price of a gently used x-star.

I'm not asking for a boat made of billet aluminum for 40-50k, but at least give me a boat I can use and be comfortable in without having to buy/add a bunch of stuff after I get home with it.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-22-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
malibu has you are rolling 3000+ lbs if anyone can pull it off.... it's gotta be nautique or mc.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
There are a few X1s around here for $39,900... but they do have a steering wheel... but no engine... because they are u-build... pick a motor and build it yourself... hahaha..

Kind of like take and bake pizza... give you all the ingredients... now you just have to find a way of putting it together.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
As for boat design... why do people have issues of a pointed front, round front, blunt front, or picklefork....

Its not copying... its taking modern design and working it into their line up.

MC WAS NOT THE FIRST TO HAVE A PICKLEFORK

But no one accuses them of copying...

Maybe there should be a trade...

MC NOT ALLOWED TO USE A TOWER.
SAN PROMISES NOT TO MAKE A PICKLEFORK.

There.. that should solve everything!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-22-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
the only boat that is actually WORTH the money is moomba. We can get an LSV (outback V even cheaper) with everything you need for 37k (that was last year, maybe more now)

I cannot think of any other boat that offers tower, ballast, stereo, trailer, etc etc etc in a v-drive for less than 40k.... Sanger comes close, Supreme comes close but I donno if they quite make it, Supra is close too but same overall company (skiiers choice)

The XLV is what 42k (2007) or so with enough options to make it ride-able....what other 23ft. boat is close

MC = 80k
Nautique = 65k
Malibu 65k
Epic = 70k -- even thought it is LOADED
Svfara = 60k
Supra = 60k

Moomba is price point.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-22-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
Knarbar,

I think you missed the point and your post shows that you are out of touch with us.

MC advertised when the X-1 came out that they had a new 'price point' boat for $39999. That got everyone's attention for sure. But then you add most anything that a wakeboat really needs to be functional, let it sit on the lot for two years, let the market crash, and now you have to pay 50K for it. That is 25% more than the price that got our attention. That is what we are complaining of here.

I think most of us are predicting a similar scenario for Axis.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
The Ride series did a pretty good job the first year. Advertized price of 38,995 for a V-Ride. With a few options is was $41 and change. If Axis can bring that back. I'm all for it.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-23-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I will be willing to bet that malibu is hitting the mark with a ride ready boat at moomba prices the queshtion is where will they save the money. the bling will go out the window. I am sure they have designed the hull to make it easier on production(less man hours= less money) probably a simple tube tower etc. I think malibu is trying to get back to the every day consumer and if they can pull it off and bring a wakevoard boat to the market at less than 40k they will make a killing. just my opinion biased by insider information..
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
talltigeguy- I did somewhat miss the point and most of my post was meant with light hearted sarcasm and I know that some of the previous posters to mine were being sarcastic as well. You do have to admit though that MC gets bashed quite a bit for not being a price driven company. I agree when making a wake boat that there are necessary equipment needed to make it a functional boat. I dont know what other dealers are doing Id like to know where an X1 was advertised by Mastercraft at 39999? This is my first year with selling X series boats so if it was a few years back I was not aware of it.

(Message edited by knarbar on October 23, 2008)
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
When it first came out thats what its advertised price was, but I think they quickly threw that add out the window after comments like the ones on this post came up. I'll say that MC does get hammered on a bunch for being pricey, but IMO you get what you pay for. Solid boat with no corners cut.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
Kinda like the Toyota commercials, all these comparisons, MC this, MC that, instead just buy a MasterCraft.
Maybe if Bu has success with this new company they can hire back all the people they just AXED including Ted Bevelacqua.
I do hope the new company does well. If it makes it in these times they will have something for sure.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Nick Your figures are hilarious. For a guy begging to be in a MC this winter you sure talk a lot of negative shat about them.
Price point for who? what demographic?

(Message edited by woreout on October 23, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
The mc this winter isn't a matter of choice, its my only option....give its an awesome option.... will just emailed, things are looking good.

The new SAN's are lame anyway....I'll suck up my pride of that,

I would say a price point for the average working family.... not a lot of middle class familes can justify dropping 70K+ on a boat, which in most areas of the country is seasonal... if everyone lived in paradise like some people, ahem.... it would be reasonable butin Wisco 70K for 4 months a year sucks.

Do you still have the hogs/pigs out back behind that business of yours

**All the #'s I got above were from Wakeworld or dealers I saw online.

(Message edited by sidekicknicholas on October 23, 2008)
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Hate N Pain, How do you figure an X1 should be 40,000. Back your post brotha. Not trying to get on ya, but C'mon find one authorized dealer that has an X1 for 40,000. You do that and ill eat my words. I know what cost is on the boats we have and trust me we paid more than that for our X1's. Regardless to all the negativity, they make a great boat and like stated above, they dont cut ANY corners. Or once again did I misunderstand you? Are you comparing the old advertisment of MC selling the X1 at 39999 to a new 2008 model???
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I think each MFG has a different demographic of buyers. MC and Bu are the some of the most expensive wakeboats out there. Yet they both sell more than Moomba, go figure.
The X1 in 06 was 39995 and is more now, but name a boat that isnt more money from 06 to 09. Cost of goods, gas etc has effected everything not just boats.
Maybe thats why CC is getting there new tower from China to keep costs down.
Nick, yes we still have Porkchop and Stephanie. They are both 12 yrs old now.

(Message edited by woreout on October 23, 2008)
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
/\ and by that I mean a 2008 model for 40,000? I highly doubt it unless the dealership is willing to take a hit. Besides all this non sense though. Im anxious to see this new Axis line. In the end its all about growing the sport.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-23-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
You are exactly right Knarbar. It was when the X1 was initially advertised, that it said $39995. I have not seen that ad now for a while, but even then they could not put together a boat adequately equipped at that price.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Thanks man, and I also agree that even in 06 they couldnt put together a boat at the price. Well equiped atleast. They just arent price driven. But same goes for companies like mercedes and other high end manuf.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Boat, Tower , Ballast, and Trailer not adequate?
It was advertised at 39999.00 plus shipping, tax and dealer prep.
Some dealers even chose not to put prep on it, so whats the problem?
2 of my buddies bought boats for exactly that.
You guys act like it was false advertising or something. What was false about it?
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
It isn't that it was false advertising, but...
Boat - Again, solid, no complaints, well worth it.
Tower - Solid, but no racks or bimini.
Trailer - Steel wheels, no spare.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
The X1 tower was solid? Is that why there was a recall on it?

The MC towers blow. Thats the number one reason I didn't buy another one & went with a Malibu/Titan instead.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
titan is solid but butt-ass ugly.

looks like a spider is about to mount the boat and make some sweet love.

I donno about X-1 39k new... the cheapest USED on onlyinboards is still 39k....and thats an 06'

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Good one, Nick. Tells us a lot.

The problem is the MC towers look worse on the bottom of the lake. Look back at my old posts. I've posted links to videos displaying how flimsy the MC tower is. And been at competitions when the towers were ripped completely off the boat.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And there are a dozen other tower makes who make not be as pretty as MC's, but at least they can hold up to what we're doing with them.

I bet you that Axis can supply a tower that is stronger than anything MC is willing to spit out.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 23, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Titan evolution
Upload
Upload
Upload

MC evolution
Upload

I donno if I MC tower even with braces could hold up to the great force airchairs put out though.... the titan and airchair kinda go together, like peas and carrots

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Heheh, yea, right. Have you checked out one that is fixed? One of MC's "happy" customers is a neighbor of mine.... keeps his boat in the slip next to mine. His tower is "fixed", and he's still got a world of problems with it. He's going around & around with MC as we speak on the problem.

If he's having the problems with it riding a wakeboard, then the problem is going to be twice as bad with my big butt behind it.

My "butt ugly" Titan had over 150 lbs stacked on it on a daily basis this summer..... and it's still rock solid.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 23, 2008)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
Knarbar, in 2006 they were advertised as MC's new introduction boat at $39,999 ready to go but they dimply weren't ready to go. The very next year this same boat had a starting MSRP of $48,999 a nearly 25% increase. Why? Because this boat was never inteded to be sold for anywhere near the lead in price of $39,999.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
whaaaat? I love the Titan III tower? IMO not ugly in the least.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
We'll see what happens. A good reason not to do it is this, if the product is that you canabalize the sales of existing product. If the product is equal quality wise, with a little less bling, as the buyer you have a choice, buy the un-blinged one that will perform the same or spend another 10-20 to get a little more bling and different logo. The release also says that they will not be made at the existing BU factories. This is not adding a new line, it is creating a completely new business. New factory, workers, etc. If they're coming up with a totally new hull (pickle fork) how will they cover all the R&D costs, overhead etc. and sell them for considerably less? Unless they're taking all the curb appeal off and stripping down even more of what is not seen, I don't know how it'll work. MC has done it as well, X-1, sportstar 19 skier.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-23-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Nick
Although I have a titan on my bu' i found that quite amusing :-)
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
The problem with the MC towers is the people that are "testing" them. The MC tower, or any other tower for that matter, wasn't made to have a grown man stand beside it and shake the crap out of it with all he has. They also we're made to hold 500 lbs. worth of useless tower speakers or add four extra sets of racks so that you can show off every board you've ever bought. No tower is going to hold up to the junk people are hanging on them these days unless the boat is getting used to idle around in.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-23-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
Nick-I read your post today around 3:00pm, it's now 11:30pm and I'm still laughing...I actually like those towers, but now, I'll never look at them or spiders the same...thanks for the entertainment..."sweet love..." RACK 'EM
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
what MC tower is this discussion about? the tower that comes on the xstar and x45's. thats the only MC tower I have ridden behind... rock solid and their board racks are the best.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
I thought this thread was about a cheap Malibu?

I just dont know how Bu can justify starting a "New" company and at the same time have their factory shut down and laying off people like Ted Bevelacqua that has worked sooo hard for them for so many years.

Nick that was funny.

Bill (airjunky) in 05 & 06 when you bought your boat, MC didnt have the shakey tower syndrome. It was in 07, and now they are solid as hell.
I bet it did bother you air chair guys though, anyone who checks the PH in the water before they ride is a little anal if you ask me.
Old     (turnnsix)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-24-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
I am amazed, so Malibu found another secret nobody else could figure out, wow, they are so smart. It sicken's me reading the same ole BS rhetoric. In this day of manufacturing you get what you pay for. Unless its built in China its simply burned cake with whipped topping and a good story to convince you the cake is not burned and your getting more for less.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
gotta love all the MC dealers commenting on the axis boats!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-24-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I went to go grab some lunch yesterday only to have a flat tire on my commuter car. A new tire cost me 44 dollars.

That has about as much to do with Axis boats as the rest of this thread.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   

I'm I the only one who got a little chubby when this comment was made ;)
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
some of us are trying to stay on topic. I think it will be hard because their goal is to offer a super cheap boat that is the same quality of the high end boat, while at the same time delivering the same expereince to the customer as the high end boat. As someone else stated above, if they use less material in the hull, thinner upholstery, cheaper carpet, less structural integrity, cheaper switches, cheap non-water resistent and non-corrosive electrical components, the list goes on...how is that person going to enjoy their ownership experience as much as if they would have bought the better boat? Granted there are a lot of people who can't and more that shouldn't buy the right boat and go cheap. There is a market for that, but to say that you'll give the same product for less is misleading.

The only way it could be pulled off is buy utilizing existing, un-used facilities, labor that is not working to capacity, existing molds and patters that have long since been paid for and have no extra R&D...that are still around and haven't been scrapped. Then you could still offer a quality product with less cost. Problem is that you canablize sales for newer products and most people want the extra bling.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-24-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I still think it is the original VLX hull. They didn't say it would be a different plant, but a different product line, which probably means that it will be built next to the other Malibu's, using old molds that have been fully depreciated, and this will help to fully utilize the plants resources

It is too much of a coincidence that the year the v-ride moves to the 05-08 VLX hull, they introduce Axis. With a hull they have been building for 14 years, I think they could build a bare bones boat pretty inexpensively. For the money that hull puts out a great wake.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Sorry guys, got sucked into the off topic stuff.

I have to agree with several things said here. Using the older molds & patterns & using existing factory & staff is probably where Malibu will justify the expense. They did it with the Ride series & proved it could be done. I have one (bought in 07 when it was 2 yrs old) and when it's put up against almost any other brand of boat, it compares really well. The higher end Malibu boats have a lot more bling & features but the Vride still compares well.

I would also expect Malibu vendors to jump on this Axis train too, maybe to help their own bottom line. They could possibly save money by using a lower cost tower (possibly an older Titan??), sacs instead of tanks, reversible pumps instead of dedicated in/out pumps, no stereo or a low budget stereo, a simple carpet insert, etc. Just bumping down to the Bayliner/SeaRay level of quality has to save quite a bit of money & still kick out a fair quality of boat.

Some features I think should be omitted, only because not everyone will use them, or like them. Wakeboard racks, surfboard racks, ski racks, or foil racks, swivel racks or non-swivel, etc.?? Granted most of the WW users will be all over them. But the rack upgrade I would imagine will be a money making opportunity for the dealer.

So what cruise control? Old Perfect Pass? A stripped down basic Malibu Cruise Control? Or just the old sticky throttle?
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I think for those who do not know what it is going to be they should wait and see! The proof is always in the pudding and we have yet to see the pudding.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
What fun is that Bret? Come on, serve up some pudding.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-24-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
I think they should build these using the old vlx/ride series hulls like said before. They should skip some of the stuff that is on most new boats. It should be offered with the wedge and no ballast or ballast and no wedge standard. Ballast should be in the form of a three bag system. The way Malibu does their ballast pumps(individual intake/drain) is actually cheaper than how Mastercraft does it with a reversible Jabsco. The boat doesn't need grab rails in the bow. It should use all carlynle style rocker switches and analog/mechanical gauges with a simple gauge pod. I would possibly skip the vinyl wrapped dash as well. It should come with some sort of speed control, an older simpler/mechanical style. The boat should be standard with the 320hp efi, I think the Titan III is a good standard tower. All tower acc. should be options. Do companies still charge extra for a fiberglass platform? It has to be cheaper to make a fiberglass platform than a teak one now. Do whatever is cheaper standard. Not sure what should be standard on the trailer? I personally would never buy anything with a single axle trailer but maybe make that an upgrade. The whole stereo should be an option.

Just my thoughts.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Brett, basically you are saying make them the same as they did in '02 when I bought mine. You could buy one stripped with no options, or pick and choose every option you wanted. You could buy a fairly well loaded VLX in '02 for 39k
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-25-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   

I'm I the only one who got a little chubby when this comment was made ;)

Luker, i got excited, but I hope they figure out a way to open up the bow and widen it. I love the wake, but there is no comfortable way to lay around and hang out on those 2001s. Apparently people in the 80s were shorter? (I'm 6'2)
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-25-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Hey Billy K...

Kinda hard to eat the Pudding with a "Fork"

ooops
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Hehe, is that a clue, bugaru?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Pretty risky move spending loads on r&d and a new product line during a decline.They are either going to fail or come out of this two steps ahead of everyone else.Only time will tell but I guess if you don't make any power moves you will never move up.
However I am of the opinion that the very second we come out of this decline people will go right back to buying the expensive boats and the cheapo's will sell dismal.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-25-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
you can eat pudding with a fork just fine.