Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
I know the basics, cut through the wake - head to back shoulder and flip. I wasn't flipping, I was more like doing 180s. Any suggestions??
video = http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=17637
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
Ronia: The reason you are not flipping is two fold. First of all, you are taking WAY too large of a cut. You need to take about 5 feet off of your cut, just cout out about 15 feet. Second, you need to make the cut more progressive. If you look at most of those segments, you take a monster cut, then flatten off. The funny thing about backrolls is that the entire trick is all in the cut. If you don't keep tension, you will not get flipped, which is why you did a "flop 180". Try taking a little bit more of a standing approach, and take a VERY gradual edge into the trick. Right before you hit the wake, give it a little more gas, and then tuck your head to your back shoulder right at the top of the wake. Stay in that position and hold on.

From the shots you sent, it looks like you really aren't committing to the trick also. This is a bad thing, and will end up hurting you worse than if you went full on. Just hang on, cut, tuck, and flip. You will be amazed how easy it is once you get it.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-11-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
I would agree with Garret here, and also add that in my opinion, you aren't ready for backrolls. You really need to concentrate on your progressive edge, and getting nice poppy jumps with short progressive cuts to the wake.

Maybe practice toeside jumps and get some 180s wake to wake - there is a ton of stuff you can do before backrolls that will lead up to backrolls, so that when you do attempt to go upside down (like Garret pointed out) you don't get injured.

Good luck.
Old    alanp            09-11-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
i dont think you should be trying this. you need to get a good progressive edge down first. from you video you still have lots to work on before trying this. im not saying it cant be done with your current riding ability but i think youd look silly being able to land a back roll and not being able to jump wake to wake.
Old     (wakedestroyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
did you even try to flip?
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
Im sorry, but that was hillarious....
But yeah, like they said, work on your progressive edge and get w2w consistent first
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Those were my attempts from the end of the season last year. This year I've done nothing but practice my progressive edge so I want to start trying the backroll again.

Pottsy,
I know it was hilarious .... I couldn't stop laughing myself. But I WAS mentally prepared to flip! LOL
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
haha, everyone is mentally prepared to flip
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
YOu can do them now but you need to ride up the wake and throw you left ear down to you left shoulder. The rest should come. You didnt even rotate
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-04-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Ronia, practice the following: progressive edging, poppy short approach w2w jumps, taking off from the very top of the wake by standing tall and keeping the handle in while doing so. When you're consistant at doing all that, then try the back roll. Cut out 15 feet. Take a relaxed cut toward the wake. 5 feet before the wake edge harder to load the line with a lot of tension. When trying back rolls NEVER flatten off as you're reaching the wake. Never do that. Take off from the top of the wake by standing very tall. Try to pop it really high. After your lift off, look over your LEAD SHOULDER, but do not violently throw your head. This will send you into the roll. Keep your eyes open and look for the landing. Land, smile, and ride away like a champ!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-04-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
u need to also remember your cut needs to be straight at the wake almost away from the boat. u need to push your board up the wake and away from the boat. and you'll have it
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
wouldve been some nice 180's!
Old     (slamminp)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
The thing that freaks me out the most about backrolling is getting the line wrapped around my neck during the rotation. If I don't get inverted enough, it could theoretically wrap around a full 360 degrees. Has anyone heard of this happening to anybody? It doesn't seem very possible but it still freaks me out.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-20-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
If you're doing anything even closely resembling a backroll, the rope wrapping around your neck is an impossibility.

-Steve
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
ya dude i would definately learn to go w2w before you try any type of inverts...Get some grabs down and 180s but from that video you aren't ready for a backroll.