Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    greg_mercer            02-01-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
I am a senior in high school right now and am making the choice of where to go to school. I think I am going to go to U of Texas and wanted to know if anyone else here goes there...

Who here Wakeboards around the Austin area? Anyone?

Greg

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
go to www.360wakebaord.com, they have some of the best spots in Texas, not to mention some of the best looking women in the country. I try and make it over there a few times during the summer. IMO opinion Austin is by far the best place to live in Texas, but the job market isn't the greatest (no one ever wants to leave after going to school there)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
ut has one of the best, most organized wakeboard clubs in the state. they plan a couple texas college tournaments/parties every semester. i think they have mastercraft's private lake in dallas reserved for the weekend in a couple months. should be crazy. i'm sure someone here has the name and number of their president. wes something? i met him once and he's a really good guy.

and yes, texas is home to the best looking women in the world. i'm sure i'll get some opposition here, but i've spent significant time in about 30 of the 50 states, including cali, arizona, and living in hawaii for four years. it doesn't get any better than the great state of texas. insult texas itself all you want--it has its flaws, no question--but i've got three names for you: eva longoria, jessica simpson, beyonce knowles. visit any texas university, and you'll see what i mean.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-02-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I'm at UT right now, we've got both an official Waterski/Wakeboard Team as well as a wakeboarding club called Burnt Orange Wake (which is the group that Wes is in charge of). I haven't had any experience with the offical team, but I will say that the guys in BOW are all really cool and welcoming. They've got a website at https://webspace.utexas.edu/blh355/BOW/Website/Home/Home.html

Check the boat schedule and all, they've got a great system for organizing drivers/ride times (and they ride all the time), and their dues are very fair.

My family is from Austin and we've got a place/boat on Lake Travis so I've opted out of joining up in the interest of saving some cash. Hit me up sometime if you end up at UT and want a pull -- we ride mostly on Travis, but depending on whether or not we get some decent rain in the next few weeks, we might have to start trailering it over to Lake Austin.

(Message edited by thirdgear on February 02, 2006)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-02-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
If you're into wakeboarding, you might also check out Clemson out in SC. I'm not a big fan of the school seeing as I went to University of Georgia but they do have a most excellent lake pratically right next to the campus. I used to go out with some friends around there on weekends. They would go between classes almost every day during season. There was a group of about 8 of them that would alternate depending on class schedule and leave the boat out the entire day.

Not sure about any organized clubs or anything like UT has. And if you're looking at UT, I assume you leave somewhat near there. South Carolina might be a LONG way from home. Personally, I'd rather go to UT but Texas was my 2nd choice right behind UGA for college. The HOPE grant is all that really kept me in Georgia though I did really like it there (despite the lack of a decent lake nearby).
Old    greg_mercer            02-02-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm going down to visit Austin next Wednesday. My parents lived in Texas for 4 years because my dad was stationed in the Military there.

I have lived in Maryland my whole life though.

Dante -

I actually applied to UGA and Clemson. Texas is my first choice out of the schools I applied to though. I also applied to university of Colorado, UNH, UCONN, Virgina Tech, Delaware and Auburn.

Greg

Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-03-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
I live in Austin. You will have a blast at UT. This is a great college town and you won't want to leave after you graduate. That is why most just stay.