Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-11-2004, 10:10 PM Reply   
I've found someone nearby who is selling a 1989 Sport Nautique in my price range ($11,000) and I was just hoping to find some opinions before I go check it out this weekend.

Everything so far looks good, the boat's engine is supposedly a new-rebuild w/ less than 100 hours, has a tower, speakers, the and several other extras, but this is the first I've heard of this model for this year.

If anyone could gove me some feedback about the boat and what I may want to look for I'd appreciate the help. I've been looking for a used, open bow boat around this price and this seems to be a decent fit. But, llike I've said I've never really heard much about the model/year so I'd klike to know more before I move forward.

Thanks for the help
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2004, 10:16 PM Reply   
Is that the slapaho boat you are talking about ?
Old    bryce_04            02-11-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
we own a 1990 sport nauty and we love ours. We bought it last year and since then we've added a ballast system, board racks, tower speakers and a 10" sub. I love the wake on it. Be careful about the rebulit engine... we bought ours with a "new motor" and this summer it blew a head gasket. Pretty costly, other than that we love it.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
It is the slapaho boat I was checking out. You know anything about it? Looks allright but I'll probably try and go check it out this weekend. Not sure about being a billboard, though.

Any thoughts?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
I did a quick search on the board for "Sport Nautique" and these are some applicable past threads.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/67572.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/93748.html

Stickers are removable!
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have a 1990 sport nauty and I believe that it is the same boat that your checking out. I've been really happy w/ it so far and it's been great. Currently I'm running 2 500ish lb. sacks on either side of the engine and it still handles and planes like w/ no problem. If you can snag that one for $11k w/ a tower and all the extras w/ a strong engine then I'd say you'd be getting a great deal! I think that you could turn around and make a few $k on it during the summer if you didn't like it for some reason?

Here are the few things I wish I could change so you know the less than optimal attributes:

The molded in swim platform makes it easy to take water over the back if not driven correctly. You'll take a bit of water over every once in a while if you get lazy but no biggie. It is really sturdy though and I like that. It also makes it longer as you can't take it off to get it in a garage.

The observer seat is a captains chair just like the driver's side, but it does spin around. I'd prefer it to have the traditional bench style so you could have the extra storage out of the way. I may change this over on mine...but you can put stuff up in the same area anyway..it's just not completely out of the way. This option could be a plus for some people though?

I wish it had a bigger gas tank. 25gal and loaded doesn't let you go out all day. I carry extra gas in big jugs in my truck so I just cruise into the dock and refill if necessary..so no big deal.

Here a pic:

Bryce's above is also very sharp w/ the new gel coat.

In the links Peter gave there are some good comments by some very good riders... (like Peter and Matt) so you know the wake is up to par. I'm just happy to be out there! :-)

What is this slapaho and sticker reference about?
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
the boat I've seen in some on line ads is a promo boat for some organization called 'support life and put a helmet on' Not sure what exactly they do beond the obvious, or it may just be a clever acronym. I'd probably lean toward the latter. If I could take the stickers off I might, if not it's kind of funny.

I should know more this weekend.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-13-2004, 1:17 AM Reply   
im positive you could take those stickers off and put some sweet new nautique graphics. Unfortunately for me my parents say we have to wait until next summer to try and buy a new boat or else we would have been all over that one. It looks really nice.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-13-2004, 1:20 AM Reply   

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-13-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Sweet....they did the conversion of the observer seat that I've been wanting to do.... They did a fully new interior as it's not stock for sure. That boat would definitely catch your eye! eek!

Thanks for posting that..i'll have to give em a call.

Oh, and Drunk...if you have the means...i'd snag that boat for sure. That is a nice setup for the $$. I doubt it will last long at that price....but you may want to make friends w/ someone that can spray some gelcoat! :-)