Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Is it ok to keep your boards in your board racks while pullin ur boat?
Old    norcal_99            02-27-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
I've seen it done, but I've never tried it, nor do I recommend it.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
If you get a highway patrol person that is having a bad day, they may be able to sight you for exceeding the 102" maximum width. I do it but I'm just afew minutes from the ramp. Would I go on the Fwy with racked boards? No.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
We leave the boards in the racks on short trips. And if your worried about the boards falling out, dont be, I left my board unstrapped all the way to the lake (20 mins at 75mph and it didnt even move).
Old    disbemrj            02-27-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
Chris,
I posted the same question at the end of last year. I got a mixed response. I ended up buying some wakeboard travel bags (rolling coffin). It is very nice way to go for storage and protects the boards too. Kind of pricey, but you can find deals on ebay.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
Is it worth the risk? If a board came out of the rack and hit the road it would be totalled, if it hit a car or a pedestrian you would be in deep doo doo. I always chuck the boards in the boat when towing.
Old    chris_hargis            02-27-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
I also asked this question a long time ago and was told not to do it. I travel about 15 miles to the lake and what I noticed the first time I did it was that my board rack twisted. I always store the board in the boat now except when I am on the water.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
One word...STUPID

I'm not implying your stupid, just the idea.

JMO
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-27-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
can you say "lawsuit" if any of those boards ever come off.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
yea thnx for the responses, I was just wondering if people do it, cause our boat has very little storage.
Thnx guys
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
to the ramp and back we close the walkthru door and window and put the boards on top of the jackets on the floor in the boat
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-27-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
yeah your board would be wrecked if it fell out going down the freeway, unless it was an origin.

shawn - you pull your boat at 75 on the freeway?! that's felony speed bro. Felony speed and exceeding the maximum width of 102", $$.

would I do it? never.
Old    nohalfboats            02-27-2003, 6:21 PM Reply   
get some racks for the top of your vehicle
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
Double post... Sorry

(Message edited by liveoz on February 27, 2003)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
I came across these the other day. This looks like a good way to get the boards to the lake in style.
Rimg0007.jpg
2.jpg
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
O.K. This is getting real annoying. I am just trying to post two stupid little pictures for your amusement, and the board keeps crashing in the middle of the upload. After a half an hour, I give up. I'll post in a new thread at a later date.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2003, 7:38 PM Reply   
Does haveing boards in the rack actually exceed the maximum width of 102". I dont think it does, beam of 90", the tower tapers so i would say roughly around 80", and also the boards are angled so that maybe puts it to about 85-90", 95" at most so not worried about that at all.

Thane - "75 felony speed" were you live are the speed limts 40, cause 10 mph over is nothing, you have to be doing at leat 80 for the HP to even notice.
Old    mobiusv            02-27-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
at a tournament i heard a guy left his board in the rack on the way up and when we got there there wasn't much left.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-27-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
I agree without the boat full speed ahead. With the boat 65 mph is as fast as we go.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    suzmar1997            03-02-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Well, I got jacked for 76 MPH down the grapevine and I'm a cop. CHP are usually "by the book" when it comes to trailered vehicles.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
shawn - in case you didn't know, when you're pulling your boat on the freeway the speed limit is 55mph. Anything 20+ over the speed limit is felony speed. If they pull you over, they can impound your vehicle if they want to.

Question for everyone: For doing felony speed pulling a boat, would they impound your boat and your truck? how much would that suck?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Not only can they impound your vehicle AND your boat, but they can also arrest you for wreckless driving.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       03-02-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
Guess we've just been lucky, last week towin the boat to the shop and doing 75. CHP right behind got on the loud speaker told us to slow to 65 and then commented on how nice the boat was.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
what a nice guy, he must have been a wakeboarder?
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
i saw a chips episode where the boat came unhooked, launched off of a pinto and then crashed into a convenience store. Luckily Ponch and John rescued everyone only seconds before everything blew up.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
I'll offer a litter counter point. The board racks are the safest place for your boards when driving. When driving in bad neighborhoods I like to move the boards inside the truck but otherwise they stay on the racks. The boards will suffer a little more wear--exposure to sun and pelted by bugs, but I get a new board every year so it is negligable.

Where are the boards safer? Outside your vehicle or inside? My preference is to not have loose board or even a board bag flying around the inside m suburban.

My board racks do an excellent job of holding the boards. Never has a board fallen out when secured properly--either on the water or when towing. Also, I've looked and can not find any tower or boat companies that tell you not to tow a boat with the boards in their racks. (Maybe they will after this post! :-) Also, point me their way, if I am wrong.)

I can not think of what kind of accident would need to occur for the board racks to fail and launch the boards. Also wouldn't the onus for negligence be on the person that caused the accident? If a semi blows through a light and vaporizes my boat and the boards fly off that would be the truckers fault. Likewise if I blew threw the light--it would be my negligent driving at fault. But no matter whose fault--I like the odds of the boards flying around outside to the ground rather than inside the cab of my truck. Thinking probablity--the boards flying inside the confined space of a suburban with two people are much more likely to hit someone that outside the truck...
Old    wuneyewilly            03-03-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
I do it! Geez, I've even done it on the freeway! I have had my boards in the racks on rougher water, at higher speeds, than any road so far (middle of Berryessa, Folsom, Tahoe). Me Dad is also a hard nosed Lt. w/ the sheriffs dept. and he hasnt given me "the lecture" and has even rode in the truck while doing it.

To comment on the board coming out while en route...I imagine that if a speaker came off or my spare or my platform (cuz we all check the pins at a days end of riding!) I would get SUED too. I might be a rebel cuz I even put stuff in the bed of my truck without tying it down...uh huh, insanity.

Crap happens, but if you are aware of and keep your rig in good condition, have quality parts and use a tad of common sense, you can save your "pushing the envelope" for other things.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-03-2003, 11:39 PM Reply   
I came across hese the other day. This seems like a way to tote your boards in style. I am sure Phaeton could make some up for you.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-05-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
I have always towed the boat with the boards in the rack, and have never had a problem. I even had a special cover made to go over the tower with the boards on it. I only put that cover on if the boat is going to sit a couple of days. I had it made mainly to protect the boards and bindings from the UV rays.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       03-05-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Here is a more practical rack that I saw while at SEMA. These were the only pics I took.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=37365&anum=2864

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=37366&anum=2864