Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
So I rolled my ankle pretty badly about 6 weeks ago doing a nonwakeboarding activity, what a waste. I rode about 3 weeks after the injury, and it sucked. So I kept off it and it has been getting stronger and went over the weekend and had some problems.

Seemingly, something got pretty tweaked, like the foot has no stability when it bends back toward the leg, like when you ride bent knees. A small impact or quick movement in that direction makes it feel like something is going bone on bone and then the pain starts, and the riding is ruined.

I realize that I am probably past due for the doctor and an X-Ray and MRI. I was just wondering what others have gone through with bad ankle sprains and what I am in for. Hopefully I can rehab without surgery, but if I need it to get back on the board, then it will be done. The real shame is that I was just getting good enough to go after some tricks and start progressing. Oh well..........
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       09-29-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
I wrecked my ankle over two months ago. Came short on a tantrum and got a 3rd degree sprain. I rested it for a month, went out and tried riding and resprained it. Now it has been another 6 weeks, I started riding again after 5 weeks, and it feels pretty good. Still going to take it easy until I build it up. Here is some things that they reccommend: SELF-CARE:

Treat ankle sprains with RICE therapy: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Ice the injury as soon as possible. Cover your ankle with a WET towel and place a plastic bag full of ice over it. A one or two pound package of frozen corn or peas makes an excellent ice pack. They mold to the ankle and can be refrozen for repeated use. Ice should be applied for 10 to 30 minutes on and off for 48 to 72 hours. Stay off your feet. Recline and elevate the hurt ankle slightly higher than your hips. Compress the injury with an elastic bandage. For the first few days after the sprain, crutches are advised, even with mild sprains.

Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-29-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
Last year I did the same. Kept me from doing a few goals I set for myself.

Earlier this year I hurt my knee on a ramp aggressive inlining, thought I broke it at first, but that kept me off the water for 3 weeks.

I still rode with it sore later but didnt do any stuff that Id hurt it on and wore a knee brace.

Later this year I hurt my wrist pretty bad inlining a 6' half pipe (and falling off my boat cleaning it re-injured my wrist). It still hurts even now but again I use a brace but I am not riding as conservatly as before. I pulled 3 360s this summer with it hurt and last time out my first invert ever...ts back roll. That was sooo cool.

I had a riding buddy tell me that Im too hard on my body and at my age it doesnt heal as fast. All I really heard was "blah blah blah yadda yadda ya" :-)

Oh, not to mention the permanent whip lash and concussions Ive gotten. Everytime I think my neck is better, I goof up a sw or half cab and WHAM! instant whiplash. Although Im glad to say I havent had any eye lid peelers in a while. Screw CPR, anyone know how to put your eye balls back in?

I'd be happy just riding and jumping the wakes when Im hurt as long as Im out there. I dont know why. Addicted or something.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Got the same problem Cliff, that addiction thing. Unfortunately, my ankle is jacked enough that I keep hurting it every time I get on the handle. I think my season may be done. I can still drive the boat without any pain though.

I guess it's time to see the Doc, and find out if there is a fracture or ruptured ligament that will not heal without surgery.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
You need to first have it looked at.

But the RICE thing could prolong your injury. By immobilizing your ankle you are making the muscles weaker and weaker. You need to do some light strengthening to build the muscles around your injury. More rest will set you back further. Focus on light exercises with a thera-band that don't hurt. The ice is very important though. Get your hands on a musle stem if you can.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-29-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yeah, thats what everyone told me too JRod visit the doc, but Im old school I guess.

Same for my wrist. When I fell off my boat like an old fart and re-injured my wrist, it hurt like a mo fo. Everytime I fall a certian way w/o my wrist brace on it hurt...so I started wearing it while riding. I dont need it any other time.

If my wrist isnt any better when my season ends...THEN I will go to a doc. I dont want him putting a cast on me and me not able to ride. That just wouldnt be right...right?

I knew my ankle wasnt broken but it hurt to put on the bindings so I took a few weeks off from riding, then braced it, then rehurt it riding, then braced it, then hurt it again...but not as bad as befoe. Each time I rehurt it, it wasnt as bad as before and the doc told me it takes a long time for some sprains to reheal, especially if you dont stop doing the activities that hurt it.

I didnt do anything special to help heal it except wakeboarding. I think the support from the bindings really helped my ankle heal up. That sounds therapeutic, dont it?

Wonder if my addition is getting in the way of my health?

Naaa, of course not, how could it.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-29-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
Serously though, dont do what I did by any means.

Heal yourself correctly then ride.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
I figured by now, 7 weeks later, this thing would have subsided and I could ride. The ankle definately is stronger and much more stable and feels normal except for when it bends toward the leg with a bit of force, that is when the alarm goes off and I have to drop the rope and float in pain.

Oh well, guess it's time to lay off and heal. And I just got an invite to go wakeboarding this weekend, damn it all.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
Flux ~ it takes well over 1 yr for swelling to go away in the ankle jt. The pain you're having is normal after a severe sprain......but you should STILL GET IT CHECKED
The direction I believe you're describing is called Dorisflexion ( Pulling the toes/foot up)
Conversely when stepping pointing the Toes down is call Plantarflexion ( You know as in "planting your foot")
If it's not that and it's something else....ohhhhh never mind.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on September 29, 2003)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
Dorsiflexion it is!!!!
Feels like bone on bone and massive pain afterwards. Kind of ruins the fun. I looked around online and found some info. Seems like some junk is getting in between the joint when my foot moves that way. Possible surgery deal.

I am off to the doctor this Wednesday, hopefully all goes well and I just need some time. Surgery if needed, I want to ride.
Old    whitechocolate            09-29-2003, 5:58 PM Reply   
The best advice is what you already know. REST
Try the Wakeskate and or the Wakesurf boards if they dont hurt and you simpley cant sit still when others are out riding. I broke my Ankle 3 months back and was on crutches So I to know how much a injury sucks. Im glad I gave it time to heal properly because, Im on my way to a full recovery, I just started riding again and everything seem's great, Grab a drink and get the flag. Your done! Face it even super-heros break
Old    whitechocolate            09-29-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
O by the way My doctor told me I had what they called Snowboarders break It's a comon Ankle break that happens when the ankle is rolled,and then snaped back into place It break's the "talyus" pronounced Tal-iss He said when the ankle rolls it breaks the oppasate side of the talyus from the stretch. Its a small bone chip that breaks off, And if you lucky Like I Was you can break both sides of the talyus at the same time< of corse im joking about being lucky it sucks big time.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2003, 5:57 AM Reply   
Stop guessing and go to the Doc if it hurts that bad.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Just a note about ankle injuries from personal experience:

Get one of those air casts. They rock! I guess they are supposed to provide cyclical compression when you walk to improve circulation and reduce swelling. When I tore up the ligaments in my ankle, walking around in that thing made it feel much better. I'm thinking it probably sped up recovery too with the improved circulation.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
Thanks all. I have a feeling my ankle has a bit more wrong with it then just a few sprained ligaments. That Taylus things Grant mentioned sounds alot like what is going on. Friggin hurts down deep in the bones when my ankle buends toward the leg.

I made a Doc appointment yesterday and ain't gonna ride til I get the real diagnosis from an Orthopedic who has my X-ray's and an MRI.

Rootc got it right, and I can't ride anyway, time to get it taken care of. Too bad, looks like my season is gone even though we have until Thanksgiving down here in Socal.
Old    svfara            09-30-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have a feeling I had the same thing happen to me last Sept. (crashed trying a raley)
Doctor said it was a pretty good sprain (although the Taylus thing sounds exactly like what happened), He suggested I just give it a lot of rest (if it hurts, don't do it!)
It finally got better enough in Dec. to ski (ski boot provided pretty good support)
Wakeboarding this summer has been ok, although I can occasinally still feel some pain if I bend it too far and it's been an entire year.
Ankles take a long time to completely heal.
Old    fred_buish            09-30-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
Flux...do you have a knot on the inside of your ankle between the heel and that other bone sticking out?I believe i have the same injury.i went to my doctor and he took x-rays but couldnt see anything broke what im getting to is my ankle bent the same way.over three monthes ago and every single time i strap a board on i reinjure it.the first time was the worst and it was less painful every time.i took three weeks off and it was feeling pretty good so i went out this weekend and it did it again it felt like it did the first time.it hurt bad swole up before i could get the boot off so we had to pour some baby oil in there to get the boot off.let us know what the doc tells you.i am also gonna schedule a mri to see what this knot is.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Yo Fred,
My initial injury was straight up rolling the ankle over side to side, like a typical sprain, foot goes to the inside, wieght goes outside, no fun for foot. This was about 6 weeks ago, and it healed up pretty well except for this dorsiflexion (when foot bends in toward leg) thing that is painful as hell. It happens when I suddenly jolt my foot up toward the leg in the forward/backward direction.

I have wakeboarded twice on the ankle. At 2.5 weeks it hurt like hell to get in the binding and I did the dorsiflexion thing and it hurt so bad I could not ride again that weekend. Landing on the flats made me want to cry, it really sucked because we had great water for hours and hours and there was only three of us riding!!

At 5.5 weeks after the intial sprain I rode again at Naci. My first day was cool and got in and out of my bindings fine. I rode very conservatively, not wanting to crash and jack the ankle up. The second day I rode for about 5 minutes and did the dorsiflexion crunch on my ankle, hurt like hell, no more riding.

My ankle is just generally swollen on the outside, where all the ligaments are, around the bone. I can feel the area inside the ankle where the pain is coming from, it's not ligaments, it's something else.

Hopefully I will get X-rayed and MRI'ed this week or early next week and figure out what to do. I will definately post the results. From the response here, I guess I am not alone with my ankle trouble, thanks all.