Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-30-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
I was thinking about taking my boat to the dealer to have them winterize it, but I have it in the garage this winter and so far the coldest it has got in there is 35 degrees.
Anyone have any idea how long it takes IF it gets to 32 degrees in my garage for any engine or ballast pump problems
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-30-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Better yet,

Get an instructional book on indmar and do it yourself in about a half an hour. It's not very likely that you'd have a problem with freezing but the water in your system will sit all winter long and may cause problems with your thermostat, and your heater core due to rust come spring.

(Message edited by Seattle on November 30, 2007)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-30-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
I was told it would have to be below freezing for 2 - 3 days straight but that could be incorrect I winterize mine before the first freeze just to be safe
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-30-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Ken, 35 isn't going to do anything. Someone on here kept a thermometer that took temps every hour or so and it had to get real cold for an extended amount of time. Do you guys carry zero start. I actually keep my boat down at Blanchard and I have used a zero start magnetic block heater and that seemed to help. It definatly wouldn't hurt though to have the boat winterized. Drain the water, fog the cylinders and drain the ballast. Better safe than sorry I guess. It has to be damn cold down there. It was below freezing up here last night.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
If ya get a little worried, just hang a 60w shop light in the engine bay on a timer.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-30-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
my attached garage doesn't get below 50*.

I remember the graph from the thermo test brett mentioned. I think it took 12 hours for the doghouse to match outside temp. so, unless you're below freezing for several days, nothing to worry about.

droplight, chritmas lights or block heater works if its outside and will be freezing for several days.

im with cliff. learn to winterize it yourself. 1/2 hour tops.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-30-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Brett
Yeah it has been below freezing, I have a thermometer in my garage and so far it has been to 35, just looks like a lot of work to drain the block, ballast and heater core stuff, I guess I can just suck it up and do it, wish I had the room here to store it at ase, heated warehouse...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
I took the readings and plotted them on the chart. The block typically does not get more than a few degrees below the average ambient temperature. I don't worry until the high temperatures of the day drop down into the mid 30's. You are in Washington, can you toss a drop light on a timeclock in the motor compartment? (don't forget to use a new lightbulb, mine went out last year while I was on vacation, luckily it was not that cold) In Northern California I have never winterized a boat. We only need to worry when we have a big cold spell (like we did last winter, hence the light bulb in the motor compartment, it went out after the spell).

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/392888.html
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-01-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Winterizing is not just about keeping it from freezing. You need to change the engine and tranny fluid, fog the cylinders to keep them from rusting, loosen belts, remove impeller, fill with antifreeze to prevent rust, and fill with fuel stabilizer. Your boat is going to be in a layup period and you should prepare it properly. I might be anal but I want to turn the key in the spring and ride.