Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old    xtremebordgurl            03-07-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Inspired by the Bocce post and the latest poll, I'm wondering how many people let dogs on the boat and if anyone has ever had any problems with dogs on the boat (messes, scratching apholstery, etc.). My friends have dogs and I've never let them on the boat but now I'm wondering if its not such a bad idea.

So, do you let dogs on your boat? Why or Why not?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-07-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
no way! Dog hair (depending on the dog) gets embedded in the carpet and starts to stink. Or their nails can puncture thru the upholstry (happened on my old boat)
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
According to the wake poll this morning about 50% of us do.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-07-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
My dogs go everywhere with me. Yes, they are hard on the boat, the truck, the house, the atv.... but they are part of the family.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-07-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
My dog gets hair everywhere on the boat, but she loves going out so I'm OK with it. When she's out with me I put towels down on the seats so she doesn't puncture them with her nails and it seems to work fine. It's a choice you make when you get a dog. Your house, cars, boats and clothes wont ever be hair free again.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-07-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I never really see much of a problem with my dog's nails...he seems to use his pads more for grip on the vinyl anyway. As for hair and messes though, he's a Husky, so we keep him shaved, and he's only gone in the boat once, and it was mostly my fault (was too busy untying a rope from the prop to notice he was whining).
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I got two that go with us...A white pom and a brindel Cane Corso..Like mentioned above they are part of the fam...They get so excited when they see us packing up the boat and loading up the truck...Can't say no to that...
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-07-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
We take out lab out everytime we go. No problems with the boat other than hair and I can live with that. Stupid people are the one's I have problems with.
Old     (sk_centurion)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-07-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have a Boxer and I take him in the boat quite a bit. If I have a ton of people he stays home. I have never had a problem with his nails on the vinyl He is quite active and his nails are very short. Its not like he is running around or anything. There is some hair in the boat but he does not shed that much. He is good for extra ballast to.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-07-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Would you leave your kids at home when you went to the lake?
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-07-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
^ If I could!! haha j/k but seriously though.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
Before I had a dog, I thought "No way I will ever bring a dog on the boat, I am way too anal." However, we always bring our lab with us and really no problems yet. Yes, there's a lot more hair than usual, but you just gotta clean it up. So far, no problems AT ALL with punctures or even scratches to the vinyl, and he moves around the boat quite a bit (mostly trying to bite the water haha). When he was a puppy, he lost his bladder a couple times, but it's really not that big of a deal. Just soak it up the best you can, rinse it down with a bunch of water, and let the sun dry the floor up.

He has also dropped a dookie before, but thank god it was on the swimstep. It was pretty funny.

I can't imagine not bringing him. He loves it.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-07-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
yes my dog gets crazy on the boat and he has long black hair but i love him more than anything so he comes out, he has too much fun to make him sit at home when it's nice.

if we are doing an evening or short ride i will leave him at home though
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-07-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I have no problem with dogs on the boat. Our crew now has 2 dogs, and I suspect they will both be on the boat at various times. I would not leave the kids on shore, nor the dogs. You have to train them a bit, just like kids and adults, on how to not destroy the boat. Heck, I have done more damage to the seats then the dogs have. I have a good shop vac for the hair.

(Message edited by Flux on March 07, 2007)
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-07-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Not any more, wet dog hair and worn upholstery.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-07-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
We just got a puppy this year. We chose a small dog so he wouldn't get in the way. Also when he moves around he would mess up the wake.
Upload
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-07-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
since they are not your dogs, you need to be able to trust your friends to take care of any issues. are you able to do that? are your friends going to be helping you vacuum up the hair, and are they prepared to pay for any damage? (torn vinyl)
I think the decision is almost a no brainer for dog owners, but if you are not a dog owner yourself, you need to make sure the actual owners are responsible.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thomas: Very true. Most of these responses (including mine) were from dog owners bringing their OWN dogs on their boats. I know I would definitely think twice about a friend bringing some random dog on board. At the least, I would expect the person to take care of business should anything happen.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Yes, dog hair gets everywhere. It amazes me when I take my seat cushions out and find it in places they have never been. But, that's what they make shop vacs for. And, in all my years of daily dogs in the boat I have never had one put a nail throught the upholstery or scratch it. For me, I can't imagine not having Bocce and Roxy on the boat. And, if any of our friends have dogs they always bring them, and we love it. But, I am a huge animal person, and for me it makes the day on the boat a lot more fun.

But, I would never take Bocce on a boat where I knew there weren't going to be other dogs or that they weren't 100% fine with it. Luckily all the guys I ride with have dogs and take them on the their boats.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
My wife will bring ours everytime she comes with me. We have a Yorkie and since they don't shed I don't have the hair problem. The only thing I really worry about is her falling out of the boat especially while underway. Small dog, big wakes/waves, no good.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-07-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
we bring our chocolate lab. she loves the water, we have to watch to make sure she doesnt dive in...

but, we do put towels down on all the seats.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-07-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
travis, can Bocce swim good? my I.G. (gixxer)can't swim worth a flip, a doggie life jacket saved his little butt. he jumped out once and only once.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Not really. He can do it, but he swims like an idiot. He fell in once while we were idling and I stopped the boat and he swam to the platform and got back on it himself. He used those long ass legs to pull himself back up. He mostly just chills in the boat if it is moving fast. He will get on the sundeck while we are idling through the canals.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-07-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
swims like an idiot! yea that about describes it!
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-07-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
I would be curious how many people allow OTHER people's dogs on the boat, esp. if you don't know the dog/person. Example, I had two girls coming out one day and one girl asked me if the other girl could bring her dog. I didn't really know how to respond (they were super hot strippers) so I said "if you would let the dog in your car, he can come on my boat." Girl left the dog home. I'm sure it's diff with your own dogs, like kids.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-07-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
My dog is all over the boat, fur totally embedded into the carpet. Totally worth it. Funny story, a few years ago, I had a clogged fuel line. When the mechanic cleared it out, the screen was caked with dog hair. How it got in the fuel line I have no idea. Now I'm more careful about keeping the caps on my gas cans and that's about it. Just make sure your dog gets lots of exercise pounding the pavement and the nails will stay nice and short and you shouldn't have to worry about vinyl. Carpets can be cleaned so who gives a **** about that issue? He's contributes more to cleanliness by licking up spilled beers so he more than earns his keep in my book.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-07-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
it depends on how cute the dog owner is, and how well behaved the dog is

for the most part though, no
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
My buddies big lab put two holes in the vinyl and was always in the way. Unfortunately, someone else's dog is sometimes like someone else's kid. You only have so much control.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-08-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Oh come on how could you say no to this face. . . .Upload
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
I had a real issue with dogs on my boat last summer. It really made me not even want to go to the lake at all. It caused a lot of tension and after all.....we buy our boats to enjoy long term, and not to please as many people as we can. Finally...I told my crew....NO MORE DOGS!! Date hotter chicks or you're OUT...simple as that. Plus it was around the same time as the infamous "Boat Bun" thread...so I was pissed! Nothing makes me want to spit out my Coors Light worse than a fat,ugly chick with more arm pit hair than me bitching about how hot it is while she wipes the sweat off her mustache!!!! One of my buddies looked like a damn "before and after" photo in every pic of him and his girl! Friggin idiot!!!!
Old     (miller_time)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Lyle, what kind of dog is that? I love its blue eyes!
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
We used to take our dog, but the hair started to make me crazy.

When it was time to go home, he would rebel and swim out to other boats, and get on.

Needless to say, people were pretty freaked seeing a 130 lb dog get in their boat while in the water.

Upload
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-08-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
Looks like a black lab, around 8 weeks. We got a yellow a month ago, she had very bright green or blue eyes, depending on the light. They are fading a bit though at 14 weeks. She is going on the boat for the first time this weekend. I have a shop vac and can get new skins for the seats if it comes to that. Hell, i have done more damage to the seats then anyone.

Shelby
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-08-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
She is what they call a Silver Lab. It is recessive gene in the chocolate lab. Here is a picture of what she looks like now. Kind of an unusual color, people have said that she is not a lab but a mix. They can look at the papers if they want. The real reason we got her is because her fur is the exact color of our carpet in the boat, and she is an additional 80lbs of ballast.

Upload
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
she's a beaut!
Old     (jordanb05)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-08-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
I am looking into getting a lab and I read earlier today that there is no such thing as a silver lab but there could be a really light chocolate lab or a mix. Since you say it is full blood then it must be a light chocolate. I don't think there is a gene for silver labs. I could be wrong though. Either way she is a nice looking dog.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
Lyle...she looks like a Weimaraner to me. I've owned several labs over the years and have had all 3 common colors(black, yellow, and choc)....never seen a silver. She's pretty!

Just lost this old girl last year.....Ms. Daisy. Prettiest yellow I've ever seen, and I had the privlege of owning her for 14 years. She was a precious part of our family....loved my kids, and was a hellacious duck retriever.

Upload
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Lyle, I just thought the picture was a little funny and she was a black. Beautiful dog. She kept the hazel eyes?? Our Yellow is getting alot of that foxy/apricot colored fur on her, and she has a brown nose. Regardless, she's terrific!! We are all pretty excited to get her to the lake and see her swim. It's unreal how smart these labs are. She learns commands very quickly and fetched from day one. I am rambling.

FOX, I think you might need another pup.

I love my boat and all and certainly want to keep it pristine, but I also wanna have a blast and enjoy life to the fullest, which includes having the pup along with us.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-09-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
This is where we got her from http://www.silvervalleykennels.com/ It is funny if you do searches about them on the web there are all these big time dog breaders saying all gray labs should be killed because they are screwing up the gene pool. We ran into an old vet at one point and he said they have been around for a while. Apparently 'back in the day' they were called Blues, because they have blue skin. Sure enough when we checked she does.

I'll tell you what she loves the boat. Even when the crew starts showing up with their wakeboards she starts going nuts. I might try to take her on the long board with me this summer that might be kind of fun.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-09-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Flux,
They keep getting smarter too. Our dog got a little infection. So we've been giving her pills in her food. On the third day she left the pill in her bowl, so we made her eat it anyway. The forth day she took the pill out of her food and put it behind her food dish. So now it is turning into a game of hide and seek. If you want a really good training book pick up Water Dog, by Walters. We've read several and it is the best. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about teaching her to wakeboard. We have taught her though to go to bathroom before getting in the boat, wipe her feet on an old towel before getting in the boat, and "get in your seat." These have seemed to help minimize damage to the boat. Oh and if she gets to swimming off the back of the boat she knows to stand on the swim platform until she has been dried off.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I read some of that stuff about the "non pure" labs. They have those show dog standards, ours would never make it because she has some recessive stuff going on like the brown nose and the Foxy coat. Whatever the case, they are still all lab all the time and those big breeders can KMA!!

We got ours from a family, they had two females, mother and daughter, and they came into heat at the same time so they bred them both. They had 25 puppies in the cage!! It was incredible, a sea of puppies. The breeders are boat people who frequent Havasu and have three kids, so the pups were well socialized. We picked the runt with the lightest coat. She nuzzled up to me when I held her and that was that, "we'll take this one". We liked the family breeders, they did it for a bit of cash but really took amazing care of the pups, ours was paper trained when we got it home.

She's no runt anymore, I swear it's like 3 lbs a week so far and she doubled in size in from weeks 8-13. Thanks for the tip on the book, I will look it up. I may try to get her on the surfer with me this weekend, very excited.

Sucks that people have bad experiences with their dogs on the boat. We are priding ourselves to train the dog well, like Lyle did. I expect some damage, but you kind of have to think what you love more. A boat is just a vehicle for fun and your family (dogs included) and friends make all the difference in whether or not you have that fun.

One of my kids spilled red gatorade on the carpet of my brand new F250 the first weekend out. i looked at it and decided that "it was bound to happen, better now so that I can get over it and enjoy this truck without worrying too much". Since then I got a floor liner, which completely stopped a rogue latte from destroying the carpet. We will throw some towels over the seats and hope for the best with the puppy. Life is short, I can't spend time worrying too much about cosmetics, I will focus on keeping my boat running in tip top shape and everything else will take car of itself.
Old     (brookesta)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-09-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Ruff Wear! makes all these products for boat dogs, booties, life vests,deck steps, you name it....they just make it easier and more practical for the dog to enjoy the ride and not ruin the boat
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
thats the perfect attitude to have Flux. why waste time worrying about the little things?
not sure if you have read this one: Marley and Me, by John Rogan. it is a must read for all lab owners.
regardless of what Lyle's dog is, it is beautiful. I would love to have a lab that color.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
Yep, I am starting to chill out in my old age, or maybe just getting things right. I seriously try not to be to anal about things with the kids and the dog. These are some of my biggest joys in life, coming home from work and getting hugs and the puppy throws her self on me and licks my face. If I can't take a little bit of mess and hair and let my truck and boat take a little beating, then I really can't have these joys in life, they will all begin to resent me for being a jerk all the time.

My zero tolerance comes to safety, that's where I am a stickler. Other than that I try to clear my head of all these little things and get back to basics, just having a good time. I love our boat, but I have to draw the line on certain things. Keep her maintained and as clean as I can. Obviously I don't want it abused, but that is a matter of training. The kids get "clear" drinks on the boat, that helps. We will have to cover the seats and vacuum up hair. Oh well right?? It's a labor of love and the boat can be fixed and cleaned. I don't want to miss any of those "perfect moments" because I am freaking out over some little thing that has nothing to do with how the boat runs, performs, kicks out a monster wake, etc.

Maybe I will have to reskin some of my seats?? Yeah probably. I also need to buff out the scuffs on the hull and work on the keel, it's all scratched from beaching it and the bunks on the trailer. What I am most worried about is changing my tranny fluid, a new impeller, repacking all the trailer bearings etc etc etc.
Old     (maryland_renegade)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
I was a little paranoid about Sophie putting holes in the vinyl, so we found these little booties at pets mart and tried them out. They cost about twenty bucks and work great. The only problem is after a while Sophie gets restless in the boat, and true Lab from needs to be in the water swimming if theres water around. When these unannounced mad dashes to water happen all the booties come off and of course they do not float so after three sets we are left with having to come up with something else. She stays in the floor of the boat really well, we just need to put a cover on the rear seat and sun deck so she can get back and forth from the swim platform. Right now we are just using big towels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWu44gsUq6w
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
lyle-she looks like my weim! who is also very smart..i've quit putting his fish oil caps in the food and just stick it on my finger with a bit of peanut butter..it's not even worth the game anymore!! Upload
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
i know someone who just got a silver lab..they are actually very similar to a Blue Weimaraner..same coloring..i think they're beautiful!!