Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                04-07-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
My girlfriend (bless her heart ), is driving me batty!! She is nursing a broken r/collarbone and can't use one arm for a while, for fear of breaking it again....but...she is going stir crazy, just driving. She's never been up on a wakeboard or surfboard, but would be L/foot forward.

Can you give any suggestions on adjustments/positioning/mods, if any, that worked for you when you learned, and how you like the driver to pull, Etc?

Thanks...---JOE---
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-09-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, this is Kevin, Lisa's B/f, she doesnt really post online so I am the relay person here.
A couple of questions:
1.Which collar bone is injured(arm she cant use)?
2.Is she regular stance or goofy?
3. She never has ridden a wakeboard before at all?
Answer these and we can go from there.
But be assured it definetly can be done. Lisa and a few others I have seen videos of and pics have ridden 1 armed or just one handed for that fact. So keep a good attitude about it and the possiblities are endless.
Damn I sound like a Hallmark card
Old                04-09-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
Hey Kevin, this is Lucy, Joe's g/f!
A couple of answers:
It's my right collar bone. I'm right handed and can't use that arm yet!
I've tried to get up once before, but it was over a year ago. I'm not quite sure which stance I have. But if I had to guess I would say regular (if its right foot forward). I'm so excited to get some pointers!!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-09-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
ok. lets see. I would check the stance thing first. Joe said possibly left foot forward, and your saying right foot forward. Do you know the quick test for stance. Stand stright up looking straight ahead, close you eyes, and have someone push you from behind. Which foot goes forward?
Generally speaking that will be your stance.
If its your right arm that you cant use, hopfully your l.f. foward. That will prevent you from having to ride cross body. If your goofy. r.f.foward, then you will have to ride cross body, which can be done, just requires a little more arm strength and practice. When starting out from a deep water start, I generally pull Lisa slow in the beginning from the hole shot and that way she can get the board positioned easier and pointing in the direction she needs to. The start is generally the same , but just slower that way the rope doesnt pull extremely hard or fast. How is your arm strength? Lisa kinda gets tired fast, and thats because she doesnt really work out her good arm enought to build up the strength to ride a long time. Riding one arm is pretty much the same as two, just a little harder to ride switch.
(Lisa is working on that every time we go out riding) Joe can give you some pointers since I can tell he can ride, just remember that its all abalance and body positioning. Same as when riding two armed. Ok. my fingers are tired from typing for now. I am sure there is alot more I can suggest, but I can type more later.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-09-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
check this link out..
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/206425.html?1106094625
Definetly check out the video clip of the guy up north..

(Message edited by big x-star on April 09, 2005)
Old                04-12-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
Kevin--I think Lucy is gonna send you an email...Just wanted to thank you and Lisa for the input too..