Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-06-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
Ordered my Droid X last week and its back ordered until next week... the wait is killing me! I'm coming from BB and wondering if you guys could recommend some must have apps. I am completely a noob when it comes to android so any tips would also be helpful!
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-06-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
I run Lookout. It checks every app you download for virus. Also backs up all the data you would want onto a secure website. Call history, Contacts, Photos. Can even locate your phone from the site if it is stolen or lost. Will give you exact address.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-07-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
AppBrain is pretty cool. It allows you to browse the Market on your computer and then send it to your phone to download the app. Makes browsing much easier.

For a time killer, once Angry Birds is fully released, it's a must. Only the BETA is available right now, should be soon though.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-07-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Angry Birds - Beta
Guage Battery Widget
Google Sky
Handscent (SMS and MMS reader)
Barcode Scanner
ShopSavvy

And what Parker and Nick said. You are going to like Android. There is a learning curve but just be patient and you will get the hang of things. I have an HTC Evo from Sprint and really, really like the OS. I am caming over from Windows Mobile.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-08-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the recommendations. I've been reading a few of the droid forums and researching and most of the WW picks seem awesome. I got an email today and my new toy shipped early! So stoked it will be here Friday!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
I like Air Control for an addictive game.

I downloaded SkyFire for my browser. It actually can play Flash videos.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
K-9 Mail
SportsTap
PayPal
gStrings if you play guitar
Vlingo Voice (voice to text)
Aldiko (online books)
Ebay and Craigslist apps are awesome too
Last but not least... the Fart board!

DroidX is the best phone I've ever had. If 2.2 kicks a couple little issues like playing flash and opening certain pdf files, I'll be set.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-09-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
What cases are you guys using?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-11-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Once they find a way to root it, you can wireless tether, which is free. I paid $15/month for that on my blackberry.

Beautiful Widget is a good app for desktop weather and time.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-13-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
If you went with the Incredible I could show how to run the hotspot without the additional monthly fee. If anyone is interested in how to do it on their Incredible PM me and I will send you the instructions. I have not figured the X out yet.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-13-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
2.1 was rooted a long time ago and the leaked 2.2 is rooted as well. If you are interested in rooting, Jessica, I would read the "all things root" section of this forum . There are simple programs you can download that will root 2.1 with one click. How this will effect the soon-to-come update to 2.2 is not known, but most likely, you will just be stripped of root as long as you don't delete any programs that come loaded on your phone.

I ordered a cheap one off ebay that is supposed to be very similar to the rocketfish case and will post when I get it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
I've got a friend that has a leaked version of 2.2 for his X and its blazing fast as proven by Quadrant. I have an OG Droid and run it rooted with cyanogen for a ROM with 2.2 which allows it to be rooted and stay 2.2 so I can use setCPU to boost it to 800MHZ and I can wireless tether for free. When I run quadrant I'm just a tad slower than a Droid X running 2.1.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
You guys are killing me. Now that Verizon has the Fascinate (Samsung Galaxy S) and the Droid X, I want to hurry up and drop my 3G and ATnT off a cliff and jump ship. Need to wait in the process of getting new house.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
The Samsungs aren't that fast, my phone over clocked is faster and I'm at 800mhz while they a 1 gig processor. They are the best looking though both in picture quality and asthetically as well.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
I'll end up getting a Win7 via work too. Really want to try the Android OS for a bit and get off of ATnT. I mostly surf, Facebook and email on my iPhone. So requirements for performance are pretty light. The screen quality of the Samsung's are super nice, would like to play with one outside and see how it does in direct sun.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-14-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
So far I am super happy with the X. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Trying to decide if I am ready to root or not
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-14-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
I understand that rooting will void my warranty... anybody know if you unroot will you be able to tell it was rooted? Thats the ONLY thing holding me back at this point.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Yes, there will be a "super user" icon in the program menu.

IMO, if you are not going to utilize the full potential of the phone, there is no need to root the phone. If you are trying to circumvent the carrier by going around their safety measures to ensure that you aren't capabile of doing something without paying for that service, then that is up to you and the reason why carriers will not warranty the device. There are plenty of applications out there that will help you do what you could do while rooted.

I am a computer programmer and I don't have my Evo rooted. I have wanted to do it a few times lately but found other ways of doing things without rooting. $.02
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-15-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm not looking to tether without paying and overclocking probably isn't necessary for me with the X as fast as it is. There are a few things I would like to do however that I can only find apps for rooted phones. I'll probably hold off for now. Thanks!
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-15-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Anyone have the droid Eris and have problems with the headphone volume. I just bought some kicker head phones. When I plug up to a computer or ipod they rock but on my Eris I can't here them in a public place like school or gym because they volume won't go any higher yet I know headphones are capable.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post
Anyone have the droid Eris and have problems with the headphone volume. I just bought some kicker head phones. When I plug up to a computer or ipod they rock but on my Eris I can't here them in a public place like school or gym because they volume won't go any higher yet I know headphones are capable.
Look at this website: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-e...eally-low.html

Is this issue specific with those headphones or does all the other headphone have the same issue. If the later is true, you might have a faulty jack and if the first it only true, IMO contact Kicker and see what they have to offer.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
just ordered my X today! Can't wait to get it in the mail. Switching from iphone to droid....hope I don't regret my decision
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Welcome to Android Chris! I don't think you will regret it
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
I hoping not! Any news on the otterbox?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
This is probably one of the biggest reason to not root your phone. Nothing against rooting, heck I have even done it. But there is always issues that can or will arise.

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ted-clear-text
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
So finally got my droid but now I'm having problems with the wireless internet working in my house. It shows a "good" connection but will not connect to the internet. It also does this at work and a few other places. Ironically it will work at the verizon store! Has anybody else had this issue?

Chris
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
which droid? There is already 5 of them out there.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
its the droid x
Old     (athleticmale)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-25-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Just got mine last monday, so far I really don't like it much at all. A few fun apps but the functionality and ease of use of the phone is horrible compared to my samsung.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
So just spent close to an hour on the phone with verizon tech support and I have a new X coming my way next week because my "new" X will not connect to my wifi
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I understand that rooting will void my warranty... anybody know if you unroot will you be able to tell it was rooted? Thats the ONLY thing holding me back at this point.
I have a rooted HTC Incredible with the ThirdWave custom rom, and S-off. and I can unroot it back to completely stock, ROM, S-on and everything. I don't know if the droid X can be unrooted yet though. I don't think they've even figured out how to root for it yet. not sure though since i just use unrevoked.com, which is for htc phones only. Just keep your eyes open for word on if it can be unrooted. google "droid x unroot back to stock" or something like that. I'm sure it can be found.

Word of advice, if you unroot your phone, hardboot it once its done and make sure it says "S-ON" at the top of the recovery menu. if it say's S-off, they'll know you rooted it, and bye bye warranty.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
The DX can be rooted and unrooted but the super user icon will still be there so no root for me I'm finding ways to do the things I want without having to root.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Jessica, I just got a Droid 2 yesterday. After doing some research it sounds like you can tether using pdanet. It cost $15 or $16 but that is a one time fee. From what I can tell it doesn't require you to unroot your phone. I am still trying to figure out what in the hell is going on with my phone. There is just so much more to it then the Blackberry.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-30-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
PDAnet has a free version, it has some restrictions on sites you can visit but it should fulfill most needs.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-30-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Jessica, I just got a Droid 2 yesterday. After doing some research it sounds like you can tether using pdanet. It cost $15 or $16 but that is a one time fee. From what I can tell it doesn't require you to unroot your phone. I am still trying to figure out what in the hell is going on with my phone. There is just so much more to it then the Blackberry.
Unroot? She's not rooted in the first place. Is pda net wireless tether or just usb tether? And you'll get used to your phone quickly! Check out androidforums.com, androidcommunity.com, everythingandroid.com, and the xda developers site, you'll learn pretty much EVERYTHING the phone can do. The sites are also great resources if you're looking into rooting your Droid, (D2s are being worked on for root right now, i dont think root is available qute yet.). They even have dedicated forum sections for Android development/rooting.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-30-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
Has anybody had issues with connecting their X to wifi? I've been through two phones and no luck with either one. It shows that its connected but will not pull up the browser...
chris