Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
I was called in to take some Corporate head shots the other day and really didn't have a clue. I researched it and everything I found looked overly complex and I am a KISS type of guy. So, I went with a gray seamless paper background, my AlienBees Ring Flash as the main light (probably not used too much in this setting!!) and then used a dark blue gel on a Canon 580 EXII (on 1/2 power) to light the background just behind the subject's head. I think the results were good and a bit unique. I will post an example later.

What is everyone's lighting set-up for this kind of shoot?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
ghetto light stand.... all of my other light stands were too tall for this set-up. Tacking the seamless paper to the wall is MUCH easier than using the roll and a back ground support system. I only use the back ground support system when shooting full length body shots and those subjects are usually wearing bikinis.

Headshot Set-up2

Headshot Set-up1
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
We are still editing the final images. I will post a couple examples later.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-14-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
We did a green screen background so that way we could change the background to whatever we wanted to. In the end I think it was too much work to Photoshop each individual shot and should have just went with something standard. Dont remember the exact lighting as I did not do the shoot.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-16-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
How did the shoot go? Are you happy with the results?

I've never done head shots before, but it's Interesting that you had the subjects sitting vs. standing. From a setup stand point.. sitting it probably the most convenient, but my first impression is to have the subject stand to make them feel more comfortable.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Here is a typical shot. This is me modeling the set-up but everyone looked similar. We did more "touch up" editing on the chicks. It went well. The hardest part is just getting everyone in to take the pictures.

Corporate Head Shot - Test

I am huge fan of the ring flash in general. I could have used speedlights or my Elinchrom BXRi500 Monolights but was happy with these results.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Sitting versus standing I don't know... It is easier shooting standing because you can use a regular light stand versus a ghetto stand. I will probably do standing next time but I guess I am indifferent.