Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Does anyone have one and how well does it work? I was told by the people at perfect pass that it is not good for wakeboarding. Why is this? Are they trying to sell me the expensive one? It will be going on a 1986 2001 nautique.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-25-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
I dont have PP, but I do have the Malibu CC.. I love it ... its easy to use and great for us ( beg/intermediate wb and surf) just set it and go throttle up and back to speed / adjustable up or down at speed
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
Does that help me at all?

BTW, Perfect Pass Cruise is a model of perfect pass cruise control. It is just simple cruise control system with not LED screen.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on July 25, 2006)
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-25-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
PP cruise doesn't have a speed sensor and just relys on engine RPM to hold speed. It should work fine on a stock boat but if you run lots of ballast you'll have trouble getting it to hold speed well.

I'd pay the extra and either get cruise plus which has the speed sensor or get wakeboard pro as its much better.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
Your RPM will fluctuate from day-to-day based on # of people and amount of ballast. There will be no "Set me up at 23 mph."
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-26-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
Boy Leo...you've kinda been short lately....college working you over? The Malibu CC works more like the model you are talking about. I woulf think it is worth the extra money to get the paddlewheel and the readout. Much easier to use than most CC's I have used.

Let me know how it works on the carbed boat...I might like to add one next year to my boat.

Eric
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
I had it on my 454 bb carb and it was better than my wife could do, but I sure do enjoy the PP pro. You won't miss the extra money if you are going to keep the boat.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-26-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
NOT true about Engine RPM based only- I had PP Cruise on my Tige for 4 years- you can set it up for either RPM or paddle wheel- I had the paddle wheel version. You can't switch back and forth like the PP wakeboard pro model. It also doesn't have any digital display and it's not as accurate, but for recreational boarding, it works fine. I replaced mine though with Pro because I was having trouble with the Cruise version after a few years of use. It wasn't locking on sometimes and would blow the fuse every now and then- so I yanked it and Pro has been dead-perfect. Also, if you're thinking of surfing, Cruise will not hold any speed below say, 15 MPH- and we surf at 11.5. For what it's worth....
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Eric, I just didn't know what Malibu CC had to do with Perfect Pass Cruise on a Nautique unless Malibu sells their Cruise control to the public as an aftermarket upgrade?

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on July 26, 2006)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
Leo- The Malibu cruise doesn't apply. The new version of cruise controls are controlled by the "drive by wire" throttle bodies and I think are only available on 06' models. Im assuming your Nauti is carburated ? Im honestly not sure when boats jumped to fuel injection.

(Message edited by iagainsti on July 26, 2006)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I had PP cruise for five years on my last boat. My model ran mph off of a paddle wheel. It didn't have any of the bells and whistles that the Pro has, but it was every bit as accurate at holding speed.

BTW,

I regularly ran 1800 - 2000lbs of ballast in my old boat and it had little to no effect on the consistency.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hmmmm... Website for Perfect Pass says the Cruise is RPM based.

I can tell you that an RPM based control is not sufficient for wakeboarding. At wakeboarding speeds holding a constant RPM will not hold a constant speed. Not even close!

If you are going to install a new one, get the Wakeboard Pro if your emphasis will be on wakeboarding. If you intend to pull slalom skiers through a course that has the magnets in the buoys then you might want the Digital Pro model. It will do everything the Wakeboard Pro will plus a lot more. I had a Digital Pro on my previous boat but I never even unwrapped the slalom specific hardware stuff, and skipped the 100 steps to calibrate it for precision slalom skiing.

If I understand the cruise model it would be a pain in the ass to use for wakeboarding, even if it had the paddle wheel speed control mode. With the Wakeboard Pro you set the desired speed and it stays set, no matter how many times you throttle back to pick up the down rider. And like Craig said, before you start you set it for the speed you want. Much easier than getting up to speed and then engaging it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Change that,

I read the old install guide incorrectly. It does work off of rpm. I will stand by the accuracy of the cruise though, even though I just installed Wakeboard Pro in my new boat.

If people would just quit interupting me at work, I could stay focused on here.

Sorry for the mis information.

(Message edited by SEATTLE on July 27, 2006)

(Message edited by SEATTLE on July 27, 2006)
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-28-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
I have the Wakeboard PP Cruise in my 02 Wakesetter and it uses a paddlewheel.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I don't have Perfect Pass either, but my boat is Red over Black with silver and white vinyl, hope this helps!

Sean
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
The PP Cruis comes either RPM based or Paddle-Wheel (speed). The module under the dash will tell you which - if the writing is red it's RPM based and if it's green it's speed based. The more common one is RPM. I have it on my 01 Wakesetter and it works ok with no ballast in the boat. Once you put the ballast in there you have to wait until you're up on plane before turning it on...2800 rpm's off plane is much slower than 2800 rpm's on plane. And even then, the speed is not very consistent. It would be so much nicer to turn it on, set the speed and just go...so if you've got the extra cash go with the Wakeboard Pro or if you don't make sure to get the paddle wheel version of Cruise.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Ok,

Now I'm really confused. I had to install a paddle wheel on my old boat for the cruise model. I was always under the impression if you had a paddle wheel connection your PP ran off of speed. When I look in my old manual it refers to rpm.

I'm convinced once again that it had to have been a speed based system. If it would have run off of rpm, my boat would have been all over the place considering the weight I ran in it.

MY BRAIN HURTS...
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
If you had a paddle wheel then yours was speed-based. And you're right, with a bunch of weight in the boat your speed would have been all over the place.

Solution - to avoid brain pains install Wakeboard Pro
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I must admit the Wakeboard Pro in my new boat has me a little spoiled.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-29-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
"I must admit the Wakeboard Pro in my new boat has me a little spoiled.".....I'll second that!
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-29-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
We were out today and I was pulling my son and had PP Cruise set at 2475 rpm's which wnem on plane with no weight puts him at about 18 mph. He fell and when I pulled him up again PP kicks in as soon as he's up (not on plane yet). Now he's at about 14 mph for a while until the boat gets up on plane again...it's a real pain in the arse waiting for the speed to be set correctly...
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-29-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hey Leo...

I just upgraded to PP wakeboard pro. I've got the PP Cruise module and the controler(NO CABLES OR SERVO). Hit me up if you want it...its free. Mike
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-29-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Sorry for going off topic but, Leo, hows the project coming? Post some pics.