Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-08-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
so i was on the lake today enjoying the calm water with my friends and i was about to jump out into the water, when a boat roared past me maybe 20ft away from us (there was plenty of water to go around plus there tubing so its not that hard to turn) and i was yelling at them to watch out for my rope but it was to late they ran right over it and cut in half and my handle doesnt float so i lost that too. So i went over to them and told them that they shouldn't drive so close to other boats especially with people about to jump in the water so they gave me all the money they had on there boat $25 to pay for the handle and the rope. So i went and bought a new handle but i think i can save the rope with extentions, anyone know how to fix a cut rope?
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
wow. i really dont like tubers either. that sucks. and no...i dont know how...sorry
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
Damn tubers. Similar event happend to me without the damage. Whole lake was chop, perfect for tubing, where do they decide to ride, the only place that was calm. Well at least you were able to get a few $ out of them. Most would just say sorry, oh well and take off.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
whenever im tubing the driver always seems to go to good water. i always say to stay away. same when im on friend's pwcs....i tell em keep the wakeboarding water for wakeboarders!
Old    tclagggym            07-08-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Ok! They cut your rope in half and you only got $25.00 bucks? You are the nicest guy on the planet. Call me crazy, but am I the only guy on here thinking what goes around comes around!
Old    vanski            07-08-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
Don't fix the rope unless it was cut between the 5' extensions. Tying the rope or trying to fuse it together opens up more problems if it failed. Better to just buy new line, canabalize the bad for 5' extensions, and use the remaining as a tow rope for when you or someone else needs a tow back to the docks.
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-09-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
I had the privilage of seeing this since it was my boat we were on. First they offered us $10 then we explained it was an $80 rope, so they came up with a grand total of $25 between 5-6 people. I suppose it was worth it if they learned something though.

we got a nice warning for not having a properly affixed state park sticker too. what a day. but it was worth it I landed my 1st wake to wake and almost have the fs 180 down.

and mike next time we're going 6 a.m. on a wednesday then we get the whole 2 miles of butter to ourselves :-)
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-09-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
so when do I get to try the new handle????
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
You should have had them give you their tube! lol!
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-10-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
I realize that 20 feet is way to close to pass by another boat on a lake, but regardless, did you have your flag up indicating that you had a rope in the water? Unless we have a rider in the water, we always have the rope in the boat. If you leave your rope in the water on the delta, then you are only asking to have it ran over by another boat.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-10-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
He might not of had a flag up but,I bet he had his finger up though, and that should have been good enough.
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-10-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
didnt have a flag but i was waving my arms and yellin at them
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
i get really mad when tubers ruin good water (and ropes in your case)...i tend to yell and curse at them just a tad...but seriosuly....they have the whole lake. u dont need smooth water to tube. but they have to ruin the only smooth place.
Old    wingnut337            07-13-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Pretty much what MarshallKay said. I like tubing along with wakeboarding but they need to tube in the rougher open areas not in the calm spots where people are wakeboarding.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
I heard a story about a tuber getting chalked up and dying because his idiot driver slung him into a dock. In your case the boat was twenty feet away, pulling a tuber on a 80-100 ft rope. Could you imagine watching as someone got delivered to the other end of life on the side of your boat?

I agree with Travis, you should have been tougher on them. Done some real pillaging, "we are after after your drink & women & $25". True justice would have been to request the tube and then popped holes in it in front of them followed by a loud "that's how we roll" with a threatening arm pump.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
I would have used what was left of my rope to strangle everyone on the other boat. That's rediculous. If I'm in an open lake I don't ever expect someone to be within a ropes length of me.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
This raises a question, what's your favorite anti-tuber deterrant?

1) Golf balls
2) Potato Gun
3) Flare gun

(Sorry, just venting):-)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
I like to tube.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Really, the issue is not tubers, it is idoits. I admit that it takes more skill and therefore more experience to wakeboard or ski, and that usually means that skiers and riders have better manners. And I also admit that any idiot with a POS boat and a $80 tube can run around all day ruining the lake. However, it is all about manners and consideration, not tubing. I often take friends (or kids friends) out on my boat and we often tube because either they can not ride, or the lake is crap due to the masses of tourists. I don't run my $55k boat over other peoples ropes or within 20 ft of anyone under way, but I do like to tube with friends, and hate generalizations about tuber/riders/etc.

The problem was the idiot driver, not the tube behind him. Just my opinion.:-)

(Message edited by seanmcd on July 14, 2006)
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
So your rope was laying in the water and you had NO FLAG raised?
Tch tch tch
Regardless of how much more "skill" it takes to ride a wakeboard, don't blame others for thier stupidity when your being just as dumb with no flag.
What do you do when a rider is in the water? Wave your arms like a madman?? I think you owe the tubers $25

Seriously though what we need is education not humiliation. That way we're not all "A_H!!le wakeboarders

just m opinion
Old    wakestyle            07-14-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Wow, that's kind of ironic, because i almost had some other fool not only run my rope over, but could have hit us. He was pulling a boarder, not a tuber. Friggen idiot passed WAAAY too close by us, and of course his idiot kid rider cut out our side and passed easily within bout 8' of my swim step and had the nerve to stare at me like I was eff’ing up. Luckily the line, rider, and board were in... hell, the flag was still up because we were standing on the swim step...Oh man, was I torqued.

Dumbass could have easily killed someone.

I did catch up to him as he was pulling out and if it weren't for his wife and kids standing there I would have clocked him. Instead I calmly advised him that if he ever passed that close to me again I'd embarrass him in front of his wife and kids.

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Thats nothing. I was riding in the bayou and my friend goes for a backroll and falls. I come to a complete stop and then I see this fishing boat go by me at about 30-35mph. He came within 30ft of my boat. I was like "is that really necessary". Next thing that happens is I hear this crunching sound like a car getting crushed. I look back behind me and I see the fishing boat come to a complete stop. I had no idea of what happened because I was looking forward because I was the driver. I finally realized when the guy lifted his outboard engine and I saw my rope stuck in his prop. I was like 'what the hell, are you serious?' The guy went between the stopped boat and the fallen rider and tells me 'I didn't realize there was a rope there.' He even admitted to seeing the wakeboarder fall. So he had to have known that the rope was sitting in the water. But he swore that he had no idea there would be a rope there. I have to tow him in from the damage on his outboard. I call the police to explain the incident. They tell me that the incident had already been reported...BY THE FISHERMAN. I couldn't believe that he had the nerve to report me to the police after he ran over my rope while my boat was at a complete stop with a fallen rider in the water. Oh well.
Old    wblwake            07-15-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
As a tuber and boat driver I always stay away from other people when possible, I look for scarcley used open water on the lake and stay at least 100 plus yards away from anyone when possible, especially wakeboarders, skiers and fishers. Just brings to mind how many complete idiots there are in todays world.