Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    mikep            08-20-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the proper process for wet sanding and buffing out scratches on your boat. I guess there is some special type of compound you should use for this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old    mb_girl            08-20-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Hey Porter,
There's a discussion over on MBO about this right now - I'll take an excerpt of one of the postings:

"You'll need a few pieces of 0000 (4-ought) steel wool, some very high grit sandpaper (1000 to 1200), lower grit sandpaper (200 grit or so), some rubbing compound, 3M Finesse It II Finishing Material, 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax, some rags and towels, and a garden hose.

Wash the boat to clean the areas you need to fix. If the scratches are really deep, wet the coarse sandpaper and sand out the scratches. The color goes all the way down to the fiberglass, so unless you really dig deep, you won't get all the way through the gelcoat. I keep the affected area and the sandpaper really wet, either with a squirt bottle or the garden hose. If the scratch is deep, you might have to start with the coarse sandpaper, and then move to the finer stuff. With the smaller scratches, the fine is sufficient to begin with. Once the scratch is gone, the 0000 steel wool is used (also wet) to smooth out the gelcoat where you've used the sandpaper. (For some light scratches, steel wool is all you need.) Then, use the rubbing compound (following the directions on the bottle) to buff out the micro-scratches left by the steel wool. Wipe the area clean.

Next, apply the 3M Finesse It II finishing material to take care of any remaining scratches left and give it the "wet look". A machine buffer helps a lot, but it's not that hard by hand either. Then, apply the 3M Marine Paste wax per the directions on the bottle."

Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?s=268eff0012b5a45cc925de68e806b45f&act=S T&f=7&t=5262&st=0
Old    swpmwinc            08-20-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
One very important piece of info keep the sand paper clean (rinsed)The gel coat can clog the paper making more scratches. Not a big deal just more to buff out.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-20-2003, 10:35 PM Reply   
Did that same process on the back of my boat and it looked brand new. Works really well. I had a lot scratches from the tail of my board and from fins and now they are all gone.
Old    mb_girl            08-20-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
Looks like I've got my weekend project....