Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-22-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
I was supper bummed out this morning when I found out I had a broken leg. I was up at the Sports LTD contest at Paradise Lakes yesterday. It was my first contest and the guys at Sports LTD put on a great event.

On my first Double up, I hit it heelside and launched into an indy grab. I just came down super hard and the small bone in my leg broke.

I would like to hear your thoughts on different casts that are available. I would like to see if anyone was able to use a removable cast for an injury like this. I have a half cast on now and I have a meeting with the orthopedic doctor tomorrow. I would like to hear how other people treated their injury and how long it took to heal. I am pretty sure it is the same bone that Shaun Murray broke, and I heard he was riding at a pro tour stop about 4 weeks later.

Thanks for the input.

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-22-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Jason, I'm sorry to hear about your leg. I hope you're back on the water as quickly as Murray was. I guess you'll have time to watch all those DVD's I sent you!! :-)
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2003, 5:05 PM Reply   
That really sucks dude, lets hope for a super quick recovery.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-22-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
well, it was a very BIG du jump :-). sorry to hear it's actually a break man. that's crazy. hope you heal up fast.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-22-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
Ouch that sucks man!! Not sure about a cast but my friend snapped his (Compound) and he was back in a few months.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-22-2003, 7:52 PM Reply   
It was really nice to meet you at the comp! Sorry about the injury, hope you have a speedy recovery, Jason!
Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Jason,
Just showed the X-ray to my dad whos an orthopedist.. he recommended that you get your ankle X-rayed. He said that commonly on an impact fracture (like a hard landing on the board), you may also break something in your ankle. I think he said there was some kind of removable cast you could get.. hope you recover quickly,
-Marc
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-22-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Jason. Hope they gave you something good for pain. You will be riding again in 6 weeks. Rest and recover dont rush, and take it easy man.

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
Wow, Jason. Terrible luck. And it had to happen at the start of the summer! Hope you heal quickly and are back on the water soon.
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-22-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
He's a tough kid. He'll be riding as soon as he can. Jason has had the most brutal crashes I've ever seen and he braves cold water like an artic eskimo. You can't stop this dude from charging hard and having fun. Hope you have a speedy recovery bro.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-22-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
I fractured my ankle a few years ago wakeboarding. It was very painful, but I was lucky. It was accompanied by a severe sprain. My doctor didn't put a cast on it, but I had to wear a boot and on crutches for six weeks. The boot was much better because I could take it off at night and while showering. I resprained it about nine months later wakeboarding. It took about a year and a half before I couldn't tell that I ever broke it. It's a bummer, but good luck, take your time and take care of yourself. You'll be back.
Old    akman            06-22-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
Jason, Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope it heals quickly.

Don't worry you can still dance with the stripper at your bachelors party with a bum leg!!!

July 19th is just around the corner!!
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-22-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the support guys. I will let you know what the doctor says tomorrow. The craziest part about the whole thing was that it didn't hurt that bad. I was able to finish out my second pass and hit a backroll off of the Double up. I didn't realize that it might be serious until I started walking on the shore.

I am just hoping I don't have to limp down the isle when I get married in 4 weeks! I also hope I'll be able to scuba dive out in Jamaica at the end of July.

Marc, thanks for the input. I do not have any pain in my ankle, but I will suggest that to the orthopedist.

Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-22-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
jason, really sorry to hear that, that really sucks. good to hear you had fun at the comp though and congrats on the marriage.
i'll talk to you later.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2003, 9:55 PM Reply   
Jason im sure, if you can afford the high dollar sports doctor shaun can, youll be diving in jamaica
Old    mxracer            06-22-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
luckily it was just your fibia, I broke my Tibia doing mx four years ago. They can use a half cast and use just a full leg brace that you can take on and off. Also, they can make a split cast. This is where the front slips off and you can use ace bandage wrap or double sided velcro to hold it together. This way you can take it off to bathe etc. Yet another way is to get a full plastic(ish) and foam split cast molded to your leg. Very expensive but well worth it because you can get it wet without any worries. You'll definately be ok for your wedding. You learn a lot when you get 16 fractures racing motocross :P Good luck with the recovery
Old    cheezegritz            06-22-2003, 11:13 PM Reply   
ya know what was cool, is my friend is friends w/ Murray, and he saw him brake his leg. My friend and Murray were doing a little tour w/ some other people like emily copeland, gerry nunn, rob struharik, and others spreading the word about God. He told me about this break. I saw it on video too. Its greusome.

(Message edited by cheezegritz on June 22, 2003)
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Get well soon.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
I had the exact same thing happen in college and it was broken all the way across. I wore an air brace and was back snow skiing in about 2 months. Hasn't really bothered me since. Just stay off it for a while and let it heal first.
Old     (vlxwakerider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
Jason- This was the first I have seen you ride. You got all of that double up!!! We hope you heal quick. It's probably a good thing you didn't go for the slider as well. Hope to see you on the water soon. Steve @ Sports LTD
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-23-2003, 6:03 PM Reply   
Thanks Steve, had a great time. I can't wait for the next one.

I just got back from the doctor with some great news. He took my half cast off and said that a cast wasn't necessary. He sent me on my way and told me to use my crutches if it hurts to walk with out them. He said that it should be fine in 4 weeks, and I could be on the water in 6 weeks.

Marc, the doctor had the same concern that your dad did. He checked my ankle and knee because he thought that the impact might have affected either of those two areas. He found nothing wrong with either area.

The funniest thing is that he dosen't believe how it happened. I explained that it was caused by the impact of the water. He thinks that something must have hit my leg from the side to break it like that. Either way, I am stoked that I will be back on the water by August.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-23-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
Good to hear the optomistic news, Jason! Two words: Got milk?
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       06-24-2003, 12:06 AM Reply   
Jason:
Dude...how crazy is that! I can't believe that happened. I thought I was the one supposed to "break a leg"?

Well, at least when I get back at the end of august, I'll know that there will be at least one other person that'll be jonesin' to ride as much as me. But, if Castaic is closed, where are we gonna ride?

Hope you recover soon Bro! That X-ray is Gnarly...take it easy on that leg. It seems weird to me that they say you don't need a cast? But what do I know?

BTW...how did you do in the contest?

I wish you the best bro! See you in a couple of months!

Dan
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
jason,
i broke the same bone a couple of months ago and i had to wear a cast for 6 monts. the fracture was much lower, pretty close to the ankle. you ll be back after 6 weeks.
its kind of funny that i have a broken finger and a broken knucke right now, and just came out of x rays yesterday. i feel very familiar with x rays now... anyway, hope you get better soon. i ll be out of order for 2 weeks, got lucky this time. i just wanted you to know im going through the same thing.
Old    jdr            06-24-2003, 11:28 PM Reply   
Jason, glad you got good news from the ortho, not to rain on your parade, but did you get a second opinion? Let me tell you why I ask, 3 years ago I broke the same bone, but lower, closer to the ankle. It was a similar looking break as yours, being it was down at an angle and slightly separated. My ortho felt I was better off putting two small screws in there to help it heal. I was 6 weeks on crutches, two weeks on walking cast, basically out for the summer. I broke my leg the last week end in June and had the screws put in three days later. I was totally out of a cast first the week of September, walked with a cane for about two days, after that was fine. In November, I had to go back in to get the screws out. Recovery for that was about two days. However, I have not had ANY problems since then.

Imagine if you would, you have a wooden table leg that was broken like that. Since it's at an angle and separated, you couldn't just put glue in there and let it dry, the two pieces would slide apart. You would have to put something in the leg to hold the two pieces together while the glue dries, like a screw or wrap tape around it. Now, granted, wooden legs don't grow/heal like human bones, but it's a similar concept. You got to have something holding the two bones together while your leg heals.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
Jason
While Shaun did break the same bone, I never saw the Xray (to compare). Yours looks like a pretty good (bad) break. Shaun was in a removeable cast and I would get on him because I thought he was out of it entirely too much (but that's dad talking). Anyway - he passed on the Masters and did ride at Detroit. He was actually riding almost 10 days before that (but very easy). I think it was around 5 weeks to "Start" (easy riding). Frankly, I was really concerned that he was pushing it too hard at Detroit (on Saturday when he won his heat) and I wasn't disappointed to see him get knocked out of the semi-finals. I know that in the weeks that have followed the pain comes and goes (after riding). I'd go easy if I were you.
Lloyd
Old    lara            06-25-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
Jason, sorry to hear about your broken leg. Although it sounds like you were lucky and that it could've been much worse. Have fun at the big day and in Jamaica!
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Bummer! BUT, I'm glad to hear that you'll be back out there in no time. Take it easy for a while, let yourself heal fully and then have at it!:-)
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-25-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Jason, you continue to impress the heck out of me. You finished your second pass????!!!! Your a fricken nut! Drink lots of milk and heal quick man.
PS you can still drive with a cast.
Joe
Old     (geoff_l)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Jason, sorry to hear about that, although I'm glad to hear it won't keep you out of commission for too long. Now I'm wishing I broke my leg instead of my current injury . Actually, I'm allowed to start wakeskating again! I might even start wakeboarding soon if I can get over the mental fear.

Have a great wedding and even better honeymoon.
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
Jason,

I just broke the same bone in Feb 2003. I totally recommend to have surgery because it repairs the bone so much quickly. I happened to shatter 3 inches ofmy fibula by my ankle during a Ice Hockey Tournament. After surgery, i was wakeskaing after 5 weeks but I could not wakeboard due to the atrafie (sp). I finally was able to wakeboard last weekend at Bullards Bar, so it will take ahile.

Good luck healing and remeber to pop thoe viacatins

Brian
Old    tommyracer73            06-25-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I broke the same bone skiing in Jan this year.. more of a twist than a clean break. You could hardly see the fracture...

The bone healed in no time, but the twist damage to the knee membranes anf ligaments must have been pretty bad. Didnt get it checked out by the ortho properly and it is still playing up.. Its usually ok, but I just fell about an hour ago wakeboarding and gave it a slight twist and now its wrecking... But it will get better again..

Go see an ortho if there are any knee/ankle things going on.. .I wish I did...

The break itself hasnt hurt/played up for months now.. but it was only slight as I say...

Tom...
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-26-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
Jason
I just talked to Shaun last night. He hurt his (Previously borken)leg two days ago and may not ride in Portland this weekend. So, go slow......... a few more weeks won't kill you and it may make a huge difference in outcome (I know you don't want to hear that).
Good luck.
Lloyd
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2003, 12:28 AM Reply   
Jason,

Just got back in town. Chris S. gave me a link to this thread. I told you that the wake would be a little bigger then mine. I still want to know how your passes went and what you threw and how you finished. Hope you heal soon, but don't push it. I think what you need, (if the wife will approve) is a trip to the Delta. When Noonan gets back in town, and you're all healed and back from the Honeymoon, I'll drive us up for 3-5 days.

I did plenty of diving with a broken ankle in Hawaii a couple of years ago. I only used one fin and it worked out OK.