Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-30-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
I've looked at testemonials at www.thewakeboardcamp.com but they don't have e-mails and my parents want to talk to people who went there. Preferably people around 12-15.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-30-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
thats www.wakeboardcamp.com
Old    disbemrj            10-31-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
Rebecca,
I have been twice and I think I still have a testimonial posted. I am a 42 year father of four.
shoot me an email: jkjarman@pacbell.net
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-31-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanks a bunch:-D
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-01-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
I went there too... as a female, I might be able to offer your parents some insight as to what it's like for us girls :-) You can get ahold of me at lfwaketiger@aol.com
Old    sarrah            11-01-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
my dad was easily purswayed by just talking to kyle...why dont you have your dad call them up...
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-02-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
check out www.theboardingschool.com, with Shaun Murray and Travis Moye as well before you make a decision, I went there a few weeks ago, my e-mail is medacrazychic@aol.com
Old    j_nads            11-02-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yea, you should definately check out some other camps before you make a final decision on where you want to learn. Check out www.ridethespot.net for rates and dates. Remember there is nothing better than world class coaching and accommodations. If you have any questions contact the info on the website.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
ridethespot costs more
Old    wakeboardputz            11-04-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
wakeboard camp is all fun & games. if that is what you want, go there. if you want serious training go to the boarding school or ride the spot. it is one on one.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2003, 7:24 PM Reply   
Maybe when I'm older. Right now I'm 12 and don't make a lot of money. I'm not sure I can ever make the money for the wakeboard camp even.
Old    ampedmotodiva            11-06-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
hey rebecca - my boyfriend, arun, and i attended the wakeboard camp last february, and we had a great time and learned so much. we also wrote an article and produced a short video from our trip. check it out at http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2003/Progression.asp

if you need more info, email me at arisgirl78@hotmail.com">parisgirl78@hotmail.com

anne-michelle
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-07-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
Check out the projects before heading to the wakeboard camp. the website is www.theprojectspark.com You get the most riding time for you money, you take as many sets a day as you want and you get to ride 6-7 days while your there depending on when you get there. The wakeboard camp you only get to ride 5 days and 2-3 sets per day. I have been to both camps and both are awesome and you will learn a lot but I had more fun at the projects, a lot more riding time, and it was cheaper. Good luck and like I said both places are a blast!
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-09-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-09-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
I saw the projects. I'm not sure witch one to go to. I'm not even sure if I'll be ALLOWED to go to either one. The projects web didn't have too much info so i'm pushing for the wakeboard camp
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-09-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
AM, nice write-up and video. I agree with you about Kyle and Kurt. The were great! Kyle was coach scientist and Kurt was coach ra-ra. Glen was also there when I was there - I think he has his own camp now - he was coach go-for-it. Honestly, PJ was the weakest coach - perhaps too stressed being the boss man - neat guy though.
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-10-2003, 5:37 AM Reply   
The projects site it temp while they are working on the main one right now. The site right now is pretty weak. I would rather go to the projects then wakeboard camp any day of the week altough both are excellent. If you are interested in meeting pros then go to the projects for sure. When I was at the projects for a week this past summer I ate dinner with Shane Bonifay and Colin Harrington, Chris Law stoped by a couple on times and came and rode behind the boat. Shawn Watson and Ike came by. Scott Byerly was there most of the week teaching and hanging out. Chade Sharpe was also there.
Old    1lowe            11-10-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
Rebecca, I'm in the same situation as you...I can't deside between Project or the Wakeboard Camp. The wakeboard Camp looks a lot nicer, but I think you will meet a lot more pros at the projects and probably improve more, as people have said earlier.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-10-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
I have a lot of time to decide and so far the wakeboard camp looks good because of the testimonials. I'm a wakeskater and Aaron reed isn't very far behind from brian grubb. Of course I'm interested in learning at this point and the wakeboard camp seems very thought out, and yet I'm not sure.
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-10-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Brandon Thomas is a full time coach at the projects and he beat Aaron Reed on the pro wakeskate tour. Brandon got 3rd overall on the wakeskate tour. I think Aaron got 4th or 5th. Brandon had a cover shoot recently on Allanice. Also Ryan Doyle lives their full time and he has a wakeskate cover shoot on Wakeboarder Mag. The projects is nice actually they have carpet in the bedrooms and nicer beds. The wakeboard camp has cement floors. Personally I think Aaron Reed is kinda cocky and isn't that cool. Some of the other wakeboard camp coaches are a little cocky. I know I sound a little one sided towards the projects but both places are nice and you will have a fun time. Also the max amount of students at the projects is 5 while wakeboard camp can have upwards of 20-25 people at a time. At night you go out to movies and other places while at the projects and at the wakeboard camp you can’t leave the camp unless you are 18 and have a ride. Also, projects have X-Box live and tons of games because Byerly partly owns the projects and is sponsored by Microsoft. So you will always have something to do while you are there. Project Pat builds sliders everywhere so you know they will be good. He has sliders at the protour, red bull depth challenge, and at the lake Hyperlite owns in Washington that was in one of the mags recently. So you know the projects sliders are top of the line, safe, and fun.

(Message edited by habersham on November 10, 2003)
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-10-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
So the projects has people like around my age there?
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-10-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm not so conserned about how the coaches act but I want to know who has the better instruction. I'm hoping TWC is better because if I choose to go again it will cost less. I want to choose the best camp before I go because I work hard for my money.
Old    benhanisch            11-10-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
How old are you? The projects is only $1000 a week. I think twc is more. I have also been to the projects. It is the experience of a life time.

(Message edited by benhanisch on November 10, 2003)
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-11-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
I'm twelve and twc and projects cost same except second week twc the price goes down then next week there down again
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-11-2003, 7:06 PM Reply   
Are you sure they are the same price? I thought twc is more then $1000 that the projects is. Also don't forget you get an extra day or two of unlimited riding at the projects. TWC is only 2-3 sets per day projects is unlimited.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
TWC advertises that they don't have you ride unlimited because it makes you tired. I don't know if there right or not, but it sounds like they know what there doing.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
Now I know that I am going to a wakeboard camp because I'm not going to go to the camp I used to go to this year. Now I have to compare the camps buy price. I can have 4 maybe 5 weeks at the wakeboard camp and 3 at the projects. Because of that it looks like it will be the wakeboard camp, but if anybody thinks I can learn more at the projects with the amounts of time listed I'd like to know. Keep in mind that I am a begginer so I'd need begginer instruction.
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
You shouldn't take the 3 weeks all at one time. You will be sooo tired. You wont make it all the way throughthe 3 weeks because its not like riding at home. Your pushing youself at camps wayyyy more than you do riding at home. If your loooking to wakeskate i still suggest you check out all the camps and what they have to offer as far as wakeskating goes. The projects may be well worth the extra cash. Shaun Murray wakeskated quite a bit when I was at the boarding school. He also has the gate, and one of the new fiberglass wakeskates if you want to use them. 2 sperated weeks of quility instruction and riding will be worth way more in the longrun than 3-4 weeks of riding when your worn out halfway through. Take a few weeks of a break inbetween. You will want to go home and work on what you've learned before you go back. You may not even fully comprenhend a concept until you practice it at home. Limited riding sucks if you are knowlegable to know your own limits. If not its great. If you have any questions feel free to ask i've been to 2 different camps this summer.
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-13-2003, 6:31 AM Reply   
Pat gives discounts at the projects for mulitple weeks. Call him up and see on the price.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-13-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks
Old    crash_and_burn            11-14-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
My son, (he's 10)and I went to TWC in May of this year. They were great. Sara made him a cake for his birthday. (Thanks again Sara.) I do know 1 thing for sure, I would not go for 5 days. The learning curve gave out at about day 3. For sure I would do a 3 day thing and hit OWC for a half. Kyle and Ben were the star attraction for the teaching. They really helped my son. Aaron Reed was way cool for a skateboard geek turned waterboard boy. Sometimes the guy who finishes 1 isn't the best teacher. Anyway, PJ should have his restruant done by now and that should be entertaing. I would give them a 5 star for teaching, accomadations, and friendliness. I will go again.. But,,,, I think I would try going somewhere else this next time, maybe Murry's place,, only just for the thing of going somewhere different. Bottom line though, the teching there at TWC is really good
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-14-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Jennifer & Tom. I go to TWC a couple times a year. Kyle is absolutely the best coach out there. I usually have a limited amount of time, so I try to visit a day or two at TWC and I can usually just show up on Thursday and get a ride because the students are either too tired, or banged up by then. I did a week there once and I'm in excellent shape. I usually ride 3-4 days a week during season. Although I made it through the week, I wasn't nearly as motivated by Thursday and most everyone else was dragging a$$ too. Spend a week there at a time not 3. Make sure you get someone to take you to OWC a few times and work on your switch riding. I'm heading to Otown tomorrow and hope to check out Murray's new place. I was surprised at how well he is at instruction when I rode behind his boat on his new board and bindings at the BYT. Just because you are a top notch rider, does not mean that you make a good coach. But in Shaun's case I think he will excel as a coach. He's personable, patient, and wow does he have mad skills!! Have fun and GO BIG.
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-14-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
Jim, Shaun and Travis used alot of different teaching tactis. He rode doubles with each of us a few times. It rocked. There is no better way to learn it than to have somone 3 ft away from you showing you the exact positioning. He also threw huge raleys over my head. Best weeek of my life .

If you ride at least 3 days a week you should be okay for the week. the first time I went to Fl, I didnt get any riding in the two weeks before and I was dead halfway through the week. The second time I went I was more prepered and lasted the whole week no prob.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-23-2003, 11:18 PM Reply   
I have never participated in the camp only watched and was there with a friend who is now 16 and is sponsored by CWB and rides for their regional team. Definitley an excellent profitable experience if you are a serious rider trying to improve your abilities and techniques.
Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-30-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
hey i am goin to florida for christmas and i found the orland watersports complex and i am thinking bout goin and ne infomation sum1 has would be awsome
thanks
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-05-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all of the imput, I only expected one or two posts and now I'm going for two weeks in the summer! Yay!