Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
whatever happend to him, top rider in his time.

anyone know. he cant be that old.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
I think he's a pilot now, so I hear. But he RIPPED!!!
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
He destroyed his ankle in a motorcycle accident. He was one of the first people to do a big worm, which is of interest to me because I learned the trick after reading an interview with him. He did some sick moby dicks and whirly fives as well. Later, BCP Mike
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I asked this same question months ago. He was a Liquid Force rider in like 1999 or 2000. I personally thought he was one of the better riders at the time, he could stick everything.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-16-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
i thought he worked at the skydive place in orlando?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-16-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
no..he is a professional golfer now...i play and practice with him all the time in orlando! i'm going to keep the course name private...

(Message edited by pittsy on August 16, 2006)
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-16-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
no no no
he's teaching underwater basket weaving at my college..
joking
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-16-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
i heard he picked up extreme ironing....for those of you not in the know here is a link for you.
http://www.extremeironing.com
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-16-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
He graduated with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from CU (boulder). He was a stunt pilot as I recall. He was a good rider, very tech.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 1:50 AM Reply   
What about Dean Lavelle? He still ride?
http://www.wakeboard-school.com/
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Matt,

If that's the case, ask him to logon and post a response to this thread. a lot of us would like to know the actual story.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=1008984
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-17-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
oh man, that is a blast from the past... remember wiley's, intensity, and Rainbow?
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
How about Bones, Ryan Seibring, Shannon Best, Sub Rosa's XTC, Cabral and NBN...?
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-17-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
shannon best is a kiteboarder
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 12:16 AM Reply   
About Ryan Siebring -http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=lostkgb78-users
and
www.purekauai.com
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 12:26 AM Reply   
Yeah! Shannon Best - is a kiteboarder, but tricks & style - still wakeboabings... Look -
http://www.kiteflix.com/shannon1.html
Old    xtremebordgurl            08-18-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
Dean Lavelle still rips! He's a great coach too.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
yep, dean is still around coaching in south florida, i saw shannon best at rixen last year, and actually i saw jeremy kovak at dean's..."why would i grab the board if it is already attached to my feet"
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
MJW,
Actually Shannon Best started out as a wakeboarder on the cable- Go WAY back into the video collection and pop in Spray- You'll see him tearing it on a cable (many of you have probably never seen Spray...) He also ripped behind a boat. He had some sick sequences in WBM behind both the boat and cable... He may be kiteboarding now but if we're talking about blasts from the past you can check back and see that he was a wakeboarder first...
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
What about Tara Hamilton?? She was kinda the Darin Shapiro of female riders, where is she now? And why did everyone speak so poorly of her back then?

Sean
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
It seems like some people didn't like Tara because she dominated woman's wakeboarding for a long time. These are probably the same people that don't like Dallas Friday for the same reason. When you're on top, there are some people who aren't going to route for you no matter what just because they like to see people on top fail.

I'm sure it went deaper than this but I think this was part of it.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-18-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
Nathan I didn't think anyone else knew about extreme ironing, I'm thinking about dropping all other sports so I can get into extreme ironing, it's supposed to kick ass!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Eubanks, true... Another part of it had nothing to do with Tara, it was simply because she was from West Palm and affiliated with Darin. At that time, there was animosity between some of the core Orlando crew, (some of whom would form the "new crew," others would move out to Picket and form that crew, then later Gator boards, The Projects, etc.) versus the West Palm crew (Darin, Best, others). Anyway, some of the Orlando guys liked to talk smack about Darin and at that time he was not respected for his style, so then Tara was perceived as being in with Darin. I met her and did some work with her during that time and found her to be rather shy, quiet and humble. I never heard her talk badly about anybody, just let her riding speak for itself, but unfortunately many of the girls on tour were catty and did what catty girls do. Most of those girls now are gone from the scene. I was really stoked for Tara when she staged a sort of "comeback," I believe summer before last, and made the podium a number of times.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
And yes, Tara was the "Dallas" of her era. Most days nobody could touch her in a competition format. It wasn't until Emily came on the scene a few years later that somebody could really provide Tara with some consistent competition.

(Message edited by dococ on August 18, 2006)
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-18-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
OK, how about Jamie Necrasson? Greg's sister I think, I thought she was pretty cute. Got to be married now . . .
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-18-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Eubanks, so did she ditch the comeback bid. What is she doing now.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
So really...where is Brannon? He just flat ass ripped.
I heard he taco'd his ankle too.

What about Mike Weddington, I took a day lesson from him about 5 years ago....Adam Fields drove the boat, what a little ripper...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Haven't heard from Jaime in a while, but she was a good student, and even when she was on tour, she appeared conflicted whether to really go for it in the wakeboarding industry versus focus more on the studies and go that path. With Gregg, it was much more obvious what he wanted to do. It is very unusual to do both school and pro wakeboarding at the same time and do them both well. Brannon J. pulled it off as well as anybody, which is how this thread got started in a sense.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
What happened to Mike Weddington? He had some style back in the day.