Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Those of you that have tried different brands. Can you give me your opinion on which wakesurf rope you like best and why. This will help in my decision, as wakeboard line isnt working even with gloves on.
Thanks
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Straight line! Overtons have them for around $30.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
I bought the one of this website.(www.lakeboard.com) It has a small "T" handle and the rope adjusts to go longer or shorter. I originally bought the braided rope with no handle and it was really hard to hold onto plus it felt like I was getting rope burns. Anyway www.lakeboard.com. They have a killer one.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old    surfdad            07-18-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey John when you recommended that rope to me, I think I got the last one!!!! Shoreline informed me that they won't be getting any more for the season. Liquid Force makes one that is almost identical:

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p40497913-k24-g4-~liquid+force+rope-nover?sourceid=13

Best rope in my opinion. Little ones can get their hands around the handle easier. Big Guys aren't trying to jam their hands in a little tiny handle and no rope burns as is possible on the BIG ROPE NO HANDLE deal. PLUS, all the safety of a wakesurf specific rope.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. I was thinking about picking up another one..Just in case.
J$
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-19-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Jeff, the link you gave me doesnt lead me to the rope. I do get options to choose from the lf ropes search but then the site only shows wakeboard ropes. Sorry if you could sned a link to one that would be great, if not, i search around to see who carries LF surf rope.
Old    surfdad            07-19-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
It's there, just at the very bottom - says '06 wakesurf rope. You're not seeing the orange coiled rope with T-handle?
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-19-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Alright, I'm dumb. My only excuse is that I didnt scroll down all the way and was clicking on the first link. :-)
Old    surfdad            07-19-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
No worries. :-)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
We've had a couple scary moments related to the handle over the years, so a couple seasons ago I just cut the handle itself off of an old braided ski handle I had. We call it the caterpillar. You just grab the thick spiral braided part. Works great for just about everyone. It also drags really well, doesn't flop around, so it's easy to pick up if you do transfers over the roost to the other side.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
I still prefer this small T handle. If you have very small ones that you are teaching, their little hands have difficulty getting around the larger section of mainline OR the knotted wakespecific ropes. When they fall or don't get pulled up, they can get a rope burn...not a HUGE risk, but the T-handle, IMO eliminates THAT risk, as well as the risk of getting caught in the bigger open wakeboard handle.

There is also a small triangle opening handle that I don't like. I have folks, like Dennis who is a big guy at 6'2" and they have difficulty squeezing both hands into the small triangle opening. This small T-handle really seems to allow everyone (both small and large) to grab the handle, the dowel is small enough for little hands to grab and big guys hands can extend out the sides. There isn't any risk of little hands sliding down the rope and you can't really get caught in the dowel.

This T-handle, as John Boy opines, is my favorite too.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
One of the scary moments was a regular wake handle getting yanked violently thru a female friend's armpit, causing SERIOUS bruising. I don't like any hard objects on the end of the rope.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
...but I do like the T handle idea, if the person literally cannot hold on to the braid. I've only had a couple cases where we had to use a regular handle to get someone up, but they were tired, and not exactly athletic people to begin with. I don't usually have kids on the boat (yet).
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-21-2006, 3:57 AM Reply   
I have both the braided rope and the T-handle.

Love the T-handle.

It seems that the heavier one is, the harder it is to use the braided rope.

My wife can hold on and get pulled up easily, I can occassionally (with hurting my fingers), and my big weight lifting brother in law has never been able to successfully use it.

I'm donating that braided one to be raffled off at the next Moomba Jamboree.
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
Anyone know where else I can order the LF T handle. It's on backorder from rdcshop.com right now and wondering who else carries them that might have some existing in stock.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Paola,

The one we had on my boat the other day (orange one) is the LF rope. I also have a smaller one that is a similar style, although I don't remember the brand. I picked my LF line up at Wakesports Unlimited, on Clairemont Mesa Bl. (858) 277-5757. Not sure if they are still in stock.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
I just got the LF t handle from buywake.com...
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I've ordered the LF t-handle from 3 diff online companies and gotten a call from each co the next day saying they're out of stock and dont expect anymore for awhile
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
This is a different brand but appears to be similar. Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for or not, but here's the link....
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HELIUM-NEVIN-WAKESURF-HANDLE-MAINLINE_W0QQitemZ200013071984QQihZ010QQcategoryZ7 4048QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link. I just broke down and bought a SL mini handle like the Nevin you posted. I really wanted the T-handle but oh well.
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
yeah, i called buywake and unlimited wakesports and they dont have any in stock. So i guess ill just wait till my rdcshop.com order comes in. But if anyone has any other ideas, let me know.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Paola- I tried thru rdc.shop as well they told me they just got 30 in and they flew out the door. I obviously wasnt one of them. From what they said they werent expecting anymore in.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
The orange braided LF rope with knots and a "T" handle works awsome. I got mine from Cope and McPheters at the Pleasonton Boat Show.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-05-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have both the SL and the LF. Everyone likes the LF orange rope with the t handle. The rope is fatter and easier to hold with more options as to how long you can make the rope. IMO the best rope out there at the moment.
Old     (bkman211)      Join Date: May 2006       08-07-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
I have the Liquid Force rope with the T handle and really like it other than the fact that it put a ding in my gel coat. The caps on either end of the handle fell off and when a rider tossed the rope into the boat the metal insert dinged the boat... got to see if I can find new caps some where and superglue them on.