Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hello all,
Does anyone have pictures, or video of a weighted Sanger V230 wave or someone surfing behind it?

Does anyone have a picture of the transom. How much weight are people running. The boat hull from the limited pictures I can find looks sweet! Thanks
Duffy
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
So no one has ever surfed a V230? Seems odd
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
Maybe this topic would get some more views in the "Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles" section of the forum. I'd be interested in the answer as well.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
From what I read, it has the same basic hull as the V215 and V237, but with really large lockers, so you might be able to get lots of weight in it! I am getting the dimensions soon, then I can figure out how much weight they could hold.

Duffy
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2009, 2:22 AM Reply   
I was told that if you have the hard ballast tanks removed from the rear lockers, and had custom sized bags instead, you could fit a ton of weight back there. No exact figures, but definitely something that interests me.
Old    farrah            02-14-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
hey i have a v230. it's a fun wave on both sides, but you really need a lot of weight. it's like impossible to overweight it.

We like to (when we have it) put lead in the locker, then stack a couple sacks on top of that, then the 500lbers on the side seat and the back seat. then we have the center ballast for a little length on it.

(Message edited by farrah on February 14, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
Do you have any pictures? So the locker area is big?
Old    farrah            02-14-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
yea the lockers are pretty big. they are deep. ya know? i only have a couple pictures, and they don't really show the wave THAT much. i can show you them though if you want.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Anything would be great! I really like the look and size of the V230. How big of sacs do you put in the lockers? Do you have stock ballast in the lockers too?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
How does the wave compare to a V215 and or a V237? Do you know the dimensions of the lockers? Thanks for any and all help.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Also, can you estimate the amount of weight you have in the rear locker, as well as overall?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
I Scott from sanger take measurements, and he says the locker is only 25x25x36. Which would fit around 800#'s of weight.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
2007 Sanger V230. 500lbs. mid-ship, 750lbs (fly high) in rear lockers.

UploadUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-15-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
That regular side wave looks decent. Throw in another 1000 and that could be pretty massive.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-15-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
How far back is the that spine? How well does the 750 fit? Thanks for posting the pictures. I really like the look at the size of the sv230. Hows the freeboard, when it's weight well?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-15-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
Also, can you give your opinion of the waves on both sides.

Have you tried them under the same weight setups? is one better than the other? If the regular side is better, does it take much more weight to equal it on the goofy side?

Sorry for the 20 questions in this thread, haha, just really liking the sound of these boats so far.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-15-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
Andrew,
I had Scott from sanger email me about the hull, and he says it's basically a 237, just a little narrower and few other small differnces. If I can find a way to get around 1100 pounds in the back corner, it should be great! The area under the seats just isn't very large, so no enzo type sac, unless I want to cutout fiberglass!
Old    farrah            02-15-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy,
I couldn't find any of the pictures i have! ugh, Sorry.

The wave is good on both sides. I think the left (goofy) is btter. We try to stay away from too much weight on the front 'cause you don't really need it and i think it makes the wave long, but really small. So, I guess if you want it that way it might be better for you. We ony use center stock ballast tank.

We don't put any extra weight in it for the right (regular)... it could probably use more but it's good anyways.

Like I said though, this boat is super fun, but again THE MORE WEIGHT THE BETTER! lol. Sometimes we don't have enough weight and it could really ruin the day. :-(

(Message edited by farrah on February 15, 2009)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-16-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Fly High 750's fit well in the rear compartments and fill all the way. The wave is great on both sides, it may be a tiny bit cleaner on the starboard side. We have had 12 people in the boat while surfing and the wave was really big. In the pictures above there was only 4 people in the boat. I plan on picking up another 400lb. sack to use when there aren't many people in the boat. The V230 loves weight!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Surfdad,
I don't know if you are reading this post, but how does Dennis V215 or a V237 wave compare to your Tige's? I love the tiges meaty big wave. Thanks
Old    surfdad            02-16-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Hey Duffy,

I have yet to ride behind a 237 that wasn't challenged by wind and waves. Tulloch last year was crazy choppy and then Castaic was gale force winds plus LA County Fire gave me grief over ballast mid-way into the contest. I can't give you an informed opinion on that boat yet. I'd love to get a pull when the conditions were suitable.

My Tige is tall, a little steep and the pocket length is somewhat short. I am not a big fan of 20 foot long pockets, if the first 10 feet in unusable. The pocket needs to be useable space, not just further away from the boat. Otherwise you still have a 10 foot long pocket, it's just further away. :-)

The biggest difference between my old Tige and the Dennis' 215 is the transition. James loves the transition on the 215. The 215 has good height and a crisp lip, it's just not quite as tall as we are able to get on the Tige.

In my experience, a generous transition is a better wake than a taller, steeper wake. The steepest and tallest wake that I've ridden is the Epic and while it really booted James and allowed him generate higher airs, it was limiting on just about all other tricks. I could basically just trim and nothing else.

So...in terms of comparison, the 215 generates about the same length as my Tige, a tad longer. It's only marginally shorter in height compared to my Tige but has a more generous transition.

(Message edited by SURFDAD on February 16, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Sweet, that helps alot!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Surfdad,
Here is my ultimate question. I have narrowed down my search with these criteria.
1. Able to throw a good-great wave on both sides(easily)
2. 21-24 feet long
3. All or most of all ballast hidden, and mostly lead free
4. Large lockers for custom sacs(at least 900-1800 pound)
5. Cheap hopefully under 30k and perhaps under 25k(I will need to save some for ballast upgrade, etc..)

Here are my boats, that fit in my mind
Avalanche C4
Typhoon C4
Tige 22v
Tige 24v
Sanger V230(same basic hull as the V215-V230)

Which would you choose if you were me? I know, I know it's a tough decision:-)
Old    surfdad            02-16-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Duffy, I'm flatered that you are asking my opinion specifically, but I don't consider myself a boat expert. As long as you keep that in mind. I honestly don't know how some of the boats I've ridden behind were weighted.

From your list, ONLY :-)

The finest boat I have ever ridden was the OLD Tige 24V. I want to say...'05? No spray pockets, but also before the concave shape in the rear corners. Don't quote me on that year, but it is BEFORE the current year hulls. Big, meaty, good shape both sides and long'ish pocket length. The spine shaped close to the boat, so it was usable length.

I don't know about factory ballast, my Tige didn't have any, so I had to add an after-market pump. The 24V I rode had all ballast under the seats and no lead.

My second choice, and it's only slightly lower on the "best boat" scale, would be an avy. In my mind, it is just a solid boat. It does everything well, if not stellar. Shapes both sides, handles chop well, seems to weight easily, although the darkside would challenge the "all ballast hidden" without lead. I've ridden avy's where the wake was steep, and some that were mellow. The lip isn't marred dramatically by the roundover towards the front, so it's crisp mostly the full length.

Those would be my top two choices. Reiterating, I would NOT consider myself a boat expert.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Thank you so much, and you may not be an expert, but at least you have ridden a lot of well weighted boats! And I agree with the Tige 24v comment. My buddy has a 03 22v(no spray pockets) and his wave is great- if not amazing on both sides. We stuff about 1300 pounds in the locker and under the seats and it's amazing. I am ordering him a custom (enzo type) surf sac through fly high, and it's going to weight 1800 pounds! All hidden, his lockers are freaking huge. The avy can fit 1500-1600 pound custom (enzo type)surf sacs on each side, as long as it's a C4(no walkthrough transom) and I think it should be enough weight for a great wave. I really like the Typhoon(streched avalanche) I would love any and all extra room. Thanks again, hopefully someday we can ride together! I'll bring the beer and the gas money:-)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Don't yourself short surfdad! You rock! Goofy shoes and all:-)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
Did you run weight in the bow of the 24v? I think that if I put 1800 pounds in the locker it's going to need some weight in the bow.
Old    surfdad            02-16-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Those are cool shoes, aren't they?! :-)

That 24V belonged to one of the sponsored wakeboarders for Tige' I can't remember his name now, to save my life.

This is pushing the limits of my memory!!! Keep that in mind. :-) There was bow weight, but strictly people. I hate the "people count" as ballast that the manufacturers use - last time I checked, "peoples" are NOT a unit measure of mass, I also think it's how those folks attempt to mislead. :-) So I will estimate that the bow weight was close to 750 pounds, I think 4 or 5 folks in the bow.

This boat had factory ballast, hard tanks, but there wasn't much there. Maybe 500 lbs per tank? I'm sure there is some detail over at the Tige' website. There was a 750 stuffed on top that was maybe 500-600 pounds full, possible less. Then, lastly, about 1,200 pounds of people and beer :-) in the middle and along the surf side.

I believe that is total ballast around 2,950 pounds.

When they switched to surfing the darkside, two folks climbed up an onto the sundeck...maybe 300 pounds worth. It was noticeably weaker than the regular side, but clean and about the same length.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
How fast are you surfing behind your 23V?
Old    surfdad            02-16-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Typically 11. I never use more than 1,800 pounds of water and people ballast in TOTAL. We can slow down to 10 before the wake is garbage. 12 mph is about the upper limit for my boat with the 1,800 pounds configuration.

This was 11.2, TAPS at 4 and the total of 1,800 pounds of ballast. The face of the wake is clean, maybe one of the camera experts can explain why I get all that splash in there.

Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Check out this deal! Dennis sent it to me. I'm not ready to buy just yet, I still have 3 feet of snow in my yard. But someone else needs to jump on this now!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1037045911.html
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-18-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Duffy, You should jump on that 230. That's less than I paid for my 05 Sanger V210. Then I can come up and ride behind it this summer!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I would love to but I can't buy till I sell my current boat, and no one buys boats in North Idaho till the snow melts! Whatever boat I buy you can ride, and it's going to be a massive wave!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Smoking
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-18-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Yea I know what you mean Duffy. Winters in North Idaho are much different than down south. We came through Sandpoint at the end of December.The amount of snow was amazing and there was a lot of ice on Lake Pend Oreille.
My husband Joe and I will be up in July. I would love to ride behind whatever boat you decide on. We will have our Sanger with us too.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Since the OP question has been answered...

I am interested in getting a wind dam made for our V230 but I don't have the dimensions. Can anyone provide me with those?

Thanks, Patrick
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-12-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
I think you can order it from Sanger Patrick. I've got one on my 215. It's just a plastic trapezoid that drips into two carpeted rails in the walkthrough.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
I know I can order one from a dealer or factory, but I really wanted to to a custom smoked glass one with some etching (not sure yet). I have a place that will make it I just needed some dimensions. Maybe I will give a dealer a call.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
Heres a secret for you all Tige bottom and Sanger bottom very very very similar by looking at them I wonder who copied who. one co. 1954 startup one 1993 hmmm I wonder