Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-20-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
New article from Amber on the front page...
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-20-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Good article. We usually right in the evenings when everyone gets off work. Kids go first, then ladies, then guests, then me/owner/driver for that butter. hahaha
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
That's an interesting observation. I'll go first and last and in the middle and anywhere in-between...unless its cold then I'll go last unless we are sharing wetsuits then I'll go first.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
That's a very interesting article because in my crew it happens every time but you never really realize it. I usually ride first since it is my boat and none of my cheap buddies pay for much of anything. I pretty much follow Tim's approach though. First, second, fourth, second to last and last. As long as my arms can handle!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
My boat, my gas, my lake house but the truth is I have one other 2 max riders so getting your fill is never an issues. I just get the choice time.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
When its just myself and my family, I'm always first, because I'm usually the most pumped to ride. When I go out with other riding buddies, the owner of the boat always rides last, but other than that its often a battle. A snowboarder commented on it once, and thought we were all idiots for not wanting to ride first.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
I always ride first!
Old     (sharpechad)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Im filming a little section for the fun when wet with amber that should be up in a couple days. shes ripping
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Agreed, good article!
This one happens every now and then. Rock Paper Scissors!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2010, 3:52 AM Reply   
99% of the time we're on my boat, so I ride last.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-21-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
Weekends, I like to ride first and during the week last. My wife and I always fight over first and last and we are the only two on the boat!!! The majority of the time, I don't care when I ride.
Old     (mathias)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-21-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
I prefer not riding first because I then get inspiration from watching the rider(s) before me and get stoked to ride. Also, it's nice to stay warm as long as possible. (I live in Sweden)
Old    kaligirl            04-21-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
If it's a family outing...I always get to ride first because I'm usually pretty grumpy at the whole getting the boat, kids, snacks, drinks, towels, life vests, etc ready and my whole family knows Mom ain't gonna be happy till she gets her set in and if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Now midweek rides with my usualy crew...that's a different story...esp. when we're dry-suiting it in the winter. Never really thought about the difference before. Great article, Amber! I especially love Ben's "not gonna ride today...ope...changed my mind"...Classic!
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-21-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
That's a cool article. I seldom ride first - and I'm the boat owner. I like to see the best rider get the butter which usually means going first or last, depending on the time of day. First timers, normally don't go first. Seems like it is easier to teach them if you talk them through what to do and they watch the first person do it. Sometimes it is just like Amber says - just a big fat pass torch passing.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
I always like to ride second if it is my boat. Mainly because I want the wake to be perfectly dialed when I start my set lol. It always takes part of the first set to properly balance out the wake so there isn't any white wash and when you are loading down the boat to the max even though it is always the same setup, there is always a little white wash that needs to be balanced out. Since I am the pickiest about the wake being perfect, I'll drive the first set and manage the ballast to get it perfect. I always have to empty a little out from one side or the other to get it so it is even, and making sure there is enough weight in the front to prevent porpoising and getting the boat on plane properly. I guess it is a little selfish, but if I wasn't so meticulous about it, no one would do it to the point that I will and it lets everyone have a perfect wake for their set. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes of the first set for me to get it where I want it so it's not like the first rider is really losing any riding time, and generally the person who wants to ride first wants to be out there the most so they don't care if the wake is a little off. This is also the main reason my dad and I always get into a fight if he pulls me because he doesn't see any reason to have to even out the wake perfectly or even put weight in the boat in general. He thinks the only thing that is important is that it is getting exercise, so the size of the wake is unimportant. He also refuses to drive a double up because he doesn't like the "bumps" and power turns every time he picks me up no matter how many times i tell him not to. For some reason, he also is the only person who cannot keep the boat speed consistent with perfect pass. He doesn't realize that he still has to keep his hand on the throttle to make little adjustments to keep it the same speed. The only trick he likes to watch me do is raleys which are fun to do only every couple sets, not 10 in 1 set.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
^^^ same here.
I always ride second or third just so I make sure the wake is perfectly dialed.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-22-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
its my boat and i usually ride 2 or 3. we go everyday after work so its not a big deal and everyone gets to ride. better water at the end of the day anyway. i just hate riding first.
Old     (boardOK)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
We just do rock, paper, scissors Like Justin mentioned.

Last edited by boardOK; 04-22-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add more
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-22-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
almost always last on my boat, but first if the waters real cold and no one is eager to jump in
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Ha, this article cracked me up. I hate riding first and often use Benny G's excuse of "I probably won't ride today". Then, when the lake turns to butter, get one last set! Also, like the article mentioned, I like others to ride first so I can settle in and get pumped.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
yeah owner usually goes last, doesnt seem right