Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Werky1090)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-25-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
So i have a 2014 lf deluxe and after some time (when it got scratched on the bottom) it started to slow down and catch on unit obstacles, only on unit. My friend has a ss and he rubbed skate wax on the bottom of his board and he was flying on unit unit obstacles so today i tried that. I rubbed the wax on the bottom then i melted it with a hair dryer and scraped the excess off with a ruler. I didn't put any wax on the nose and tail because i do pretty high presses and i like it slower to have more control.

I just wanted to know your opinions on this.
P.s. If the weather is good i'm going to try it tomorrow but it will be on some homemade obstacles, not the unit ones.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-25-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Interesting idea, I've never tried it. I do think that wax or no wax, an SS base will fly compared to an LF base that is good and worn in.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-25-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
I had a deluxe a few years ago and thought it would be fun to try hot waxing my board like a snowboard for the hell of it. … and the results… DONT APPLY HEAT. because i used an iron and applied heat, the sintered base released from the foam core and created slight pockets of air. didn't really affect my board afterwards.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-25-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
A couple of the guys at the local cable wax up there boards, a few different brands as well on the boards but its all UNIT features.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-26-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
I rode Velocity this weekend and everybody had wax on the dock.. I humored the idea and threw a layer on the bottom of my Ronix Bill. I definitely noticed a difference, but I wasn't a huge fan of how fast I slid across the obstacles (also all UNIT). I'll go without it for the time being, but I did get a bar of it to take with me in case I change my mind in the future.
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-27-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
What kind of wax bar did you use? I started a thread similar to this a few weeks ago and someone mentioned that they use skateboard curb wax. Is that basically the same?
Old     (Werky1090)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-27-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ok so i went wakeboarding yesterday on non unit obstacles and i also tried a metal handrail and i was FLYING and those obstacles were ****. For the wax i saw on youtube how to make skate wax at home so you just melt some tea light candles and poured in a little bit of vegetable oil. It works great but it wears out quickly.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-27-2014, 11:13 AM Reply   
I put some skate wax on my LF Grind base and didn't really notice a big difference. Decided to give a slingshot a try, and it was night and day. I'll be sticking with slingshot instead of messing with waxes and such.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-27-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I read the title and thought something completely different. I have waxed my board, but not for that purpose and not with that kind of wax.
I have used an automotive paste wax on mine, but that was just to help get rid of some oxidation on the finish and keep it looking better for longer.
I only ride boat, not cable, so I wouldn't really have a use for the other kind. There have been talks of them installing a cable a few hours from here, but the local government keeps shutting the idea down. Also no obstacles are allowed on the river, so no luck for homemades there either.
Good interesting thread though. Do those of you that wax find it's quicker in the water as well or just smoother on the obstacles?
Old     (prospectsnow)      Join Date: Mar 2014       10-27-2014, 11:03 PM Reply   
Sintered bases should be fine to wax the same way a snowboard is waxed. We use sintered UMHWPE on all of our boards and wax it to heal up the scratches that develop over time.

Shouldn't have any bubbles. Could be a lot of things from when it was manufactured to epoxy bonds breaking on the foam from riding.

We find that waxing makes for a smoother ride and better slide.

Its not to say it won't work on boards that don't have a sintered base. Sintered UMHWPE means that the base plastic is porous which allows wax to be absorbed. Anything else, you can wax it, but it does nothing more than a surface coating that is gone as soon as you hit a feature.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-28-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Going along with what Prospect said (but conflicting a little)... It will depend on the heat you use to apply the wax. You can ruin a snowboard base & the epoxy bond if you over heat it with an iron. IF you are going to iron in some, I would make sure to get a proper waxing iron & turn it way down.
You may not have to wax at all... have you tried just scraping the bottom of your board? It might just be a build up on the bottom after hitting features. You can use a metal scraper from snowboard tuning.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-28-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
I've also heard that wetsanding can help, probably helps to remove buildup
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-29-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
^Haven't tried wetsanding.... might be worth looking into... probably a little bit more messy
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
Completely unnecessary. Like Tom said, get a better bottom board if you're needing to apply wax. It's water and plastic.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-30-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have ridden an SS right out of the wrapper & also one that was way worn in. I noticed a difference in the sliding speed for sure. (on Unit & AGT features)
You know the other factor nobody has mentioned yet.... the air/water temp & how it effects the plastic molecules.