Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
SInce Ive garnered close to 8 years of knowledge from this board, I figured I was finally ready to pay my dues and give back. Let me first start off by saying that anyone who is truly interested in having a legit boat system....take these guys advice on here. This is my FOURTH iteration of this, and even half way through if I would have saved just a little more money and bought the right stuff, I wouldnt have had to do this 4 times and probably at three time the cost of doing it right the first time! Oh well, its just money, right?? This install took place over about 9 months. It wouldve been nice to do it all at once, but the money wasnt there, hence the hybrid hybrid. Who needs all the same brands in your boat stereo??

Starting off with the cabin - Bullet 6.5 coaxials- I want to thanks Dave from Earmark on this one. He answered numerous emails about these and although I have them in the stock location behind the pantyhose, they sound great. I wasnt ready to have the speaker exposed and all of my idiot friends trying to poke a hole in the cone after too many pops. A solid, quality in boat speaker. And those are run off an ARC 300.4 that I have to give thanks to Ryan at Chucktronics for giving me a smoking deal on. That amp is a beast running those little 6.5's. Ryan had some killer ideas about my overall system and was very helpful.

Sub- A kicker L7 10 incher in a box i made out of mdf that goes in the cooler location. Running off a Kicker 750.1. Not ideal by any means, but it rattles okay. I will be attempting the GW "hump removal" and heater relocation over the winter to squeeze a twelve under the dash, firing into the cabin. Probably going to go with an Exile or Wetsounds sub amp, combo. Not sure yet.

Tower - Exile 6.5 Hybrid setup. Want to give thanks to Brian for helping me with this one. I orignally ordered 2 pairs of surf speakers on demo that he gave me a great price on, and after I got those babies up there, I just wanted the "full look" ( and sound). So the XM7's were a logical choice. I wired the tower so it would be easy to add another pair. For all of those that wire the tower on your own or do it for a living, kuddos to you. What a pain in the A$$!!!! i still have holes i need to plug etc, but hey, when you DIY, it is what is. After I put the 7's on, I wired in a new Harpoon amp, leaving a little spacer between it and the amp board for cooling. All i can say is after running that thing all day long in high temps, I have never once had that thing shut down on me. I am very impressed with that tower amp. Overall I love the look of the smaller cans, and out here in Wetsounds territory, I wanted to be a little different. I dont see many boats with Exile gear as the nearest shop is down in the bay, so Im happy running Exiles up top at this point.

I just threw a set of the old Exile coaxes in the bow, behind the pantyhose, and wired in a ZLD under the dash. I love that controller. Even though I hardly ever adjust anything more then the volume, it looks clean and the blue backlight goes with my janky LED strips I installed in the interior. Tuning was a pain in the ass, and I will say that when these professionals give you advice, take it!! Again, thanks to Brian, as the guy will answer his phone or respond to emails in the middle of the night, on Saturday, etc. Overall, not the baddest system, but for my budget and skillset, it works. Im happy with the sound, and when underway, if its cranked, its almost painful to listen to cruising at 40mph. Thanks to all of the people I worked with and bought products from. And to Dave who started it all. This site is invaluable for us idiots that dump thousands of dollars of electronic equipment into a floating device!
Attached Images

Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Awesome setup and a great write up! I don't think your ever going to go wrong with a mix of higher end equipment.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       06-22-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Great setup man, I actually have the same boat, color scheme etc... You're the second I've ever seen. Not running quite the system you are though, kudos.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-22-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
hump removal is definitely worth it. I had a cooler box like yours with two 13W3v2's... a single ported 12 under the dash will blow that out of the water. Fire the woofer into the hull. I've gone through many many different woofer setups in my 210, two twelves firing into the hull has worked the best. Great looking boat.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-22-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
D-rock. Thanks for the props and glad your stoked with your new setup. Exile is committed to supporting what we sell. That often times means calls after hours or on weekends when your actually in the boat working on it.... Seems like lately we have been running an 18 hour cycle with all the Australia boats being built.

I think thats a pretty cool write up you did about the history of your build. It's nice to see people give back to the community and share their experiences.

Exile is glad to be part of your mix! Your boat really does look sweet.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-22-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
Nice work!!!
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thanks man. Anyone ever just pull their heater all together? I remember using it a few times when I first got the boat, but it seems the last few years I have used it less and less.....Im just thinking it might be easier just to eliminate
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-23-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
i dont have a heater, so it wasnt an issue, but i'm sure it's easy to remove anyway. It's warm enough here year around to not need one.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-25-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
D-rock, sick job! Did you have that drop in carpet made or order it? Got any more pics / info on it? Pretty interested in carpet options for my 02.
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
It was a freebie (if you could say that for buying a new boat!) back from California Correct Craft. I like it. I just take it out and hose it off and it works fine. I can take pictures of it on the driveway if you want. PM me