Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
What is the cheapest online gear shop you guys know of. I love to support my local shop as much as the next guy, but I just don't have the money to pay the top dollar right now.

Thanks alot!
-Matt
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-05-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
ebay.
Old     (airborne7)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-05-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Bordersmall.com
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
IMO, Ebay is filled with shops still charging jacked prices.

I'd go on the used section of this site.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
If your looking for hyperlite 08 and 09 I got a huge crazy hook up...
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Yess.. Tell me more!
Haha
PM me!
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-05-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
If you find something you like bat boardersbestbuy.com or anothersmokindeal.com, that'll be the cheapest. Boards, bindings, handles, vests... wait a week or two and whatever you want will show up there.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
I know the shop I frequent will price match or at least try and compete with the online shops!

Did you ask them to match? Sometimes it doesn't hurt?
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-05-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Agreed - Buy Local
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I've bought some great stuff pretty cheap at Evogear. We don't really have a local shop around here.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
grizzly sports is good. Ebay +1
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
If you can't buy local then these are the best on the net for price and service:

Boardersmall.com
Evogear.com
Grizzly-sports.com
Wakegiant.com

I have found that the rest of the online shops won't be priced much different than your local shop. Therefore, you will only be saving the tax.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-05-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Grizzly! They are there to hook you up. And they take care of you after the fact as well. Big fan! You get better prices when you call.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-05-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
www.the-house.com plus they through in TONS of Feebies, like Shades, Handles, Ropes, etc.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-05-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
Grizzly-sports by far. You have to call them though.They sell a lot of blem stuff but you can't even notice it.
Old    sdahockey21            03-05-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
4wake.com closeout section. Tons of old stuff. Some good deals there, kinda hidden in on the site.

http://www.4wake.com/istar.asp?a=3&dept=SALE
Old     (wakechic21v)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-07-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
http://www.funksboards.com}
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
No retailer, online or local, can advertise current year gear for any less than MSRP or at least they shouldn't be. So lets do the math for an online retailer, MSRP + shipping, sure they may have it in stock, but can you look at it or touch it? NO. Let's do the same scenario for your local shops, most likely they have it in stock, you can touch and feel it, you can shoot the breeze with someone else who loves wakeboarding and most likely, they will either have a demo program or if you are a regular customer, they most likely have a discount program set up for you, even on current year gear. In the long run, you are going to get a better deal at your local shop and you will be able to take it home with you the same day.

I am all for everyone making money, but for f$%& sake SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP. They support the scene in your area so why not. I would even be willing to bet you could find previous years gear at a cheaper price than you would online as well.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-07-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I agree with Wake. A couple weeks ago a guy in my crew bought a 08 Transc. platty and 4th or 5th hit off the wake it snapped. Contacted his local shop (where he purchased it) and had a new board in less then a week. The shop beat the online price he had and no issues with returning it.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-07-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I second www.Grizzly-Sports.com for sure! Mike and RV are awesome and will work with you. Get to know them and they will throw sick deals your way. I won't buy anywhere else
Old     (roostercogburn)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-07-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
And people wonder why so many shops are closing their doors...
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-07-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Right.....I suppose. But, I don't have a local board shop to purchase from. In my experience, the guys at Grizzly are awesome and work hard to give you the best deal....right off the bat.

To me, they are almost local because I know them so well.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I totally agree in supporting your local shops but I don't think droppin F bombs and demanding that we do it is the right method to spread the good word. Also, a lot of us don't have a local shop unless you consider Sports Chalet a pro shop. And I'm happy to pay a few bucks more to buy local but having to beg for a discount and then still having to pay over a $100 bucks extra for a board or bindings to a shop with shoddy service isn't my deal. Reward the shops that take care of the customer and let the others fold.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Next time you go in ask them if they'll match on-line prices. The shop I work at will match any on-line shop as long as it is a credible source that is selling new stuff below MSRP, because like WakeSTL said they aren't allowed to sell below MSRP if they are a licensed dealer.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-08-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Not sure if someone all ready mentioned it, but I have found really good deals here; www.boardstop.com
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-08-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PRO SHOP! ESPECIALLY IN THESE TIMES!!!!
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-08-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
BUYWAKE.COM
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
From my experience all my local shops don't know jack about jack and don't care. I'd rather give my bux to people like @ grizzly who care, know, and are in business for more than numbers. The only thing I get @ local shops is hyperlite claws (which they steal out of binding boxes so someone else is ripped when they get em home). They don't EVER have the new release dvd's. I would be all about supporting a local shop if they acted more like the online retailers.

An 06 murray for $450 someone needs slapped.
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
^^^ Agreed.

My local shop over charges for everything and doesn't know jack. I recently dropped $650 for an 07 roam with 07 factions to "support my local shop" (in addition to the thousands I've spent there over the past few years.) Oh and it was priced at $750 and the guy was visibly pissed for cutting me a deal. Oh and you can get 07 factions and an 08 roam at boardersmall for $260.

There's a lot of rhetoric on these boards about supporting local shops, but if they are that out of touch with how gear should be priced or the level of service they should provide then I say forget 'em. I've consistently had way better experiences buying online than I have buying from my local shop.

Matt - Greenhouserideshop.com is another good place to check out.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-09-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Then you should stop supporting your local Zumiez, or Dicks sports, or what ever the box store you are buy @ is. IF you are supporting your local PRO shop & they "don't know jack" talk to the manager & let them know they have useless employees & they are making the sport look retarded......
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
I'm referring to a "pro shop" Zumiez and Dick's are BETTER than the "pro shop". The manager is worried about numbers and product placement, if he does that all right it will sell itsself. right?
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
It's my local pro shop that I'm talking about as well. I deal with the owner, so I mean short of telling him that he's useless and makes the sport look bad there isn't too much I can do. I still buy a ton of stuff from there, but when I feel like I'm getting ripped off and he thinks I'm an a-hole for not paying full price with a smile on my face it definitely makes me sympathize with people who'd rather save cash and get a deal online.

(Message edited by player138 on March 09, 2009)
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-09-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Everyone spouts "support your local shop".. but when Copes was going down in flames people practically threw a party.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-09-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
I always buy where I can get the best price. Some times that is local but more often I buy online. If the local shop can't match the lowest online price then they do not get my business. Simple as that.

I am for supporting local business but not when it costs me more. Especially in today's economy.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-09-2009, 11:10 PM Reply   
If you're local pro shop won't work for your business, they don't deserve your business. But if that's the case, an online retailer isn't the only other option. Get on the phone and call a reputable pro shop. There are plenty of them out there. A pro shop's first obligation should be to their customers. Any shop worth supporting will know this, and will work for your business. I guarantee that if you get on the phone and speak to someone, they will not only get you a good deal, but will give you valuable advice that you just don't get by ordering online. I'm more than happy to spend half an hour with someone to help them find the board that's right for them, and get it to them at a fair price. Granted, a shop will not always be able to beat an ebay price, but what about when you have issues down the road? Knowing the tendency of wakeboarding equipment to break or be defective, having a shop that will back up what they've sold after they've sold it is definitely worth paying a little bit extra.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-09-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
My local shop is selling 08 gear for like 15-20% off thinking it is a huge sale and not coming off the price. I would like to support locally but when prices on the internet are over 60% off it's kinda tough in these times.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-09-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
evan, like I said, call a reputable shop. I don't wanna plug any of them, but just look up at the top of this page, and click on any one of those ads. Ask them about price matching, if they won't do it, call another shop.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
www.wileyski.com the northwests most established shop IMO... they will usually work with you to get you what you want for the right price.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2009, 1:15 AM Reply   
Granted, a shop will not always be able to beat an ebay price, but what about when you have issues down the road?

That's why I say grizzly sports. The heelbed on my boots ripped out they stood behind it. Even had my RMA in the mail before I sent the damaged gear out. I wasn't bagging on ALL local shops give em a shot but like you said spend the bux @ a place that deserves it. I do :-) online.
Old     (chicagomastercraft)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-10-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
www.liquidsportsonline.com
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-11-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
wait.... where did my reply from yesterday go... Oh well, whatever.... skip it, 'cause it's not like any of you listen anyway....
Old     (wakechic21v)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-11-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
funksboards.com has every 15th order is 50% off
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
Boardersbestbuy, Grizzly and Perfski are all good. I had purchased my last two boards from Evo, but I called them the other day and had to speak to some rude ass dude.

I just picked up a 2008 Lyman from BBB for $189 shipped. The Grizz was out of them.