Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
How much fuel would an old nautique, say a 2001 from the 80s burn? How many gallons per hour of skiing? And how much does ballast change this figure? I'm from the UK so fuel prices are different, so if you could give me an idea of how much it would burn I can calculate what it would cost me... thanks!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
there is really more to it than what you are asking, but on an average day running about 1000 pounds of ballast, we burn anywhere from 4-5 gallons in about an hour to 2 hours of riding without falling too much. just switched out my fuel filter and got a new prop and its dramatically better! run 1600 pounds and it gets a lot worse in my opinion, and of course pulling beginners with ballast just drains you too. Over all Id say she does pretty good though
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-26-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
i can do a 5 hour day... mostly newbies with tons of falls.. on a half tank approx 15 gallons..
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-26-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
if you cant aford the gas, you cant afford the boat!..what these guys said is preety close..a lot of variables...barefootin you will burn a lot more..i run on average about 1400 lbs over stock(just boat and acc.) and will burn about 4-5 gallons an hr. boarding..
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
i have an 86 nautique with a big block 454, usually 1200lbs of ballast plus 2-3 people, plus fuel. 8-9 an hour. When teaching people we dump the ballast and have like 6 people in the boat, and get 7 or so an hour if we run hard. We do a lot of surfing which kills you on gas.

Went camping for a week averaged burning 12 gallons in 4-5 hours with a lot of time spent sitting or swimming
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-27-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
Schuey if your in the UK look at getting the 2001 on propane (LPG). I've run all by boats on it and its around half the price if not less. If your at a club with onsite tank you can pay from 25p per litre.

A 2001 on petrol with some ballast will cost you about £7 worth of fuel for a 15-20 minute set.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
I have a friend in the UK where the boat belongs to a club. It's on LP gas, too. Petrol is too expensive, he says.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-28-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
LPG for non road use is about 25p per litre (about $2.50 a gallon). Petrol is like 95p per litre ($9.50 a gallon)

Its a huge difference!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
how would you convert an engine to being able to use LPG? Does it mess with engine life?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-28-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
A well installed LPG conversion will increase engine life dramatically.

Its a pretty simple conversion on older carb'd engines, taking only an afternoon or so. My EFI engine took a bit longer as it needed a bit of work with the electronics.

If your not familiar with LPG its not something a you should try to DIY but there are many websites and stuff with all the info. In the UK you can expect to pay from £750 for a conversion which with the fuel savings can be made back in the first season.