Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
What was the first boat marketed to a wakeboarding consumer? What options did it have? What did it look like? Who made it? When was it made?

I know Epic boats claim that they are "the world's first wake boat" but I know there were plenty of wakeboarding boats before them. Epic, what is your premise for saying your the first wake boat?

Sorry for the double question post
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-29-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Nautique was the first boat to have a tower specifically for wakeboarding. Mc then came out with the xstar in 98.The hull was started in 96, but not specific for wakeboarding and is still around today. I have no idea about the epics claim. They are a new company, I thought.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Epic's claim is a delicate marketing twist. Essentially, they suggest that other manufactures modified skiboats to be wakeboard boats. They on the other hand started from the ground up, designing every detail with one goal, wakeboarding. Because their boats were designed only for wakeboarding they claim to be "the world's first wake boat." It's quite a subjective argument, I suppose there is some validity to their claim being they designed the hull to plow deeper into the water as speed increases.

This argument could go on for days. Eitherway, Marketing is a wonderful thing and kudos for Epic for stepping into a mature industry and attempting to compete...For us, the consumer, technology that one manufacture develops, eventually will make it to the other manufactures. This only helps our sport. It doesn't matter where the tech comes from. More competition among boat manufactures means lower prices to us.

Hopefully one of the Epic guys will articulate a response better than I have.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-29-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
Craig, most objectibe post I have seen on the subject.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-30-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
I am not trying to argue Craigs point, but the new xstar with the pickle fork could be considered to be the first hull actually designed for wakeboarding. I am not sure about other manufacturers hull designs and when they came about so thats why I am using the mc as an example.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yea I know the new style x-star was designed ground up just for wakeboarding. My proof... try skiing behind one. So the first boat designed specifically for wakeboarding cann't possibly be their platform because the new x-star was around since 03' (I think).

Also, does anyone have a pic of the first nautique in production with a tower?

(Message edited by chqwakeboarder on June 30, 2006)
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-30-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
The mid-1997 X-Star was the first real wakeboarder specific boat. But the Sport Nautique-based Air Nautique (which had sport nautique lettering and not the goofy buzzsaw logo) with the early, angular, patented tower was around for certian pros since 1996. Dean Lavelle was the first to put it through its paces

(Message edited by juniorhawk on June 30, 2006)
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Actually, CC's Pro Air Nautique with the Total Wake Control or TWC hull that was introduced in 1999 could also be considered the first wake-specific hull introduced. The design was supposed to address pull the hull into the water at wake speeds equivalent to around 500lbs of ballast, plus shape the wake.

It wasn't a successful design, but it was a hull designed specifically for wakeboarding and it definitely pre-dates the 2nd generation XStarts and Epic boats.

(Message edited by superairdawg on June 30, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-30-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
I don't have the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was a Centurion. I think they called it the Wave or something to that effect. I've never seen one in person, but people have posted pics. It had a huge built in swim step and an extended pylon.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-30-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
Perhaps you didnt read the question. This question has been answered correctly, twice in this thread.

It was the mid 1997 rebranding of the direct drive Master Craft Prostar 205. This was the introduction of the X-Star. Not a Correct Craft. Not a Centurion.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on June 30, 2006)
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-30-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
as far as hull design, etc.. wasnt the xlv designed from the ground up for wakeboarding, and before the picklefork xstar?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
From marketing stand point, junior hawk is right, but from a design (ground up) stand point, it was the Centurion that Evan mentioned. Although, I can't confirm the "Wave" name.

I rode behind one long before the new picklefork xstar or anything else mentioned. It did indeed have a huge swim step and wrap around seating from the back, up past the driver. Pretty cool boat actually.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Here it is:

http://www.caboats.com/used-boat/5170.htm
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
In the description is says "it is ready for skiing or wave boarding"
They have the first ever wakeboarding boat and the whole time they have been wave boarding. Doesnt that suck
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-30-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
juniorhawk, the hull was introduced as a ski hull. Complete with AWSA tournament approved, so it wasn't designed for WB. They just stumbled onto a great hull for WB and threw in a pole and some ballast.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-30-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
There is a wave in the Wake vid 24/7. I can't remember which girl boarder is driving it off hand, I always thought they were a little small for a boarding boat. As far rebranding goes MC did have the 205/x-star in 97. I remember CC having the first tower boat in 98 with the air logo because it was also the year they started trying leasing boats like cars. I looked at that option that year but the payments were no different than buying a boat.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
is "objectibe" a word?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
http://www.centurionboats.com/aboutus/history.html

Check out 1995
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-30-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
We have a winner! The '95 Wave. Good call Evan. I always thought it was CC who had the first out.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-30-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
what about bayliners wake challenger that was 1995 or 1996 and it was a v-drive!}
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
IF we are going by V drives check
http://www.centurionboats.com/aboutus/history.html
Check 1986
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
Hijack on-

Kevin, I need an e-mail address at Centurion to answer a couple questions regarding PP and an issue we're having with the audible alarm on the boat, I thought you might now who to contact at the factory. Thanks

Hijack off
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
IF it is a PP problem I would always go to source http://www.perfectpass.com/ They are great people to work with and know there product.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
THe V drive actually goes back to the 50's
I think CC built a V drive pleasure boat in the 50s or 60s. Seems like someone posted a picture of one.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yes, we have thrown around the marketing phrase "The World's First Wake Boat" because I believe I am the first crazy guy to sit down and really design a "Wake Boat" from scratch. If you haven't read the back story it is here: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=296 Other manufactures have surely made boats that are great Wakeboard Boats and the heritage is loooong if you trace the sport back thru trick-skiing and Slalom. I always thought the "Wave" was the first attempt at integrated boat/tower/ballast. It seems by the record books to be the first Wake-Capable standard offering by a company. I don't think they marketed it very hard and eventually it kind of got lost in the mix and was abandoned by Centurion only a few years before WakeBoarding really started to hit the "Popular" Scene. The design does still live on today and is now produced by Gekko. I haven't had a pull behind one but it looks like fun and I've seen some early marketing pics of the WakeSurf and it looked awesome. Anyways, Epic has taken a bit of flack for the "World's First" stuff, but I believe our 23v to be just that. I sat down one day and said "I want to build a Wake Boat". Not a skiboat, or a all around boat but a real deal ,only for WakeBoarding, type of boat. I think MasterCraft is still the only one anyone could really argue tried to do the same thing(if you were to REALLY analyze hull designs). The X-star came out a year into my little drive-way built project. It is an amazing boat and only furthered my belief that people really are craving something new/different/and Wake-Specific. They completely changed the style of their boats and gave the sikboat industry a real kick in the pants. I am a fan :-) I like the design and the way they build their boats. I like the Malibu aesthetics, CC simple designs(except the 220) and Centurions cleanability :-) I like boats and hope to make something that others might like as well. Although our 23v is a bit different, I hope people enjoy the wake, the maintanability and ease of use with all the crazy features we have included. But I guess the Final Answer is: I believe the "Wave" was the first boat marketed to the wakeboarding consumer...